JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was cleaning out a range bag and I found a small, metal part that I can't identify.

Fast facts:
  1. It is about the size of nickle.
  2. I'm not aware of any pew that is broken, but I also can't identify his part.
  3. One side looks to be broken off something.
  4. It was found stuck on the feedlips of a STANAG-pattern magazine. It doesn't appear to go to it, but it is maybe a clue.
Pictures:

thumbnail_IMG_3308.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3309.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3310.jpg

And magazine stuck to:

thumbnail_IMG_3312.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

Go stick the empty mag in that SBR AR of yours and pull the charging handle, see if it locks back.

Leave this here just in case.

Is the magazine follower in tact?
Here's a pic of the magazine I found it stuck to. I don't really recognize this one, but it was in the bag.

thumbnail_IMG_3313.jpg
That first pic looks a lot like the busted off end of an AR bolt catch

View attachment 1309975
Ah, it sure does look like that. I'm down in Grants Poop, eh, Pass on family biz, but will dig out the little CAR-15 thingy when I get home.

Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity @CountryGent did you ever pull the trigger a few times when the upper wasn't on the lower?
Not to my recollection and I can't think of why I would have. Though, granted, I rarely shoot that pew. My better half didn't as I do all the maintenance on the firearms, including disassembly and such.

I did, however, have a weird malfunction a while back in which the carbine was jammed up big time. Couldn't clear it on the home range, so took it back, tore it down, cleaned and lubed everything, and put it back together. Since then it has run fine. I honestly don't recall if the bolt hold-open wasn't working, but I can test it when I get home.

Not to my recollection and I can't think of why I would have. Though, granted, I rarely shoot that pew. My better half didn't as I do all the maintenance on the firearms, including disassembly and such.

I did, however, have a weird malfunction a while back in which the carbine was jammed up big time. Couldn't clear it on the home range, so took it back, tore it down, cleaned and lubed everything, and put it back together. Since then it has run fine. I honestly don't recall if the bolt hold-open wasn't working, but I can test it when I get home.
I ask as that's usually how they break, or at least weaken. The hammer hits it when the upper isn't on if one were to pull the trigger. With some force too.

The different mag could also been what broke it. That looks like a lancer, which has reinforced feed lips. Metal to metal with a minor part off spec might be what broke it. Some mag and ARs just don't get along, example below. This mag never engages the bolt stop.

1668276655512.jpeg

Here's a pic of the magazine I found it stuck to. I don't really recognize this one, but it was in the bag.

View attachment 1310046

Ah, it sure does look like that. I'm down in Grants Poop, eh, Pass on family biz, but will dig out the little CAR-15 thingy when I get home.

Thanks guys.
The back of that mag looks pretty chewed up. Whatever gun it was in didn't seem to get along with it!

Roger that. Thanks much @Reno. We normally just use metal 20-rounders in that carbine, with an occasional 30-rounder of the same material. But that plastic one was found in the range bag, so maybe that's a clue. If that mag doesn't get along with the little carbine, easy enough to remedy.

aero lower?
No, the lower is from Ruger. The shorty upper I'm pretty sure is Palmetto, though I am going from memory from some years ago. Other than the Form 1-related (upper, engraving) the only thing I changed is the pistol grip and added a silencer. So nothing in the internals would have been swapped.

On that note, can anyone recommend a replacement part that:

• Is the correct part(s).
  • Won't likely break again.
  • Just a plain old AR type part that fits a basic CAR-15-ish rifle.
Doesn't have to be anything special because, candidly, not a high priority. When we get home tomorrow I can inspect the carbine to confirm if that is what it came from. Thanks much.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top