JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have pictures, but I trust you have the vision that I do. Some simple examples are found right here in Tigard. Locally swat teams, plastic shields in front of all black with heavy boots, all black squad cars with matching uniforms, or the original street model "Ninja Turtles" are each meant to intimidate, elicit or educe fear, inaction, and cowering. Actions too on a local level are meant to intimidate. The matching picture in my mind is of Peron's Argentina, Pinochet's Chile, Negroponte's Panama (or was he from Columbia) , and others. "The Look" is for affect.

Amen brother!

Haven't seen anything that intimidating so far. Little guys in Black Pajamas running around in dark with guns usually made me want to Cop a Squat.

From a different perspective. Let's go back about 65 years. Imagine you are an uneducated Japanese soldier on a small island.The largest people that you have ever seen average 5'5" and 150 lbs.

You have never seen an American, but you have been indoctrinated to believe that they are sub-human devils, who eat babies alive. You have no reason to believe otherwise.

You are watching the ocean, because you know that they are going to attack your small island. The sun is rising, and you are scared, tired, and wondering what you will encounter when they attack.

Suddenly, out of the surf, you see this guy walk up onto the beach. I'm thinking the intimidation factor would become pucker factor in short order.

UDT0001.jpg

I doubt that many of us that ever wore a uniform are very intimidated by military or police uniforms. That is all they are - clothes. Being intimidated by the force the people who wear them potentially wield is another thing. Military weapons are efficient and even small unit tactics and skills are difficult to overcome unless you can maneuver adeptly - and have some idea of what they are doing. Misuse of military or police power should anger everyone. It is not something the individual can do a whole lot against without some help and organization around him/her - except get away to fight another day.

I doubt that many of us that ever wore a uniform are very intimidated by military or police uniforms. That is all they are - clothes. Being intimidated by the force the people who wear them potentially wield is another thing. Military weapons are efficient and even small unit tactics and skills are difficult to overcome unless you can maneuver adeptly - and have some idea of what they are doing. Misuse of military or police power should anger everyone. It is not something the individual can do a whole lot against without some help and organization around him/her - except get away to fight another day.

Very well said....

^ i dont think they are from panama.

people in Latin America don't tend to have blond hair.

unless you meant it as a expression as in "sweet Zeuses beard!"

then i whole heatedly agree

You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to the extra weight. I used to jump with 180 lbs of gear on me then hump 120+ lbs of gear for literally miles as an Infantryman. Ranger and Airborne units accept the fact that we drop behind enemy lines and are surrounded by the enemy so we pack pretty heavy. My LCE, K-pot, and Pro mask weighed in at 97lbs w/o body armor. Then add in my 65 lbs of radios/batteries, ammo, food, water, mortar rounds, explosives, and clothes and I was pushing around 200 lbs when I weighed 185 lbs. It wasn't much fun being a platoon and then battalion RTO. I'd much rather be a door gunner on a Blackhawk again!

Ah the good old days!
One particularly grueling exercise during JROC (Junior Regiment Officers Course) called Long Cuff. Basically a long range reconnaissance patrol over 48 hours. 4 man patrols. We started at reasonable weight - about 45 lbs in the pack plus our standard 35 lb webbing. the first 12 miles we picked up our "ammo" (an ammo tin full of sand), 48 hours rations, radio batteries and last (thankfully) a 5 gallon jerry can full of water. We only had to carry those for 10 miles - we were resupplying another unit with fuel.
The next 45 miles or so were basically TABs between various tasks - live firing exercises, first aid simulations with stretcher runs, a nice 8 mile stretch in NBC 4 Romeo, then some decontamination drills and more live firing. People were dropping like flies because it was middle of summer and about 34 degrees Celsius (about 93 F).
To end the whole exercise a 1 mile run in 12.5 minutes up a gradual hill, with all the gear less jerry can - we estimated about 130 lbs. Last 200 metres with CS gas! (so respirators on again) yay!
It was a rite of passage in the regiment.

I find I have very few photos from actual field exercises back in those days - I think it's because a camera back then weighed at least 7 oz and it was all about weight saving!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top