JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hose to your exhaust pipe, down into the tunnel. 20-30 minutes should be enough.

This is what I do. If you catch them before they make too many mounds, it only takes one time at 15-20 mins. Many many tunnels and mounds might take serveral tries. I bought the hose to exhaust attachemnt boot at the local Ace Hardware.

-umrek

I've seen just about any and all uses of ways to rid of moles. I wish I had a mole hunting pet. But I despise dog or cat poop in my yard. My best method is I use fertilizer on the yard. Especially, heavy around the property line, followed up with a heavy dose of lime. Since doing this, they don't enter my yard, but work the fence line hard. To the point that I have to stamp down the soil around the fence posts once a year. And I use the Victor traps. They work best for me.

DSC_8873.jpg

^ i like that idea, as a young dumber kid i once found the main tunnel opened it up pored down a few gallons of gas and used two wires hooked up to a car battery........ Im lucky my father didnt kill me.

It does seem that they don't like Lime, Fertilizer, and I also noticed Triazide really keeps them away (probably kills all their food). I just have too big a yard to keep up on that stuff.

I got some cinch traps but so far they are not as effective as the good old fashioned Victor Claw.

my simple two cents worth... the traps that folks have been mentioning really do work well and the dynamite will be a nice touch as well, BUT.... if you want to fix the problem forever you have to kill off what they eat which is under your turf. They love grubs (at least in the city area) and a simple routine of laying a grub/insect killer each fall (just before rains start) then again in Febuary will take care of the grubs and insects that feed on your turf which will in turn kill the moles that tear up your yard. I know this probably isn't very realistic for those who have a ton of property, and in that case I would resume the use of dynamite lol.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to mention that the picture you show, is indeed of a mole, and not a gopher. Gophers, not moles, eat roots and kill plants. Moles eat insects and not roots. Moles would be good to have in one's garden, if they didn't make unsightly messes. If you think moles are hard to kill, try gophers! I've had the best luck with traps. Here are two pictures of a young gopher that just ate up our potato patch, causing us to prematurely have to dig up the patch. Little b@st*#d! P1060722.jpg P1060721.jpg

P1060722.jpg

P1060721.jpg

I use the Giant Destroyer gas cartridge and a weed blower. Light the fuse drop it down the hole, shove the weed blower down the hole, seems to work rather well and quick. .:s0155:

When I was a kid in southern New Mexico, my father had moles in his prize winning lawn. I remember him trying traps, flooding, and automobile exhaust with only marginal success. Then he got on top of our swingset monkey bars with his 16 guage Browning Auto 5 and just sat there all afternoon on Sunday with the sights trained on the hole. Late in the evening you would hear the shot and find one dead mole left by the hole. Two or three Sundays of this was all it took. This was in town limits in the early 1960s, and the neighbors just looked, smiled, and shook their heads, as my father was a respected citizen in the town and they knew what he was up to. Try that today and you will be reading these posts from your jail cell.

But as a vineyard owner, I have found that zinc phosphide pellets are most effective for eradicating burrowing critters of all sorts. You put the pellets in the hole, add a little water, place a piece of paper over the hole or a wad of paper in the hole and cover with dirt. The water combines with zinc phosphide to make phosphine gas, which rapidly permeates the burrow and poisons the critters and does not leave any toxic residue. You can get this stuff at farm chemical supply houses. One brand I know goes by the name of Fumaphos.

However these days I don't need to even do that in the vineyard. Although we started out with quite a crop of burrowing rodents this year, the bird population quickly moved in and cut their numbers down drastically. We have 3 huge owls, a couple of hawks, and at least one eagle that call the trees around our place their home, or at least their restaurant. Nothing like going all natural, its cool and its cheap. Z

When I was a kid in southern New Mexico, my father had moles in his prize winning lawn. I remember him trying traps, flooding, and automobile exhaust with only marginal success. Then he got on top of our swingset monkey bars with his 16 guage Browning Auto 5 and just sat there all afternoon on Sunday with the sights trained on the hole. Late in the evening you would hear the shot and find one dead mole left by the hole. Two or three Sundays of this was all it took. This was in town limits in the early 1960s, and the neighbors just looked, smiled, and shook their heads, as my father was a respected citizen in the town and they knew what he was up to. Try that today and you will be reading these posts from your jail cell.

But as a vineyard owner, I have found that zinc phosphide pellets are most effective for eradicating burrowing critters of all sorts. You put the pellets in the hole, add a little water, place a piece of paper over the hole or a wad of paper in the hole and cover with dirt. The water combines with zinc phosphide to make phosphine gas, which rapidly permeates the burrow and poisons the critters and does not leave any toxic residue. You can get this stuff at farm chemical supply houses. One brand I know goes by the name of Fumaphos.

However these days I don't need to even do that in the vineyard. Although we started out with quite a crop of burrowing rodents this year, the bird population quickly moved in and cut their numbers down drastically. We have 3 huge owls, a couple of hawks, and at least one eagle that call the trees around our place their home, or at least their restaurant. Nothing like going all natural, its cool and its cheap. Z

So, it's been about a month since I got my Molecat. I had 4 "hits" in the first 4 days. Thought I had them all -- and probably did. Lawn was looking good for 3 weeks! Well, last week I got a couple new hills in my front yard. Time to evict the new tenants. Loaded and set the Molecat again and got a trip but the cartridge didn't fire. Thinking maybe it was a dud, I tried again. Same thing. The unit itself seemed to be working fine and was even leaving a mark on the back of the unfired shells. I sent Molecat (they're local) an email and explained my problem. I promptly received a replay with 2 possible solutions along with a direct phone# if I needed further guidance. Turns out I was doing something wrong and there was no issue with the Molecat at all.
Just wanted to pass this along. It's a great/effective product and the support was helpful, prompt and accurate. I've been recommending it to anyone who'll listen.:s0155::s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top