JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Missus shook her head when I told her I joined the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (armedcitizensnetwork.org).

"Why would you do that? Are you planning on shooting someone?" She said it jokingly… sort of.

I confess I got a little irritated with her. I told her I was trying to be a responsible gun owner and concealed carrier. I said it's not enough to prepare for the unfortunate possibility of having to use my gun to protect our lives; I also need to be ready for what may come after. I've heard many horror stories of savings wiped out and lives ruined financially when innocent people were forced to defend themselves in the courtroom against aggressive and ambitious prosecutors (but I repeat myself).

"Yeah, but by joining that group, you've given the prosecutor a reason to question your motives; it's as if you were planning or hoping to shoot someone."

I gave her a couple seconds of icy silence.

"Well, then," I said, "we should just cancel our auto insurance. I mean, having insurance just looks like we are planning on getting in accidents. And our health insurance, too. Are you planning on getting seriously ill or hurt? Then cancel it. And we're not planning on burning our house down, so let's just get rid of our home insurance. And why are we saving money in a bank? What are we afraid of? We should pull it all out and stick it under our mattress."

She didn't say anything.

"Look," I said. "The world and society is getting crazier every day. Maybe I'm just getting old and paranoid. I know the chances are extremely small that I'll have to use my gun and then need legal help. Yet the chances are not zero. So I'm not going to carry, and possibly put myself in legal jeopardy without some kind of back-up.

"And I didn't buy my gun and get my concealed carry card in order to kill someone. I got it to keep me alive.

"By the way, I signed you up as a member as well."

That's how the conversation went.

And now I'm getting used to sleeping on the couch.

Aside from that, you need to get more training. .... with a good outfit that will go to court with you.

Train with more that one, with that said . If you make a bad shoot happen there is no outfit or insurance that will help the out come.

Oh and take a retention class also.

Best descision a ccw person could make. You wont regret the legal training material and the monthly newsletter is valuable.

And they dont spam... Ever.

Well, it beats going bankrupt or trying to find an attorney after the fact. Sleeping on the couch hopefully is a temporary deal. I think your intentions are right on track.

Sigmadog, what made you choose this outfit over USCCA, CCW Safe, etc? I'm thinking of doing something like this as well and would be interested in what you think. Thank you.

I joined ACLDN recently as well. I've been taking classes through The Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS) and both companies are run by the same people. Being a network member also gives you 10% off of most classes at FAS.

Marty Hayes was on the Practically Tactical Podcast talking about this a few months ago. Kind of a long video (1:33:41) but a lot of good info.

Aside from that, you need to get more training. .... with a good outfit that will go to court with you.

Train with more that one, with that said . If you make a bad shoot happen there is no outfit or insurance that will help the out come.

Oh and take a retention class also.
^All of this. I'm expanding my training resume a lot this year, should hopefully learn a lot.

Sigmadog, what made you choose this outfit over USCCA, CCW Safe, etc? I'm thinking of doing something like this as well and would be interested in what you think. Thank you.

These are some of the things that impressed me (you'll need to verify these items for yourself, but I think they are accurate from my recollection):
  • The Price: $90/year (first year is $135) + $60 for each additional member in same household
  • Northwest-based: Started by a cop/lawyer and based here in PNW. That said, they can help any member anywhere in the U.S.
  • Vetted Attorney List: They have experienced attorneys available in all fifty states, who will either work with the attorney of your choice or handle the case themselves
  • Fast-response: in the event of an incident, they will immediately release funds to retain an attorney of your choice.
  • Financial resources: If, in looking at the incident reports and available evidence, they decide the shooting was justified, they have access to a large sum of money (I believe the number is currently around $450,000) to help in your defense.
  • Expert Self-Defense witnesses: the likes of Massad Ayoob and others are affiliated with the organization and can be available to provide testimony at trial if needed.
  • Training resources: I haven't received it yet (it's in the mail to me now) but they provide several DVD's on legal aspects of self defense and lots of other items including monthly newsletters and such.
  • Training affiliates: I don't know if they offer discount training with their affiliates, but there is a long list of training centers they recommend.
That's all I can recall at the moment, but it seemed very comprehensive. The caveat is that they will need to decide that I am likely innocent and/or there is a good chance I can be proven innocent. So, yeah, in the end I have the duty to use my weapon responsibly.

The Missus shook her head when I told her I joined the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (armedcitizensnetwork.org).

"Why would you do that? Are you planning on shooting someone?" She said it jokingly… sort of.

I confess I got a little irritated with her. I told her I was trying to be a responsible gun owner and concealed carrier. I said it's not enough to prepare for the unfortunate possibility of having to use my gun to protect our lives; I also need to be ready for what may come after. I've heard many horror stories of savings wiped out and lives ruined financially when innocent people were forced to defend themselves in the courtroom against aggressive and ambitious prosecutors (but I repeat myself).

"Yeah, but by joining that group, you've given the prosecutor a reason to question your motives; it's as if you were planning or hoping to shoot someone."

I gave her a couple seconds of icy silence.

"Well, then," I said, "we should just cancel our auto insurance. I mean, having insurance just looks like we are planning on getting in accidents. And our health insurance, too. Are you planning on getting seriously ill or hurt? Then cancel it. And we're not planning on burning our house down, so let's just get rid of our home insurance. And why are we saving money in a bank? What are we afraid of? We should pull it all out and stick it under our mattress."

She didn't say anything.

"Look," I said. "The world and society is getting crazier every day. Maybe I'm just getting old and paranoid. I know the chances are extremely small that I'll have to use my gun and then need legal help. Yet the chances are not zero. So I'm not going to carry, and possibly put myself in legal jeopardy without some kind of back-up.

"And I didn't buy my gun and get my concealed carry card in order to kill someone. I got it to keep me alive.

"By the way, I signed you up as a member as well."

That's how the conversation went.

And now I'm getting used to sleeping on the couch.
Same thing I heard when I joined USCCA there are plenty of stories and facts out there about guy's going bankrupt defending them self's for a legal shooting I KNOW I HAVE heard bad stuff too bout USCCA but there are lots of these things out there this is one of the biggest so it is what it is

And I will add this I always like the post you start SIGMADOG you always have well thought out post a good threads thanks for that someone has to keep us under control HEHEH

Good on you! Your wife will come around and see the light. Mine has and is really glad that I am looking out for our best interest on all levels.
Well according to my USCCA coverage is for any one in my house defending my house but I pay for the big one over million dollars

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top