JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Top is the Savage 99 my wife's grandfather gave us. In center is my Winchester 94. And finally the airgun is my daughter's Red Ryder. :)

Nice rifles. We have two Red Ryders. One got the butt chopped for the little kids, one left alone for the big kids. BB guns are lots of fun and the best way to teach kids firearm safety, especially when they aren't yet strong enough to cock it.

My 2 All time favorites
Marlin 336, 30-30
Winchester model 94 30-30

Marlin336.jpg Win2.jpg

Most of my deer hunting requires shooting from about 50 to 400 yards. The terrain is generally steep, so weight is a factor. I find bolt actions and single shots chambered in more potent cartridges to be the most versatile under these conditions. I prefer the lines of American styling and don't generally find European design to be appealing. Don't get me wrong, I like a good Mauser action. I just prefer it to be barreled and stocked in a traditional American style. I like em blued or stainless.

7A26ABEF-19F1-415B-9314-33DAF897E6D9.jpeg
8F608FE0-E2DD-45CB-93D5-3657BAEE7AAF.jpeg

Once I refurbish and restore my Ruger M77 "boat paddle" .30-06 and sell it, all of my hunting rifles will be Winchester Model 70's.

The first deer rifle I ever owned, and managed to take several deer, a cow elk, and a pronghorn antelope with, all before the age of 18, was my Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts.

It has set the standard for what I consider a proper deer rifle.

IMG_20200920_192933579.jpg

Once I refurbish and restore my Ruger M77 "boat paddle" .30-06 and sell it, all of my hunting rifles will be Winchester Model 70's.

The first deer rifle I ever owned, and managed to take several deer, a cow elk, and a pronghorn antelope with, all before the age of 18, was my Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts.

View attachment 762828

I usually complain about the box length of the long action M70 when it comes to standard magnum cartridges, especially the 300 Win Mag, but with 57mm cases like the 257 Roberts and 7x57 Mauser, its just about perfect.

I was all set to order a Ruger Predator in .308 with the 18" barrel for my ultimate deer/elk rifle. Handy for the brush, lightweight, plenty accurate, and in a versatile caliber.

Then I put a pre-`64 Model 70 action with a 22" XTR Featherweight barrel chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved in a composite stock and realized I already had a light, handy, and accurate rifle with a butter smooth action and perfect trigger.

Still waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can test some loads, but it feels great in my hands.

IMG_20201007_174543624.jpg

I was all set to order a Ruger Predator in .308 with the 18" barrel for my ultimate deer/elk rifle. Handy for the brush, lightweight, plenty accurate, and in a versatile caliber.

Then I put a pre-`64 Model 70 action with a 22" XTR Featherweight barrel chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved in a composite stock and realized I already had a light, handy, and accurate rifle with a butter smooth action and perfect trigger.

Still waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can test some loads, but it feels great in my hands.

View attachment 762832

Is that a Bansner/High-Tech stock?

Wow, that first post takes me back - more than 60 years, I was a little guy at the time. Dad had a Model 99 in .300 Savage. Filing the tips of the horns off the rear sight just barely allowed him to mount a K2.5 Weaver and keep the sights. Sometimes that old Weaver would fog, so he'd pull out a quarter, loosen the Weaver mounts, stick the scope in his coat pocket and keep hunting with the iron sights.

Many years later, I had a Savage 99 in .308, lower end model but a good gun. It's just hard to get a good trigger on a Model 99.

I know a decent bolt action 30-06 has been good for anything in North America for a century or so. But there's a romance to the Winchester Model 94. The original Model 1894 is better looking and handling than the later Angle Eject.

After decades of enjoying hunting with my modern bolt action rifles, I went to hunting with old single shot rifles over a decade ago. Now my favorite hunting rifles are all pre 1900 singles. I went from 350-400 yd. shots, to 150 yd. shots; but I enjoy hunting more now than I ever did before.
These are a couple of my favorite hunting rifles.

Q50MuUCm.jpg

EGvltyPm.jpg

View attachment 762828
Would you consider selling the Ruger as is?

Would you consider selling the Ruger as is?
It's currently taped and camouflaged and won't take me much work to restore it to factory finish. It's worth quite a bit more in it's original bright stainless and flat black configuration. Will list it on Gunbroker when it's properly restored to see what I can get.

It's currently taped and camouflaged and won't take me much work to restore it to factory finish. It's worth quite a bit more in it's original bright stainless and flat black configuration. Will list it on Gunbroker when it's properly restored to see what I can get.
Sure, no problem. I have one in 243 that I love.

Classic Deer rifle for me is a Husquvarna Model 46 chambered in the required 6.5X55 Swede! Second place is a Remington model 7 chambered in .243 Winchester! Last would be my classic pre war Mauser M-98 Sporter chambered in .270 Winchester!

Classic Deer rifle for me is a Husquvarna Model 46 chambered in the required 6.5X55 Swede! Second place is a Remington model 7 chambered in .243 Winchester! Last would be my classic pre war Mauser M-98 Sporter chambered in .270 Winchester!
I don't get "Model 7" (learn me) ....why not Model 700 ?
Everything else I'm on board with.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads