The B
    NW Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Those two guys are bubbleguming idiots.

2. Mykael

Mykael
    Portland

So here's a new story for 2016

My Fiance is turning 21 on the 24th of September. We've been planning for months on what pistol she should get. We decided on the Glock 19 because it's a reliable proven modern lightweight pistol that she should be able to operate with no problem.

Being the closest store we decided to go in and browse their "selection."
    It took about 10 minutes before the guy at the counter even looked at us, and when she asked him for his recommendation of a carry pistol he whipped out a heavy steel .357 revolver.

He claimed that it was the best choice because revolvers never fail and a .357 will obliterate 'em.
    (upon further research a snub nose .357's power over a snub nose 9mm is ballisticly negligible.)

After browsing the massive collection of old rusted relics crafted by God himself I become increasingly disgusted by the price.

I decided to ask him if he had any Mosin Nagants in stock. He then began to give me a tirade about how Russian guns all blow up in your face, which is why he doesn't carry any. I found this strange as I found 4 rusted Chinese SKS near the counter.

We asked him if he had any Glocks around that we could handle to get the feel of - his face got red and he rushed over to a binder and began to flip through the pages reciting his heavily practice monologue on the lethal inferiority of polymer guns.

At the end of our visit we learned a few things from him:

1: AMERICAN STEEL IS BESTEST STEEL
    2: AMERICAN COLT 1911 IS BEST 1911. NEVER BREAK
    3: 1911 IS BEST BECAUSE WE WON TWO WARS WITH THEM (Because Officers won wars, amirite?)
    4: REVOLVER IS BETTER THAN SEMI AUTOMATIC BECAUSE REVOLVER NEVER FAIL
    5: BALLISTIC TESTS AND SALES RECORDS OF ALL NON AMERICAN STEEL GUNS ARE "PROPAGANDA"
    6: SCIENCE IS PROPAGANDA
    7: YOU MUST READ THE NEW TESTAMENT - THAT IS BEST SOURCE FOR GUN INFO.
    8: COLT 1911
    9: COLT 1911!!!!!!!
    10: M1 GARAND IS BEST RIFLE - A GENERAL SAID SO
    11: RUST IS MAKE GUN STRONK - STRONK GUN MUST COST $10,000

Dear Lord I hope this shop runs into the ground, and a better store take its place.
    Sorry for the format, I'm typing this at 3:21AM

MikeE, 3MTA3, ThemGunsThough and 8 others like this.
  3. Velzey

Velzey
    Estacada Gun Smith
    Büchsenmacher Bronze Vendor

I agree with him on this ;)

This reminds me, I need to take my wife in to visit Warren! I have not set foot in that store in 15 years.

ob1, Nibbs and STUKA like this.
  4. Nibbs

Nibbs
    Milwaukie, Or

Hi Velzey...:)

Did War-on also tell you that Remington also uses a 'Special Grade' steel
    for the barrels on all the rifles he gets from them?

I agree on the M1 Garand. :s0116:

War-on likes his so much he charges 3X their real value
    rather than 2X like most of the rest of his stuff.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. Lars

Lars
    Clackamas

He's been saying that for 20 years that I know of.

Oregon Quartermaster likes this.
  6. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon

I walked in the other day and asked Warren about his Colt Diamondback prices and he immediately went into the same old spiel about how American steel is better then the plastic imported Krap.
    I never did find out what he was asking for his Colt Diamondback's.
    That big green parrot of his started screeching, so I just walked out.

Oregon Quartermaster likes this.
  7. Nibbs

Nibbs
    Milwaukie, Or

Me too.
    When Dick S was hanging around there he and Steve and I would be yakin and Warren would start in on some customer and we could play w/ it and he wouldn't even know it.

Go figure.

8. Mykael

Mykael
    Portland

So recently we got a Glock 19 - we love it.

Thanks for steering us in the right direction, Warren.

MikeE, ThemGunsThough and BradC like this.
  9. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough
    RIP City!

How did I miss this story? That is classic. Glad you went with a glock 19 for a 3rd of the price for one of his revolvers. My first time going in there I had a Glock hat. They didn't say a word to me neither hi or bye.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Jesus. Five bucks he's got a gimp in the basement.

ron and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Reading about these guys in this thread and in others, and from my own single experience in the store, how the heck do they stay in business? Who is paying these inflated prices for snarky/poor service?? I mean, really, who is buying guns there and keeping them in business? Folks who have their heads under a rock as to actual gun prices? Who don't know that there are other good options out there?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

The church he goes to on Mt Scott is plump full of Portland's elite who believe they should only support the businesses of fellow church members, and he's their only FFL.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  13. Benihaus

Benihaus
    Portland
    American

Someone said that he has a very successful military collectable business.

14. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun
    Portland, OR.

"Portland's elite" go to church? I somehow doubt that.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. mkwerx

mkwerx
    Forest Grove, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Church of Satan?
    Church of the Allmighty Dollar
    Church of Later Day Liars and Thieves (not inferring real LDS here, no flames)
    Church of Self Absorbed Posterior Clowns

Even jerks must have social circles, right?

I'll bet that Warren secrectly keeps a Glock 17 in his nightstand. Right next to the key to his gimp's cage :D

16. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel

[QUOTE="Velzey, post: 1513027, member
    This reminds me, I need to take my wife in to visit Warren! I have not set foot in that store in 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Now that would be more entertaining than anything I have seen on TV lately. Give me a call when she is on the way and we'll bring the popcorn...:s0093:

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Self-made elite. Not the ones that take campaign donations to pad their pockets. I've rubbed elbows with that crowd before.

Ura-Ki and HuckleberryFun like this.
  18. Nibbs

Nibbs
    Milwaukie, Or

Rumor back in the day was that his wife had a lot of loot. ???

They have a term they use, Rhino or Hippo or ??? .....

What that means inside the door is some rich person who is ignorant abt firearms and who will buy his BS and
    His you get what you pay for....
    So that person will spend 2X or 3x the going rate and
    drink the Flavor Aid, and then come back again for more...

Once that person realizes what has happened he will be too embarrassed to bubblegum abt it.

And Velzey, call me before you go in and we can tag team him.
    Steve will happily join in as well....:)

Ura-Ki and accessbob like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Not!!!! Nothing he ever had could ever be considered under those categories! He is nothing more then a Pimp for a bunch of stuck up snobby Azzhol's! And He lives in the west hills behind the big hospital off of Barns road! Church? Not likely!!! I went to school with his eldest son Sean, And I can tell you THAT apple didn't fall far from that tree! I have no idea who buys from them, but I can tell you his Number one Customer is George Morlan who owns THAT building! Before Mr WARN, Of WARN industries was killed in that awful accident, Most of the GunRoom's income came from those two families, and a very few others! I did get a good deal ONE time there, but I could see through the B.S. even then, and took my business else where after that one time!!!

Certaindeaf and etrain16 like this.
  20. WAYNO

WAYNO
    Oregon City
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

There was a time in history, when there was an actual hierarchy of gun shops and customers. We went to gun shops, and actually sat and visited, and learned. A strange customer that entered a gun shop, and proceeded to tell the gun dealer that he knew more than the dealer, would never be very welcome in that shop, or by the other customers. Right or wrong, that's the way it was. I always hoped someday I would be one of the old timers that was accepted as an honored customer. And one day, it happened. And about that time, the old school gun dealers started retiring, or just started going out of business. Warren is a hold out from those older times.

If you're close to as old as me, you remember the premier sporting goods store in Portland. Foster Sporting Goods was about as close to heaven as any 12-year old kid could imagine.

There were 4 employees (or managers) there that I remember from the early sixties. Warren (Gun Room), Hobart Manns and Don Hobart (well respected fishing and hunting personalities from radio talk shows), and Larry Schoenborn (Larry's Sporting Goods). When Foster Sporting Goods closed, these four fellers set out on their own, and for a long time, remained successful. Warren is the only one left that is still in the business. And if you ever think Larry Schoenborn from Larry's Sporting Goods and Fishing the West was any less snobbish than Warren, you're mistaken.

The Gun Room and Warren are still holding on the the old school gun store mentality. Add the fact that Warren is not a people-person until you get close to him, then it's understandable that younger or less knowledgeable people will never belong in his store.

I used to shoot trap very extensively. Warren would take any customer under his wing and give one-on-one trap instruction and criticism. I met him many times at the trap club. He often supplied the shells. And he never charged me a dime, other than charging full price for the latest-greatest trap gun he sold me. And he taught me a lot.

So, Warren does not and will never cater to those out of his circle. And I'm not defending his business practices. But I am defending how he got to be this way.

I remember in the late-seventies or early-eighties. Warren became a Ruger dealer. You paid full retail for his Ruger 77's, and he guaranteed 1-MOA. He proclaimed the 77's to be the most accurate mass produced rifle money could buy. I was short of a rifle at one time and went there to buy another 77. Apparently he was no longer a dealer of Ruger products, and did an about-face. He wouldn't have a Ruger in his shop if his life depended on it. Don't know what happened for sure. But his allegiance to any product, or even any customer lasts only as long as he needs it to.

So, for those of you that hate him, be comforted that Warren will not live forever. And even though I've not been in his store for many years, I do remember fondly of where he came from.

WAYNO.

ElkHuntr, MikeE, ron and 3 others like this.