JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Notice the cases in WA are all in the greater Seattle area...Same thing with the other areas of the US. Major cities....not small towns with a population of 80....

Do you consider a town with population of 646 to be a major city? Because a confirmed case came from Weston Oregon just a few days ago. Pretty remote, though not far from I84 corridor in all fairness.

Do you consider a town with population of 646 to be a major city? Because a confirmed case came from Weston Oregon just a few days ago. Pretty remote, though not far from I84 corridor in all fairness.
I'm not trying to disagree with your post, I agree that a small town can be a better place to be.

They can also have very limited healthcare facilities

Notice the cases in WA are all in the greater Seattle area...Same thing with the other areas of the US. Major cities....not small towns with a population of 80....

It depends on where you work and socialize.

I live in a small neighborhood of 8 families up on a mountain between Newberg & Scholls. Not a town, just some people living on a private road out in the boonies.

But almost every family here has one or more breadwinners working in town (Newberg, Portland, Beaverton, etc.) so we all get exposed to large numbers of people.

I went into a clinic Thursday so exposed more there (clinic worker shook my hand!). Then went to pharmacy and there were a bunch of sick people lined up to get meds, so I turned around and walked out - came back last night and no line. Carpooled with SIL. Worked with a bunch of people yesterday, but passed on a meeting I didn't need to be in - used Skype and phone to see presentation and listen in. Went to grocery store - exposed to a bunch of people there. Going to a neighborhood meeting tomorrow.

If SHTF, yes, I could limit my exposure a lot more - but in town I could just stay inside the house too.

It just depends on other things than if you live in a small community. There is a LOT of interconnection if you are anywhere near a large population center. If you live hundreds of miles away, then that lowers the chance - especially if most people don't travel outside the community.

Theory of large numbers. The bigger the denominator the bigger the numerator. Add in population density and cities will always top towns. OTOH, Spanish flu in 1918 spread to even remote islands and whole villages of inuit were wiped out. Given enough time, a virulent disease will spread everywhere until it burns out. Human action can slow the spread, but it is inevitable. At least the current bug of the decade isn't known to be animal/human crossover.

Yep,

I got all my crap ready, just waiing for the schools to shut down then we are going to our cabin on my hunting property in E Oregon. If it can find us there well, then nothing more we can do.

What do you do for income? I assume your younger since you mentioned waiting on schools
50 but one still in HS, one in college. I travel for a living but staying home and working out of my house. All need is a phone and internet. Funny cause when I bought our proerty and cabin I always joked if crap hit the fan we'll hide out there. Not really a cabin as it has power, water and stuff, but also has ability to be self contained. Maybe i am kinda a prepper??

50 but one still in HS, one in college. I travel for a living but staying home and working out of my house. All need is a phone and internet. Funny cause when I bought our proerty and cabin I always joked if crap hit the fan we'll hide out there. Not really a cabin as it has power, water and stuff, but also has ability to be self contained. Maybe i am kinda a prepper??
Thanks for sharing. I'm always curious to hear what someone does for work when they can work from home no problem. I don't have that luxury, yet

The problem with any town, regardless of how remote, is they have roads. The roads that bring in fuel, food or your Amazon package can bring in the virus as well.

The problem with any town, regardless of how remote, is they have roads. The roads that bring in fuel, food or your Amazon package can bring in the virus as well.

Ketchikan, Alaska

25 miles of roads that go nowhere.

All supplies need to be boated or flown in.

I don't live in town. You can reach my house from a road, but without a map and directions, I doubt you could find it given the address - you probably couldn't find it even with a map.

I am more likely to get sick by going into town than a sick person coming to me at home.

Ketchikan, Alaska

25 miles of roads that go nowhere.

All supplies need to be boated or flown in.

I don't live in town. You can reach my house from a road, but without a map and directions, I doubt you could find it given the address - you probably couldn't find it even with a map.

I am more likely to get sick by going into town than a sick person coming to me at home.
You make my point.
In Ketchikan's case, the road is a waterway or airport.
If you can hole up in your house and avoid contact, you are safe for as long as you can hold out, but as soon as you need that battery/fuel/pop tart or whatever, you risk exposure. That road, waterway or airport is still the town's entry point for any virus because that fuel, food or gear is still originating at a depot which is usually in a big city, In Ketchikan's case that big city is no doubt Seattle. And that food etc. is delivered by a potential carrier
I'm sure there is some algorithm that measures likelihood of infection vs population numbers but a person hardcore quarantining in his house in downtown Seattle, should be as safe as the person holing up in his house in Tinytown USA. Of course, the odds for infection go up tremendously when Seattle person steps outside vs the rural fellow, but in either person can get infected by running into someone with the bug, be it the Seattle guy's neighbor or the rural guy's grocer

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews