JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still use Gunslick for the most part (Old School) but a lot of folks use and highly recommend Mobil 1. Seems to work just fine and a quart goes a very long way. Any thoughts on this? Thanx - Randy

I still use Gunslick for the most part (Old School) but a lot of folks use and highly recommend Mobil 1. Seems to work just fine and a quart goes a very long way. Any thoughts on this? Thanx - Randy

I use Royal Purple myself. I used to buy a lot of that Miltec-1 stuff and other lubricants when in reality all you need is a really good synthetic motor oil. Compare the price by the quart and there is no comparison. I use Royal Purple on all my guns...I wipe a little bit on a cotton swab then wipe it off with a dry one- the residiual amount left over is more than enough to lubricate the firearms.

16202.jpg

What? U can use motor oil? Wow i didnt know that......that's cool. Ok so i youtube a lot at work and i ran into BALLISTOL. I hear that ballistol is the shiznippidy snip snip snap. I hear that it leaves a teflon like coating on the firearm. Ballistol is a cleaner....lubricant..... etc. And i guess it is big in europe or at least germany. I am gonna get some and see how it is. Also if u shoot corrosive ammo u can use one part ballistol and ten parts hot water...... or windex. MAKE SURE WHEN USING WATER U DRY THE GUN GOOD......RUST LOL

Motor oil works great. You can even pick how thick or thin it is. I use moly axle grease quite a bit as well. Automotive lubricants come in containers that are large for working on guns. Try putting them in smaller container that are more handy to use on firearms.

I use Royal Purple, mainly because I bought several quarts of the racing type without detergents and then decided not to use it in my cobra. I have a lifetime supply!

If you use Royal Purple you might as well use a mineral oil. That's all RP is anyway.

because you are a supergenius? :s0114:

Lol. No, But ive had some VERY extensive issue with so called good motor oils in a race motor ovf mine and valvetrain consuming itself that led me to do ALOT of research on synthetic oils, their additives and the efects of the EPA governing eithe the levels of stuff in them (such as the aforementioned ZDP) due to strict environmental standards... Theres alot of misinformation that circulates about whats good, and whats not.

I have a big *** thing I wrote on it and ill dig it up and post it if anyones interested. Later.

Not to get into a d**k measuring contest with you, not my intent at all.

When it came to synthetics and my personal experience with engine wear (yes I'm straying from topic) my current RP is consumed by my car. 80K turbo charged. Why? As RP is aged it becomes very thin and allows it's self to be consumed by the turbo seals. Mobil1 which I used previously had the same issue. RotellaT will be the next choice as it retains it's viscosity over a longer period of time.

I understand that Royal Purple has great lubricating properties. I just won't be putting it into my engine ever again. I can see how it will work VERY WELL with gun lubrication. I did notice in the car a smoother idle. So for that I give it credit. But longevity is another story.

Not to get into a d**k measuring contest with you, not my intent at all.

When it came to synthetics and my personal experience with engine wear (yes I'm straying from topic) my current RP is consumed by my car. 80K turbo charged. Why? As RP is aged it becomes very thin and allows it's self to be consumed by the turbo seals. Mobil1 which I used previously had the same issue. RotellaT will be the next choice as it retains it's viscosity over a longer period of time.

I understand that Royal Purple has great lubricating properties. I just won't be putting it into my engine ever again. I can see how it will work VERY WELL with gun lubrication. I did notice in the car a smoother idle. So for that I give it credit. But longevity is another story.

RP SMOKES (no pun intended) Mobile 1 as a lubricant. PERIOD. Ill post info later... If your engine is consuming oil thats a by-product of wear (as you mentioned). My (very expensive) valvetrain was consumed by mobile 1s inadequate synthetic additive packages. Before reading and educating myself on the subject, I had no idea of what was going on. Viscosity isnt the issue with the oil sir. RP breaks down fast??? No. Not in the slightest, but then again... I change it out at 1500 miles as its cheap insurance and I beat the crap ourt of this motor. but I assure you the viscosity isnt an issue, nor a measure of an oils lubricating qualities... But you knew that right?

If your turbo "Seal" (no more than a piston ring) is allowing oil to be consumed (Id venturwe to say that its the rings and valve seals at least as responsible) thats due to wear as well... raising your idle 100 rpms can help the seal work better believe it or not. Ive been making 650 WHP for 20 K miles and beat the bubblegum out of this car with no further issues since the switch. Mobile 1 failed. Sure am glad I did a bunch of research as the alternative was a 2300 dollar roller cam setup I really didnt want.

Rotella is good oil... Mobile 1 is crap.

Depends on where it's being used and stored. In arid eastern OR I use a silicone based that doesn't hold grit/dust.
On the west (wet) side I prefer lubriplate for grease applications and Rem-oil for the lighter stuff.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top