Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The best weapon lubricant?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PinkhamR, Mar 25, 2010.

1. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

I still use Gunslick for the most part (Old School) but a lot of folks use and highly recommend Mobil 1. Seems to work just fine and a quart goes a very long way. Any thoughts on this? Thanx - Randy

2. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I use Royal Purple myself. I used to buy a lot of that Miltec-1 stuff and other lubricants when in reality all you need is a really good synthetic motor oil. Compare the price by the quart and there is no comparison. I use Royal Purple on all my guns...I wipe a little bit on a cotton swab then wipe it off with a dry one- the residiual amount left over is more than enough to lubricate the firearms.

16202.jpg

3. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

What? U can use motor oil? Wow i didnt know that......that's cool. Ok so i youtube a lot at work and i ran into BALLISTOL. I hear that ballistol is the shiznippidy snip snip snap. I hear that it leaves a teflon like coating on the firearm. Ballistol is a cleaner....lubricant..... etc. And i guess it is big in europe or at least germany. I am gonna get some and see how it is. Also if u shoot corrosive ammo u can use one part ballistol and ten parts hot water...... or windex. MAKE SURE WHEN USING WATER U DRY THE GUN GOOD......RUST LOL

4. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Motor oil works great. You can even pick how thick or thin it is. I use moly axle grease quite a bit as well. Automotive lubricants come in containers that are large for working on guns. Try putting them in smaller container that are more handy to use on firearms.

5. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WeaponsShield. One product does all.

6. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Permatex Anti-Seize; It's silver colored and stays put in a very thin film.

7. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

Slide Glide is my favorite. It stays where you put it. Doesn't burn or drip off. And reduces felt recoil.

8. nixuser

nixuser nw Member

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I use Royal Purple, mainly because I bought several quarts of the racing type without detergents and then decided not to use it in my cobra. I have a lifetime supply!

10. Tilos

Tilos Idaho Active Member

:dinner: :paper:

Tilos

11. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

clp

12. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Gunzilla

13. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

If you use Royal Purple you might as well use a mineral oil. That's all RP is anyway.

14. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

No sir. That is incorrect.

bobistheoilguy,.com is your friend... Zincdithiopghosphate is your friend though, and RP has an abundance of that.... FAR superior to Mobile 1. Ask me how I know.

15. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

because you are a supergenius? :laugh:

16. supergenius

Lol. No, But ive had some VERY extensive issue with so called good motor oils in a race motor ovf mine and valvetrain consuming itself that led me to do ALOT of research on synthetic oils, their additives and the efects of the EPA governing eithe the levels of stuff in them (such as the aforementioned ZDP) due to strict environmental standards... Theres alot of misinformation that circulates about whats good, and whats not.

I have a big *** thing I wrote on it and ill dig it up and post it if anyones interested. Later.

17. Dyjital

Not to get into a d**k measuring contest with you, not my intent at all.

When it came to synthetics and my personal experience with engine wear (yes I'm straying from topic) my current RP is consumed by my car. 80K turbo charged. Why? As RP is aged it becomes very thin and allows it's self to be consumed by the turbo seals. Mobil1 which I used previously had the same issue. RotellaT will be the next choice as it retains it's viscosity over a longer period of time.

I understand that Royal Purple has great lubricating properties. I just won't be putting it into my engine ever again. I can see how it will work VERY WELL with gun lubrication. I did notice in the car a smoother idle. So for that I give it credit. But longevity is another story.

18. supergenius

RP SMOKES (no pun intended) Mobile 1 as a lubricant. PERIOD. Ill post info later... If your engine is consuming oil thats a by-product of wear (as you mentioned). My (very expensive) valvetrain was consumed by mobile 1s inadequate synthetic additive packages. Before reading and educating myself on the subject, I had no idea of what was going on. Viscosity isnt the issue with the oil sir. RP breaks down fast??? No. Not in the slightest, but then again... I change it out at 1500 miles as its cheap insurance and I beat the crap ourt of this motor. but I assure you the viscosity isnt an issue, nor a measure of an oils lubricating qualities... But you knew that right?

If your turbo "Seal" (no more than a piston ring) is allowing oil to be consumed (Id venturwe to say that its the rings and valve seals at least as responsible) thats due to wear as well... raising your idle 100 rpms can help the seal work better believe it or not. Ive been making 650 WHP for 20 K miles and beat the bubblegum out of this car with no further issues since the switch. Mobile 1 failed. Sure am glad I did a bunch of research as the alternative was a 2300 dollar roller cam setup I really didnt want.

Rotella is good oil... Mobile 1 is crap.

19. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Depends on where it's being used and stored. In arid eastern OR I use a silicone based that doesn't hold grit/dust.
    On the west (wet) side I prefer lubriplate for grease applications and Rem-oil for the lighter stuff.

20. Dyjital

:thumbup: