JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Again I was referring to the rifle as a whole , 5.56 cartridge and all , which is more than than likely , the most common configuration it is seen in...SIGH

Since I am not making myself clear enough here for many...enjoy the thread...and count this as my last word here.
Edit to add :
Please note that no where here in this thread or any for that matter , I have I said that AR15 rifles have no place...
But I have said that "practical " means many things to many different people.
Andy
I understand your perspective, as most people do think of 5.56 when they think of ARs. Most people imagine either an M16 or an M4 Carbine, depending on their generation.

I personally feel that this is an unfairly limited view, and fails to show the true capabilities and potential of the AR platform as a whole.

I mean no disrespect, but you are judging an entire family of firearms based on only one example in one caliber. That would be unfair to do for any type of firearm, just as it would be to unfair to consider all trucks to be the same as a 1990 Toyota Tacoma and criticize the lack of hauling or towing capacity.

Just as there are many different types and sizes of truck available today, there are also many different types and calibers of the AR. ARs have evolved immensely over the last 3 decades, and are no longer the M16s or Colts of the Vietnam era.

Last Edited:
Practicality of certain type of firearm, caliber, etc.?

I promised to not mention Bella Twin's world record bear, so I won't.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, if beat-up single shot .22 bolt action rifle can be "practical", then why modern AR15 can't?

The SBRed/Suppressed AR I mentioned above:

409987-8b5c34fd6ed5ce21fbe3eb59fdb2130f.jpg

Two of my favorite things together; firepower and flowers. (And, yes, I realize my penchant for growing roses and going on wildflower hikes is decidedly not in keeping with "machismo", but I'm at a point in life that I am comfortable in my masculinity, and more accurately, I just don't give a damn. :p)

View attachment 582188

Two of my favorite things together; firepower and flowers. (And, yes, I realize my penchant for growing roses and going on wildflower hikes is decidedly not in keeping with "machismo", but I'm at a point in life that I am comfortable in my masculinity, and more accurately, I just don't give a damn. :p)

That's what I'm talking about! :cool:

The AR15 , in 5.56* , isn't very practical as a bear rifle...not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice.
So what is your point...? Some may ask...

"Practical" depends on usage and personal perspective...is my point.
Many folks would consider the firearms of my choice as not very practical...but then I couldn't shoot a AR15 at rendezvous...so again usage...the AR15 is not practical for me at that time and place.

That said my AR15 Carbine is lightweight and accurate , easy and cheap to shoot ...those qualities are very practical...if I want a fun "modern" rifle to shoot , go varmint hunting with , have plenty of options to customize , even use as a defensive rifle ...its very practical indeed.

Luckily we are not restricted in likes or dislikes in firearms...there is no rule that says you must only own "practical"
( whatever that means... ) firearms.
Own what you want , shoot safely , don't look down at other peoples firearm choices....should be simple.
Andy
*Edit to add a very common caliber that the AR15 is chambered in ....Just to keep folks from sayin' "Yeah but it can be chambered in_____ . "
Oh wait , that won't stop 'em either...sigh
Preach it brother. The legal mind builds on precedent, case law, bugaboo, the social mind follows its nose. "BUMPSTOCKS"..Couldn't care less if you lit a fire under my azz about that jiggle behind the action". That's me. There's more to it and most of the folks here know it. "Precept upon precept line upon line, here a little there a little". At some point rational minds can see the end result of this game. Progress requires forward motion. Where that takes us requires some tending. Gotta' jet;)..thnx.

View attachment 582188

That's a nice KISS rifle!

:s0155:

I'm more into free float rails and optics, but there's something special about a bare bones AR.

Practicality of certain type of firearm, caliber, etc.?

I promised to not mention Bella Twin's world record bear, so I won't.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, if beat-up single shot .22 bolt action rifle can be "practical", then why modern AR15 can't?
Because 1300 fpe per trigger press is justa pipe dream, man!

hide

Preach it brother. The legal mind builds on precedent, case law, bugaboo, the social mind follows its nose. "BUMPSTOCKS"..Couldn't care less if you lit a fire under my azz about that jiggle behind the action". That's me. There's more to it and most of the folks here know it. "Precept upon precept line upon line, here a little there a little". At some point rational minds can see the end result of this game. Progress requires forward motion. Where that takes us requires some tending. Gotta' jet;)..thnx.

I don't understand this post at all, but for some reason I want to listen to 'Purple Haze' now.

I don't understand this post at all, but for some reason I want to listen to 'Purple Haze' now.
Jimi?..That sir is a good start. Legal minds differ from my mind in the same way a paramedic views a vehicle vs pedi scene vs what a civilian sees, is the best i can do (Ambulance jockey in san francisco to long ago for color tv. thnx..). What that provokes ain't my circus, not my monkeys. Respectfully..

Along with the video from CNN I posted that shows how ARs are ideal for controlling crop-destroying wild pigs, here's an article from Time magazine listing 7 animals that are hunted with AR-15s Here Are 7 Animals Hunters Kill Using an AR-15

Even the left-wing mainstream media like CNN and Time magazine understand the practical, legal uses of AR-15s.

More articles:

8731397F-5191-4137-ABAB-EAE25D783097.jpg
Why Hunters Are Trading Traditional Hunting Rifles For the AR-15 :: Guns.com

ar15.jpg
Using an AR-15 for Hunting - LiveOutdoors

hoghuntingar-15_inset1.jpg
Tactical to Practical: Hog Hunting With an AR-15

NAWar_043012-300x200.jpg
The AR for Deer Hunting? - North American Whitetail

That's a nice KISS rifle!

:s0155:

I'm more into free float rails and optics, but there's something special about a bare bones AR.

Muchas gracias, amigo. It just works. With the can in place, it is a "pffft, crack, clickety-clack" sound. Funny memory when me and the wife were shooting this one last year: she say "why does this one smell like candy". I explained to her it was the particular grease I put in the BCG and can. Delightful summer days. :s0112:

@CountryGent Ever look at the JP Enterprises SCS buffer system? Might help trim the noise from the action cycling, get your sound signature down a little more.

Me, I just use twangbusters, but I'm not running any cans--if I were inclined to go there I'd want an integrally suppressed barrel, not like these "weld can on end and call it IS" we have but more like the bastard child of an AR and an MP5SD, a full jacket all the way along the barrel with ports inside tapping the gas. Make it 16-1/4", with 1/4" of bare muzzle sticking out past the end of the jacket to allow for recrowning, then put a layer of themal insulation around it and a full 16" handguard, something like a Super-Size version of a Geissele MK16.
Geissele Mk16 rail, DDC - open box

Even the left-wing mainstream media like CNN and Time magazine understand the practical, legal uses of AR-15s.
And based on the SCOTUS ruling in Caetano v. Massachusetts, the prevalence of ARs in use today only strengthens our position. I look forward to the next Supreme Court ruling that uses Heller & Caetano as precedent.

It's kind of hard to argue that ARs are uncommon now, isn't it? :D

Tom had a gun talk episode on this a while back.

I don't hunt, and I'm a gun owner, I know crazy right. Anyway the episode was interesting to me.

Lots of hunters out there even in Oregon called in and said they preferred the AR15 for varmint hunting. One guy was older and said he just needed something light weight cause he's not as young as he used to be.

They are used for hunting, quite popular for hog hunting from what I've seen on YouTube videos. My guess would be in just about every configuration but.

I don't hunt, I do kill animals with guns though, on my farm, but I use a 22lr mostly.

Maybe I'll go hunting one day, seems fun, and I already know how to process an animal or two.

OP can disregard the guys calling your buddy a fudd for not wanting an AR15 and calling them impractical. What's not practical are 50 year old fat guys who can't climb a flight of stairs thinking they'll take on the goverment or foreign invaders. To each their own. If he doesn't want one, so be it. I've built hundreds of AR15's , have nothing against them, but definitely don't find them nearly as practical as a bolt action rifle or a pump action shotgun....quote and flame away boys

I don't hunt, and I'm a gun owner, I know crazy right.

I haven't hunted in decades and most likely never will again. I have good friends who are serious hunters but I'm just not into it.

I don't know how many times I've had people look at me like I was nuts, when they find out I have guns but don't hunt. It seems that to many hunters that's like owning golf clubs but never golfing.

Jimi... the most bestest electric guitar player ever has been and probably ever will be... Stevie Ray gets a close second!

What's not practical are 50 year old fat guys who can't climb a flight of stairs thinking they'll take on the goverment or foreign invaders... quote and flame away boys

Talked me into it... I'm a 67yr old fat guy that can't climb a flight of stairs, but I have rifles, including a heavy barrel AR15 that will shoot the eye out of a govt soldier from a long way out. I can sit in my godamned house, (Edit: or behind a rock), and fight until they kill me. (Edit: And I don't care because I've already lived my life.) Don't try to tell me that ain't nothin.

I suggest you go back and watch The Postman... because "Old guys know stuff"! :p

I haven't hunted in decades and most likely never will again. I have good friends who are serious hunters but I'm just not into it.

I don't know how many times I've had people look at me like I was nuts, when they find out I have guns but don't hunt. It seems that to many hunters that's like owning golf clubs but never golfing.

I'm not physically able to walk the woods and if I had a tag in camp, I'd worry about tracking after the shot. I've lost my passion for harvesting my food, can't really get out on the golf course anymore, but I still have my clubs and can go hit a ball or two from time to time. Same thing with my rifles... I still like to shoot! :)

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews