JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I've got a stepson, lifetime member of the NRA, has two LARGE gun safes full of all sorts of hunting rifles and pistols, who after the last mass school shooting posted that on facebook"no one needs an assault rifle and they should be banned and confiscated!" I don't get it. He takes my grandsons hunting every year. Even the two young ones that can't carry a rifle. I guess it just depends on whose ox is being gored!

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding my original post. Our discussion of guns on that day wasn't a deep, philosophical one; it was more just a casual comparison of what was practical to us personally.

It doesn't require a deep philosophical discussion, hunting and the 2nd amendment aren't related except that a lot of people hunt with firearms. That's about as far as it goes.

My AR pistol, to me, is more of a "range toy". I can certainly see the practicality of them to some people, but for my personal use, it's just fun to shoot and that's about it. His question about "What good are they?" was simply from a lack of understanding. He saw them all as just fun "range toys" because all he knows are hunting rifles. He had nothing against them at all, he just didn't understand.

You may define your ar-pistol as a "range toy", and without knowing more about it, maybe it is. As mentioned the Mk18 killed plenty of bad guys and is essentially an "ar-pistol" so it's certainly not a range toy.

Another question I have, maybe someone can help me with: what is a "Fudd"? I know what my definition of a Fudd is, but we must have different definitions. To me, a Fudd is a gun owner, typically a hunter but not always, who is proud of his old-school deer rifles and duck guns, but look down their noses at anyone they don't consider a "true sportsman" like themselves. They're typically glad to support banning nasty old "assault guns". To me, Fudd is a term of derision reserved for "sportsmen" who favor gun control.

By that definition, my friends are absolutely, positively not "Fudds", and I have to admit to being a little offended by those that throw the label around so loosely. Some of them may be a lot more "country/redneck" than I ever was, and live a different lifestyle than I do, but they are solidly pro-2A all the way, do not support gun control, and absolutely, positively would never vote for the extremist wackos currently in power in Salem. If you want to call them Fudds just because they have a different perspective and level of understanding, I think you don't know what a true Fudd is.

A Fudd as in "Elmer Fudd" is a made up term. It can mean different things to different people. A Fudd may just be like your friend, someone who doesn't understand the purpose of a combat rifle (hint: it's in the name), these people tend to own "hunting oriented" firearms.

How they vote is an entirely other matter.

It doesn't require a deep philosophical discussion, hunting and the 2nd amendment aren't related except that a lot of people hunt with firearms. That's about as far as it goes.

You may define your ar-pistol as a "range toy", and without knowing more about it, maybe it is. As mentioned the Mk18 killed plenty of bad guys and is essentially an "ar-pistol" so it's certainly not a range toy.

A Fudd as in "Elmer Fudd" is a made up term. It can mean different things to different people. A Fudd may just be like your friend, someone who doesn't understand the purpose of a combat rifle (hint: it's in the name), these people tend to own "hunting oriented" firearms.

How they vote is an entirely other matter.

Clearly it means different things to different people. My understanding was that the term originated around the time that Zumbo said his piece and got (deservedly) called out for it.

I just looked around a bit online and see that to many people, the word is simply a derogatory term for a hunter, which makes it all the more troubling. What's the point in offending those who are pretty solidly on our side, just because their primary interest is hunting?

Personally I think we are better served by building bridges with others who are inclined to be on our side, rather than being derogatory towards them.

Clearly it means different things to different people. My understanding was that the term originated around the time that Zumbo said his piece and got (deservedly) called out for it.

I just looked around a bit online and see that to many people, the word is simply a derogatory term for a hunter, which makes it all the more troubling. What's the point in offending those who are pretty solidly on our side, just because their primary interest is hunting?

Personally I think we are better served by building bridges with others who are inclined to be on our side, rather than being derogatory towards them.

As has been mentioned multiple times. Owning a gun doesn't make someone solidly "on our side". In fact most gun owners aren't very pro-2A. They have a pistol they inherited or some such that sits in a closet.

People are people, best judged individually by their actions.

You missed a golden opportunity to build that bridge with your friend regarding ARs, but you yourself regarded the one you brought as a "range toy" so maybe not the best architect...

Have you had any formal training with an AR? Just curious

As has been mentioned multiple times. Owning a gun doesn't make someone solidly "on our side". In fact most gun owners aren't very pro-2A. They have a pistol they inherited or some such that sits in a closet.

People are people, best judged individually by their actions.

You missed a golden opportunity to build that bridge with your friend regarding ARs, but you yourself regarded the one you brought as a "range toy" so maybe not the best architect...

I really don't understand why you continue to pick apart and challenge everything I post. I've tried to be conciliatory but I can see that you are just plain contrary by nature.

As I've said multiple times, MY friends, who I've known for decades, ARE on our side. MY AR pistol, to ME for my personal purposes, is a "range toy". I also believe that, that day, I did help build a bridge and foster some understanding with him.

Now it's your turn. Go ahead and pick apart everything I say, so you can be the bigger man somehow by challenging me. I'm done, and I will not reply to you again.

Ive never heard Fudd as a term for a hunter. Ive only heard it in the sense that some gun owners own hunting firearms or pistols only and they are sometimes the one most contemptuous of black rifle owners. Ive seen it many times.

I really don't understand why you continue to pick apart and challenge everything I post. I've tried to be conciliatory but I can see that you are just plain contrary by nature.

As I've said multiple times, MY friends, who I've known for decades, ARE on our side. MY AR pistol, to ME for my personal purposes, is a "range toy". I also believe that, that day, I did help build a bridge and foster some understanding with him.

Now it's your turn. Go ahead and pick apart everything I say, so you can be the bigger man somehow by challenging me. I'm done, and I will not reply to you again.

LOL

Edit to add:

You started this thread asking questions. You don't like the answers you are getting and that's somehow my fault. None of it was personally directed at you either really but you're thin skinned enough to take it that way for some reasono_O

1. Your friend may be pro 2nd amendment but that doesn't mean he understands it, based on what you said. It sounds like he is just pro-guns.

2. All ar-pistols aren't range toys by virtue of it being a pistol which from your opening post, was implied.

3. A Fudd is a made up internet term, no one is running around calling each other Fudds. There's no authoritative meaning for it and it didn't originate on this site.

4. Take a carbine course and you'll be able to easily convey the "practicality" of any AR to someone who is pro-2nd without issue.

Last Edited:
Hey Andy, you are one of the most easy-going, well spoken guys on this forum. I understand why you were getting rather irritated over the ARs and bears issue earlier.

Some people get a good laugh (out loud) when they finally pick enough to get you to snap. I've been really working at not letting silly stuff like that get to me, after all this is the internet... :)

Hey Andy, you are one of the most easy-going, well spoken guys on this forum. I understand why you were getting rather irritated over the ARs and bears issue earlier.

Some people get a good laugh (out loud) when they finally pick enough to get you to snap. I've been really working at not letting silly stuff like that get to me, after all this is the internet...
Thanks...
The biggest issue here , is that I am right and those other fellas...well....:eek::D
( Just kidding here )
Andy

Dude is a total FUDD...Can't get any more practical for home defense then the AR-15.
I can think of numerous choices I would prefer for self defense. My cx4 in .45acp tops that list for me. In my suburban scenario the ar15 in 5.56 has too much range. I own a few ARs and I don't think the ar is practical for everybody. I don't think the design is particularly elegant either. It works great and is a fine platform.

In the words of Ron Burgundy :
"Well that escalated quickly "....:eek::D

The AR15 series of rifles do other things nicely as well...
Many folks hunt and compete with their AR15...
They are easy to learn how to shoot...
Lots of parts and goodies for them...
Ammo in the 5.56 version is plentiful and cheap...

I find mine just a fun gun to shoot...And while one may argue that "Fun" doesn't always mean "Practical"...
A rifle that is common , fires a commonly found cartridge and is easy to use , seems enough "Practical" for me....even if they ain't my favorite rifle...:D
Andy

Another question I have, maybe someone can help me with: what is a "Fudd"? I know what my definition of a Fudd is, but we must have different definitions. To me, a Fudd is a gun owner, typically a hunter but not always, who is proud of his old-school deer rifles and duck guns, but look down their noses at anyone they don't consider a "true sportsman" like themselves. They're typically glad to support banning nasty old "assault guns". To me, Fudd is a term of derision reserved for "sportsmen" who favor gun control.

By that definition, my friends are absolutely, positively not "Fudds", and I have to admit to being a little offended by those that throw the label around so loosely. Some of them may be a lot more "country/redneck" than I ever was, and live a different lifestyle than I do, but they are solidly pro-2A all the way, do not support gun control, and absolutely, positively would never vote for the extremist wackos currently in power in Salem. If you want to call them Fudds just because they have a different perspective and level of understanding, I think you don't know what a true Fudd is.

Top 10 ways to spot a Fudd - The Gun Writer

I think what most fail to understand is a lot of the so-called 'Fudds' grew up in, and were gun owners (and some a lot more than 'casual') in a time when there was virtually no active gun control efforts by any politicians or groups - and are having a hard time accepting what we all are dealing with now.
I do not own any MSRs, and I am hardly a 'Fudd' but I certainly remember the 'time' I described.

Last Edited:
A fudd is someone that only cares about their huntin rifles and is ok with AWB and mag bans because they have this idea that the 2nd only applies to hunting and they don't think their deer guns will be targeted later down the road.

970BA4D4-687C-4D11-8E12-9B4CD0C57222.jpeg

I have a lot of AR 15 rifles (9 maybe) and pistols (2) all in 5.56, AR 10 rifles (3 complete, 1 in Parts) in 308. We have two AR 9 pistols too. I do have rimfires of course, but what would be considered Centerfire hunting rifles, two 94's in 30-30 and a Model 70 in 7 MM Mag. I don't know why so many AR's can't shoot more than one at a time. variety I guess.

I was not a Bump Stock Ban Fan. I never wanted a Bump Stock, but I wanted a ban even less.

Last Edited:
Yes, I know that's a click-bait title, but that 's what I was told last weekend.

I did some shooting with friends. There was an AR pistol present and I mentioned to one friend that I thought that particular gun wasn't very practical, more of a "range toy". He replied with a very sincere question, asking what the practical value of any AR was.

Before you call him a Fudd, realize that he's about as country, redneck, hardcore 2A, hunting fool as they come. He wasn't implying that he supported any form of ban in any way, just that from his perspective as a hunter he didn't see any value in them at all. He kind of shrugged off the home defense and "armed citizen" arguments. He doesn't even care much for recreational shooting, so if it's not a levergun or scoped bolt action, he's not much interested.

I thought this might be an interesting topic, because there are millions like him out there; family, friends, neighbors. They're on our side to one degree or another in principle, but not really into it because it doesn't really affect them, and they don't really understand it. I think "gun people" often make the mistake that because someone else is a gun owner that they'll understand the fight and be on our side.

#1: I personally never liked the rear cocking mechanism on the m-16, ar-15, m-4 pattern. I don't like the cocking mechanism being
inches from my nose. If the gun jams in a life-death/hunting situation it forces you to dismount the piece (pointing it at something
you didn't intend to shoot- a basic firearm rule). Also my beard is over a foot long (hence the nom de plume) and I'd always be catching
it in the cocking mechanism. Personally I'd rather have something like a Galil Ace with a side cocking mechanism.

#2: I never liked the .223/.556 it just doesn't have much power. Last fall I spent an evening going over the published ballistic
charts for common ammo manufactures. Quite simply the .308/7.62 has more power at 400 yards than the .223 does at
the muzzle.

Blessings,
Longbeard

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany