JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yes, I know that's a click-bait title, but that 's what I was told last weekend.

I did some shooting with friends. There was an AR pistol present and I mentioned to one friend that I thought that particular gun wasn't very practical, more of a "range toy". He replied with a very sincere question, asking what the practical value of any AR was.

Before you call him a Fudd, realize that he's about as country, redneck, hardcore 2A, hunting fool as they come. He wasn't implying that he supported any form of ban in any way, just that from his perspective as a hunter he didn't see any value in them at all. He kind of shrugged off the home defense and "armed citizen" arguments. He doesn't even care much for recreational shooting, so if it's not a levergun or scoped bolt action, he's not much interested.

I thought this might be an interesting topic, because there are millions like him out there; family, friends, neighbors. They're on our side to one degree or another in principle, but not really into it because it doesn't really affect them, and they don't really understand it. I think "gun people" often make the mistake that because someone else is a gun owner that they'll understand the fight and be on our side.
While I admit I own AR style rifles, I agree that other styles are more comfortable to hold and shoot. It also has taken me quite a while to become adjusted to the way they feel while shooting.
It probably has something to do with body mechanics. I get the impression that if I was wearing body armor an AR style rifle would probably be easier to adjust to my form than most bolt or lever guns because the length of pull is adjustable. I don't remember the last time I wore body armor.:cool:

Just put gas piston systems in them and a nippled buffer to mediate carrier tilt. Main concern with DI is the hot dirty gas vs bolt face-lugs deal anyway. Get the ergo-familiarity-weight advantage and available aftermarket as well. Got POF's, LWRC's and a cobbled Stag Arms lefty in 6.8 with an old PWS mothered to carrier piston set up. They run well with minimal maintenance required. Works for me but understand it's not everybody's idea of the hot setup.

Yes, I know that's a click-bait title, but that 's what I was told last weekend.

I did some shooting with friends. There was an AR pistol present and I mentioned to one friend that I thought that particular gun wasn't very practical, more of a "range toy". He replied with a very sincere question, asking what the practical value of any AR was.

Why is an AR pistol a "range toy"? Most AR Pistols are merely SBRs with "braces" to circumvent the ridiculous NFA laws. SBRs and *most* AR-Pistol variants make excellent CQB rifles for the home and are easier to transport.

The SOCOM Mk18 with a brace that functions identical to a stock would be an "AR Pistol" vs an SBR, while the Mk18 isn't as popular now among the SOCOM community as it once was I don't think they would have ever referred to it as a "range toy".

Before you call him a Fudd, realize that he's about as country, redneck, hardcore 2A, hunting fool as they come. He wasn't implying that he supported any form of ban in any way, just that from his perspective as a hunter he didn't see any value in them at all. He kind of shrugged off the home defense and "armed citizen" arguments.

Your two statements about your friend don't compute. The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, trying to draw some correlation between the two is illogical. The "armed citizen" argument literally IS THE 2nd amendment.

He doesn't even care much for recreational shooting, so if it's not a levergun or scoped bolt action, he's not much interested.

"Recreational shooting" can also be known as "being proficient with a firearm" however, those two can also have absolutely nothing to do with each other, as your friend demonstrates.

Taking your firearms out once in a while and shooting at targets, you're not gaining much of anything except barely keeping up with the basics of being proficient with the manual of arms of that particular gun and ensuring it has retained zero/functions.

Taking your firearms out semi-regularly and practicing reloads under time, shooting multiple targets at same and different distances, clearing malfunctions in a quick manner etc is also "recreational shooting" but with a purpose beyond just having fun shooting some ammunition.

I thought this might be an interesting topic, because there are millions like him out there; family, friends, neighbors. They're on our side to one degree or another in principle, but not really into it because it doesn't really affect them, and they don't really understand it. I think "gun people" often make the mistake that because someone else is a gun owner that they'll understand the fight and be on our side.

This is true, liberals own guns. Liberals consistently vote to restrict your gun rights among others. They would gladly see other people with guns (the Government) come to take yours away should it come to it.

As I said before, owning a Bible, or a copy of the constitution or a gun for that matter neither makes you a Christian, Constitutionalist or 2nd Amendment advocate.

I don't hunt, although I own a model 94 in .32 Wspl, and a 30-06 1917 Enfield sporter. I don't shoot clays etc., although I own a Rem. 870 Wingmaster and a Winchester Defender shotgun. I love all things semi-auto, so I own 3 ARs, 1 AK, several pistols in various calibers. I also love .22 lr and have a few of those both bolt and SA. Each has its own purpose, and is fun in its own way. Practical? All the practicality that need is the pleasure each gives me when I shoot. Oh yeah, and I am ready for the zombie apocalypse.:D

The AR15 , in 5.56* , isn't very practical as a bear rifle...not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice.
So what is your point...? Some may ask...

"Practical" depends on usage and personal perspective...is my point.
Many folks would consider the firearms of my choice as not very practical...but then I couldn't shoot a AR15 at rendezvous...so again usage...the AR15 is not practical for me at that time and place.

That said my AR15 Carbine is lightweight and accurate , easy and cheap to shoot ...those qualities are very practical...if I want a fun "modern" rifle to shoot , go varmint hunting with , have plenty of options to customize , even use as a defensive rifle ...its very practical indeed.

Luckily we are not restricted in likes or dislikes in firearms...there is no rule that says you must only own "practical"
( whatever that means... ) firearms.
Own what you want , shoot safely , don't look down at other peoples firearm choices....should be simple.
Andy
*Edit to add a very common caliber that the AR15 is chambered in ....Just to keep folks from sayin' "Yeah but it can be chambered in_____ . "
Oh wait , that won't stop 'em either...sigh
Black bear it should be fine, grizzly bear is a different story.

If you want to use a 5.56 rifle on black bear...be my guest...I will not.
As I said in the post you quoted "not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice."
Andy
30 rounds of bonded soft points should work, Hell People stop them with handguns. If weak pistol calibers work an intermediate rifle round will. The chances of a bear attack are so slim anyways I'm not worried about it.

30 rounds of bonded soft points should work, Hell People stop them with handguns. If weak pistol calibers work an intermediate rifle round will. The chances of a bear attack are so slim anyways I'm not worried about it.
You are missing my point...I said "not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice."
Note that no where did I say it would not work or not stop a bear..I just said that I wouldn't use it....I have far better firearms for hunting / stopping bear...SIGH

Andy

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding my original post. Our discussion of guns on that day wasn't a deep, philosophical one; it was more just a casual comparison of what was practical to us personally.

My AR pistol, to me, is more of a "range toy". I can certainly see the practicality of them to some people, but for my personal use, it's just fun to shoot and that's about it. His question about "What good are they?" was simply from a lack of understanding. He saw them all as just fun "range toys" because all he knows are hunting rifles. He had nothing against them at all, he just didn't understand.

Another question I have, maybe someone can help me with: what is a "Fudd"? I know what my definition of a Fudd is, but we must have different definitions. To me, a Fudd is a gun owner, typically a hunter but not always, who is proud of his old-school deer rifles and duck guns, but look down their noses at anyone they don't consider a "true sportsman" like themselves. They're typically glad to support banning nasty old "assault guns". To me, Fudd is a term of derision reserved for "sportsmen" who favor gun control.

By that definition, my friends are absolutely, positively not "Fudds", and I have to admit to being a little offended by those that throw the label around so loosely. Some of them may be a lot more "country/redneck" than I ever was, and live a different lifestyle than I do, but they are solidly pro-2A all the way, do not support gun control, and absolutely, positively would never vote for the extremist wackos currently in power in Salem. If you want to call them Fudds just because they have a different perspective and level of understanding, I think you don't know what a true Fudd is.

You are missing my point...I said "not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice."
Note that no where did I say it would not work or not stop a bear..I just said that I wouldn't use it....I have far better firearms for hunting / stopping bear...SIGH

Andy
Well for me it's ether my AR or my 9mm Glock because that's what I have. I know what I would pick. But I'm not worried about it, people is what I watch out for. No need to get so defensive.

An AR pistol would be practical if we got national reciprocity, and didn't have to abide by local laws as long as we don't stay in the state for more than five days. Cause then I'd have something I could bring on the truck.

Some crazy two legged critters in the paved jungle...

Well for me it's ether my AR or my 9mm Glock because that's what I have. I know what I would pick. But I'm not worried about it, people is what I watch out for. No need to get so defensive.
I get "defensive" when folks mis-read my statements....and put their "spin" on what I said...
Maybe you ought to re-read the post you want to reply to and think before you quote someone.
Andy

I get "defensive" when folks mis-read my statements....and put their "spin" on what I said...
Maybe you ought to re-read the post you want to reply to and think before you quote someone.
Andy

I don't know why you're accusing me of illiteracy, and claiming that your old musket is better than my AR?!?!?

Just kidding Andy! :D Most of us understood exactly what you were saying, the first time you said it. :)

The labels being thrown around in this thread are against forum rules and only meant to divide us. Lets clean it up or this thread will unfortunately be closed.

I don't know why you're accusing me of illiteracy, and claiming that your old musket is better than my AR?!?!?

Just kidding Andy! :D Most of us understood exactly what you were saying, the first time you said it. :)
Thanks...CLT65...:D
My old musket would be better at rendezvous...but my AR15 Carbine is a heck of a lot fun to shoot at other times and places...
Andy

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews