JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
$5 the dingus that said that was driving an F500 and the only thing it ever hauled was his fat arse down to the slurp n gulp.

Given the number of different calibers that can be used in an AR setup, I would think that it has all North American game covered - .22 to .450 cal with a 45-70 thrown in as a custom.

I was hoping that this would be a constructive discussion without a bunch of people bashing my friends as knuckle-dragging idiot fudds. I guess the temptation to trash people with a different perspective is just too great.

Remember, these are good people who are solidly on our side. They just don't really understand, but they do sincerely want to. A little bit of reasonable education will go a very long way with them. Trashing and name calling them the way some of you are is very counterproductive. I thought about texting him a link to this thread, but I sure wouldn't do that now.

For those of you saying you can't hunt bear with an AR, including an Alaskan brown bear, are wrong. No offense, but what you stated is factually incorrect.

One of the greatest advantages of an AR is its almost limitless adaptability. An AR can be anything from a .22LR all the way up to .50 BMG, often with only the change of an upper. Push two pins and you now have a rifle or pistol of a different caliber.

For bear hunting or fishing in Alaska, I would feel very comfortable with a .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, or .50 Beowulf by my side for protection.

You will always have the side that dosen't have any interest in AR type firearms and will cross the fence to the left side on this issue.

I know several people who huntwith the AR platform and others that do long range target shooting. They could care less about your semi auto 12 gauge duck & goose gun,
Your 30/06 bolt action deer gun, your 10/22 squirrel gun, your 38 stubbie or 9mm compact carry gun.
But as a whole the support all types of guns no matter what design, caliber or gauge, what configuration it happens to be.
To each their own as long as they are responsible.
That's where the line should be drawn, if you do illegal stuff, get the full wrath of the law. No plea bargins, no soft sentences, hard time or DEATH.
That is where every one should be working towards. No new laws against law abbiding gun owners.
That is one reason I will never vote for the anti gun left side of the fence.

I was hoping that this would be a constructive discussion without a bunch of people bashing my friends as knuckle-dragging idiot fudds. I guess the temptation to trash people with a different perspective is just too great.

Remember, these are good people who are solidly on our side. They just don't really understand, but they do sincerely want to. A little bit of reasonable education will go a very long way with them. Trashing and name calling them the way some of you are is very counterproductive. I thought about texting him a link to this thread, but I sure wouldn't do that now.

Point taken, we are frequently our own worst enemies.

An AR-15 may not be practical for your friend's needs, but that doesn't mean they aren't practical for the needs of others. Consider that in a ten lb package you can have a have a semi auto rifle capable of hunting everything from varmints to deer and excellent for self defense that includes almost 100 rounds of ammunition. That's just the 556 version. Change out the upper and you can get a cartridge suitable for almost anything without having to buy a whole new rifle. It's easy to work on and maintain even in the field, no special trainingor knowledge is needed.

For those of you saying you can't hunt bear with an AR, including an Alaskan brown bear, are wrong. No offense, but what you stated is factually incorrect.

One of the greatest advantages of an AR is its almost limitless adaptability. An AR can be anything from a .22LR all the way up to .50 BMG, often with only the change of an upper. Push two pins and you now have a rifle or pistol of a different caliber.

For bear hunting or fishing in Alaska, I would feel very comfortable with a .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, or .50 Beowulf by my side for protection.

When I said that for bear hunting a AR15 isn't practical ...
I meant the AR15 in 5.56 caliber...not any other caliber option.

While the AR15 can come in many other calibers or even be easily converted to other calibers...
I'd be willing to bet that most AR15 rifles are in 5.56....so no I am not wrong , in the context of what I was saying....
Andy

Shoot man I thought they got off light. Seems to me the trashing was mostly in jest. You should see what some of the members around here say to me! :)

My post was meant as chop-bustin' humor, no rancor intended. ;)

Ya, I used to be like your friend, until I got my first Fal 20 yrs ago. It was kind of a gateway drug. Now I have hunted and killed deer with most of the deer appropriate chamberings offered in the AR and enjoy shooting many styles of weapons. Always good to keep an open mind.

I used to be just like your friend. One day he may change.

Much of this I see as humor and not seriously bashing those that have no use for ARs. What I do see is the lack of gun owners voting against anti 2nd Amendment Initiatives and voting for the same anti's in OR Legislature. If they really cared about guns and the 2nd Amendment there wouldn't be a supermajority of anti 2nd Amendment Legislators.

When I said that for bear hunting a AR15 isn't practical ...
I meant the AR15 in 5.56 caliber...not any other caliber option.

While the AR can come in many other calibers or even be easily converted to other calibers...
I'd be willing to bet that most AR15 rifles are in 5.56....so no I am not wrong , in the context of what I was saying....
Andy
There are so many different calibers available in the AR15 and in the AR10 platforms you cal get one to hunt any thing on the North American Continent and almost everything else around the world.

Try making a thread like this over at arf dot com. I think you'd find our slight ribbing to be tamer than the Brady Bunch having dinner with the Waltons compared to over there.

And it is just the internet after all.

My daughters like shooting our ARs, light recoil, easy to shoot and less shooter intervention between shots. The angst against a certain rifle is like a Prius driver telling truck drivers their vehicles have no point or purpose until they need one.

Try making a thread like this over at arf dot com. I think you'd find our slight ribbing to be tamer than the Brady Bunch having dinner with the Waltons compared to over there.

And it is just the internet after all.
The same can be said about a lot of other internet forums that pertain to firearms. Snipers hide and 24 hour campfire are others that believe in free speach....

In many ways, the AR is frankly THE ideal "starter rifle" for learning to shoot on. Lightweight, low recoil, ergonomic, limitless customization to fit individual needs...

The same can be said about a lot of other internet forums that pertain to firearms. Snipers hide and 24 hour campfire are others that believe in free speach....

And believe in allowing their members to completely trash each other. That's not how NWFA works. :rolleyes:

I think the reaction is probably born out of the frustration many of us feel about a certain type of gun owner. We would fight tooth and nail for them to retain the right to get out once a year and hunt upland birds or duck, but they wouldn't afford us the same loyalty. Their reaction to banning AR's or pistols/concealed carry would be: "well, nobody needs those things anyway." They never seem to realize it's all the same fight and nobody will be left to help them when, after all non-hunting firearms are banned the anti gun set decides "nobody needs to hunt either because, after all, you can buy everything you need at the store."

Definitely not saying your friend is like this, just my thoughts on the reactions.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads