JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
JMB is that you? If not please cite your source(s).
Uhm, you have that backwards.

No one has a source to support the claim that any of this is by design-- there were, and are no notes about the design process outside the army.

No one has ever produced any reputable citation to support the idea that any of this was by design, and I defy anyone here to do so. (Not to mention that a lot of it doesn't really work very well, and if it was by design, it certainly wasn't up to JMB's standards.)

Not to mention that you can't prove a negative. But do carry on.

It's an interesting article, but it's a myth.

I have to wonder, too. The 1911 has been a popular tool, even if only off and on, since uh, well, probably 1912. If this was by design, don't you think we would have known for a while now?

I always assume a round bottomed slot in a screw head is for a coin. If the grip panel screw was designed to be removed by the rim of a cartridge the slot would be dovetail in shape because the rim can not be inserted squarely into the slot like a screwdriver tip will be.

But...

(Big butt?)

Whoever figured out that you can do all of this with one casing and the parts removed from the gun was thinkin! This is a great thing to share with 1911 fans.

Thanks

I can't get the rim of the case to go into the Allen head screws.

I would rather use punches to tear mine all the way down.

I would rather pull the mainspring housing first so the hammer didn't have any tension on it when I start pushing pins out.

Taurus has them all beat, it just comes apart on its own.

2h7fbk3.jpg

I needed to give my gun a good cleanin the other night. I needed an allen wrench (see the "screwdriver" in the pic) to remove the grip screws. After that I mostly used parts from the gun. In this pic the sear, disconnector and trigger were already replaced in the frame. I did not disassemble the mainspring housing or remove the sights. I probably could have used the sear spring to remove the mag release, but used a small screwdriver instead. Ya really don't need much to tear one of these all of the way down.

parts_zps2f859a47.jpg

There are some things about the 1911 that have been asserted over the years, but unfortunately JMB and/or those who worked with and for him didn't leave such notes behind.

I've heard of the 1911 being its own tool box...nothing to confirm that it was made that way on purpose, but it does make one wonder.

A gun that was designed and manufactured in a different era...

It's like JMB laid the foundations to the great pyramids. Subsequent improvements only capped the top 1/3rd, if that.
Imagine one of the big gun companies trying to invent the model 1911 today without JMB to lead the way.
The straight forward genius of the man is pretty impressive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top