JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmm...who exactly is this "we" of whom you speak?

"Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect." Eleanor Roosevelt.

1653578326208.png

Hmm...who exactly is this "we" of whom you speak?

"Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect." Eleanor Roosevelt.
The "we" is people for responsible gun ownership.

How would you assess their mental state?
How would you? Your the one with the question. I have to guess you might believe anyone that has more than a gun or three, is mentally unstable? Because "Why would any one need all those guns". Or, "Why would anyone want a gun like that?". Or, "You don't need 30 bullets to hunt deer!".

Am I right?

The "we" is people for responsible gun ownership.
I'm for responsible gun ownership. I'm also for dolling out serious penalties for those that use guns in a criminal manor. Are you? Do YOU contact your elected democrats <(see how nice I was there) and INSIST they make gun crime penalties swift and serious? Because we've seen a butt-load of serious crimes committed by people that are dangerous. And should have crimes on their records that would NOT allow them to purchase fire arms, be set totally free with out any record.

So?

How would you? Your the one with the question. I have to guess you might believe anyone that has more than a gun or three, is mentally unstable? Because "Why would any one need all those guns". Or, "Why would anyone want a gun like that?". Or, "You don't need 30 bullets to hunt deer!".

Am I right?
No. I am asking us as people who stand for responsible gun ownership to figure this out. I don't know the answer. Here lies the problem. I respect you and all responsible gun owners.

No. I am asking us as people who stand for responsible gun ownership to figure this out. I don't know the answer. Here lies the problem. I respect you and all responsible gun owners.
I'm I to be my brothers keeper? How am I to keep complete strangers on a path of responsibility?? I can't do it for the drivers on the roads. How could I possibly have any power to do it with the millions of gun owners in America?

I'm for responsible gun ownership. I'm also for dolling out serious penalties for those that use guns in a criminal manor. Are you? Do YOU contact your elected democrats <(see how nice I was there) and INSIST they make gun crime penalties swift and serious? Because we've seen a butt-load of serious crimes committed by people that are dangerous. And should have crimes on their records that would NOT allow them to purchase fire arms, be set totally free with out any record.

So?
Thank you for the suggestion. I think that is a step in the right direction. We as people for responsible gun ownership need to talk to our representatives about how we are going to assure the safety of all people. So stricter laws after people use guns irresponsibly... is a good start.

Fairly divisive intro message.

Welcome?

However, mere compliments to a community you've just joined while simultaneously and seemingly nefariously asking what the magic solution there is to preventing "mentally ill" from obtaining firearms RIGHT AFTER a mass shooting lends itself to a lot of doubt about your character for me personally.

Whose job is it to keep firearms out of the hands of mentally ill individuals?

Other firearms owners?

The government?

Given that mental health services in this country are horribly lacking, insufficient to treat the sheer numbers of mentally ill persons throughout the country, and mostly that the family model has completely broken down in our culture, what is the answer? We warehouse our mentally ill in jails and prisons now; upon their releases, they typically become homeless or go back to other living circumstances that provide too little or no support for their condition, let alone any oversight by someone who could intervene should the individual show signs of decompensating to the point of becoming a "mass shooter."

Take firearms away from the competent and law-abiding?

Give every citizen free license to report to the government someone they suspect or believe to be mentally ill?

So you have no problems with Americans owning as many, and most any, types of guns they want? And you also believe that 30 round magazines in AR 15 rifles (Not "Assault Weapons'" BTW) are standard capacity magazines? And believe that the 2nd amendment is every bit as important as the other amendments to The Constitution. You need to answer these questions to confirm you REALLY are just for responsible gun ownership.

I'm I to be my brothers keeper? How am I to keep complete strangers on a path of responsibility?? I can't do it for the drivers on the roads. How could I possibly have any power to do it with the millions of gun owners in America?
You are not responsible for any act of irresponsibility. Safety training? What else can we do? Can we do anything to help others' safety? More funding for people's mental health and driver's safety? Yes, there are millions of gun owners and car owners in the USA.

Whose job is it to keep firearms out of the hands of mentally ill individuals?

Other firearms owners?

The government?

Given that mental health services in this country are horribly lacking, insufficient to treat the sheer numbers of mentally ill persons throughout the country, and mostly that the family model has completely broken down in our culture, what is the answer? We warehouse our mentally ill in jails and prisons now; upon their releases, they typically become homeless or go back to other living circumstances that provide too little or no support for their condition, let alone any oversight by someone who could intervene should the individual show signs of decompensating to the point of becoming a "mass shooter."

Take firearms away from the competent and law-abiding?

Give every citizen free license to report to the government someone they suspect or believe to be mentally ill?
Yes, it seems a hard hill to climb to keep guns away from the mentally ill. How could we help that without taking guns away from responsible owners?

So you have no problems with Americans owning as many, and most any, types of guns they want? And you also believe that 30 round magazines in AR 15 rifles (Not "Assault Weapons'" BTW) are standard capacity magazines? And believe that the 2nd amendment is every bit as important as the other amendments to The Constitution. You need to answer these questions to confirm you REALLY are just for responsible gun ownership.
My question is about keeping guns out of the hands of mentally ill persons, not about gun ownership.

Am I right?
I think it's hard to judge when a person is mentally ill. I believe responsible gun ownership means you are safe with a gun and you stand up for the safety of others.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top