JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got our bags checked in with no problem….. G43X will meet me in DFW! :D
Risk it for the brisket!

I hope he's not going to be in Dallas the whole 7 days. TORTURE!!!
images.jpeg

-Robert

Is this instead of your yearly to Australia? Are you going to do a pig hunt?

Sounds like fun! Not having to wear the face rag sound real good!
I REFUSE to step ONE bubblegumming FOOT in AUS until they get their current Orwellian tyranny in check!

We're actually staying at a time-share resort in Flint, TX…. and will explore around all the area DFW, Waco (etc) while there for potential places to live.

I'm serious when I say that I'm leaving sheite-hole Oregon when I retire!

FYI- Since I don't do bars (or taverns), and the wife, daughter, SIL, and first grand-baby will be with me, there won't be any "pig" hunts…. :D

Texas does not want to get rid of their feral hogs, its like a billion dollar industry.
If they truly wanted to get rid of them theyd prohibit profit hunting from them like they have in Oregon.

I have cousins in the San Antonio area. When they were younger they worked for ranchers that paid them to kill feral hogs. I never understood what the heck they were talking about til recently.

Yeah, me neither. I really miss occasional visits to the wide open of the desert. I don't want it permanently, but miss it. Our spring trips for years were to Lake Powel. Fishing, rock hounding. General sight seeing driving on roads that weren't even paved at the time, and very few people around.
Lake Powell, Arizona?

A bunch of the Pomona H.S. kids used to go there for Easter vacay. Always came back burnt. I wanted to go with, but my parents vetoed. Then one of the kids dove off some rocks head first and became a quadraplegic (sp)... that ended my hopes for sure. Finally got to check it out when we were snowbirding in Quartzsite, but by then it was highly populated and commercialized.

After I graduated H.S., I used to go with two friends to camp/fish/ski at Lake Mead. They had water in the lake back then. Great bass/crappie fishing and mudcats overnight made good morning bkfst. Hot!!! One time it was 125F and water skiing was like a blast furnace on ya. Then there was the Sidewinders at night if you went very far to pizz, and scorpions under every rock... even in my pants that I was going to put on one morning... started sleeping in the boat instead of sleeping in the open (no tent).

Fun times!!!

We fished those brookies too in small natural lakes and beaver damned creeks in The High Uinta's of Utah.
The must have been nice.

Are they bare or forested?

What gear did you use? Spinning or fly rod? What lures/flies?

Lake Powell, Arizona?

A bunch of the Pomona H.S. kids used to go there for Easter vacay. Always came back burnt. I wanted to go with, but my parents vetoed. Then one of the kids dove off some rocks head first and became a quadraplegic (sp)... that ended my hopes for sure. Finally got to check it out when we were snowbirding in Quartzsite, but by then it was highly populated and commercialized.

After I graduated H.S., I used to go with two friends to camp/fish/ski at Lake Mead. They had water in the lake back then. Great bass/crappie fishing and mudcats overnight made good morning bkfst. Hot!!! One time it was 125F and water skiing was like a blast furnace on ya. Then there was the Sidewinders at night if you went very far to pizz, and scorpions under every rock... even in my pants that I was going to put on one morning... started sleeping in the boat instead of sleeping in the open (no tent).

Fun times!!!

The must have been nice.

Are they bare or forested?

What gear did you use? Spinning or fly rod? What lures/flies?
Lake Powell UTAH! Bullfrog Basin. Our very first visits were to Hite Crossing, before the lake was filled. No power at Hite other than the generator that ran the small store and ONE light on a pole in the camp ground. We didn't have spring break where I went to school. The folks and my younger brother go down to Bullfrog a week before Easter to get a site for our small trailer. Cold nights and warm days. The place would fill up to overflowing by Friday night before Easter. One year a group of the popular chicks from my high school happened to be there tenting. We were nice kids, still virgins. I wasn't popular with that crowd. One of the gals was a real popular beauty, cheerleader, who happened to be my table partner in biology class. She was one of the nicest ever of those popular gals. ( Good lord man. This sounds made up! :s0140: ) I remember being in that little tent with three or four of them smoking weed. I was never a good weed smoker. Never liked it but did it anyway. We also took our Honda 90s with us and I'd ride all over the place, on the red rock, dirt roads. Dad and I would carry the hondas in the back of the Econoline up away from the camp ground and strike out gathering chunks of petrified wood. Some up to 40-50 lbs.

Loved the fishing too. A little 12' aluminum boat was carried on top of the van. And a 7.5 Eska to hang on it. Salad plate sized crappie, and decent bass.

We just used "garden hackle" for the brookies. A sliding clear bubble filled with water, if it was snaggy. Or a sliding sinker if not. With worm, and a marshmallow to keep it off the bottom. Sometimes we'd build a small fire on the lakeshore and with some wire we carried wrap a small fish on a stick and cook it over the fire.
The Uinta's are the only mountain chain in the U.S that run east and west. there were plento of trees, up to tree line. If you're interested google it up and look at the Uinta Range going up from Heber City to Kamas and then follow the upper Provo river.
I feel so lucky to have been able to run so free and see so much.

That cheer leader gal died in a jeep rollover, with a bunch of party guys/gals, at "The Widow Maker" hill climb just after school let out in our senior year.

Lake Powell UTAH!
Dang, my mind is just not working well nowadays!!! (Will send you a PM)

We were nice kids, still virgins. I wasn't popular with that crowd. One of the gals was a real popular beauty, cheerleader,
I was in the nerd strata of H.S., ... I wanted to be one of the "cool" kids, but just wasn't. Not a jock, not a "socsh", not one of the outlaws either... just a kid with an above avg IQ and an A+ grade point.

I liked the cheerleaders well enough... pretty much got along with everybody. I was shy, but seemed to be liked, very choosy about close friends... only had a very few, have kept it that way all my life. But I was amused at how many of those pristine virginal cheerleaders got pregnant by the jock head of the football team, etc. Everybody thought I was a dirty dog, but I didn't get laid until I was seventeen. Not for lack of trying...but the whole shy thing was a hindrance. Always.

I was never a good weed smoker. Never liked it but did it anyway.
The middle brother got me smoking weed. I liked it for about the first 1/2hr, then the muscle cramps, itching, and paranoia would start. Hungry and horny... then real damn sleepy. My best friend was a hash smoker... that was quite an experience. (Dang, now I got Jimi Hendrix in my head... "Are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced? Well, I have."

Loved the fishing too. A little 12' aluminum boat was carried on top of the van. And a 7.5 Eska to hang on it. Salad plate sized crappie, and decent bass.
NICE!!!

We have a very small lake within 5 min of town (Morgan Lake)... rowboats, no engine. We row and troll flies from a fly rod with a floating line.

About 1/2 hr away is Thief Valley Reservoir, on the Powder River before it goes to Brownlee/Snake. We took the 12' boat with a 10hp Merc and trolled for trout with light rods, 4-6lb test, and the smallest flatfish. Some pretty nice rainbow there. Also used to have some bass, but drawdowns have heavily impacted local lakes. They have lots of rattlers around there too. Right in the parking lot and on the boat ramp.

We just used "garden hackle" for the brookies. A sliding clear bubble filled with water, if it was snaggy. Or a sliding sinker if not. With worm, and a marshmallow to keep it off the bottom.
I used to use worms on the bottom at Morgan Lake, until a guy showed me how to catch bigger trout there using Power Bait and a slip sinker. It's not active fishing but sometimes I like to just sit on the bank, drink covfefe, and jaw with a friend. I haven't gone in a long time... cost of a license, the wife having dementia, and my fishing buddy getting all leftist political and not keeping his mouth shut as I requested... we are no longer friends.

Sometimes we'd build a small fire on the lakeshore and with some wire we carried wrap a small fish on a stick and cook it over the fire.
That's what I liked about backpacking... fish always taste better in the wild!!!!

I feel so lucky to have been able to run so free and see so much.
Yep.

Now kids stay locked away with their noses stuck in a Smartphone or the game console. I have grown neighbors and that's all they do... they even have parties on the weekend where they stay up all night gaming. No outdoor activities, in fact they don't even take care of their yard... a sore subject.

That cheer leader gal died in a jeep rollover, with a bunch of party guys/gals, at "The Widow Maker" hill climb just after school let out in our senior year.
Mike, we are getting of an age when that is happening to our friends more and more. But I do remember a VERY nice H.S. gal that died in Pomona when her convertible went into a construction ditch for a big pipeline, flipped over, and the windshield smashed her neck against the pipeline. Bummer. Fortunately we didn't lose too many friends that way. But I lost one of my best friends to religion in H.S., then throat cancer just after graduation.

Only the good die young... the azzholes and miscreants always seem to be bulletproof!

True, but 4.2% of Texas is more land than Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined, and more land than Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire or New Jersey. It's also more public land area than most other states.
Remember though, the big island of Hawaii, the largest island in the chain, is approximately the same size as Douglas County, both in population and square miles.

Only the good die young... the azzholes and miscreants always seem to be bulletproof!
:s0140:
I think you claiming WE'RE going to be here a long time? I'm not sure if that's a good thing?

In the middle of than long mess I wrote I went in and dug yearbooks out. '71-'73. There are 2-4 kids memorials in the back couple pages. Most of the names i knew of and/or remember the person. I might be luck, I had very few close friends IN high school. And only one, after and still friends. I'm surprised to hear through a grape vine of how many kids I went to school with have passed before they even reached 65.

:s0140:
I think you claiming WE'RE going to be here a long time? I'm not sure if that's a good thing?

In the middle of than long mess I wrote I went in and dug yearbooks out. '71-'73. There are 2-4 kids memorials in the back couple pages. Most of the names i knew of and/or remember the person. I might be luck, I had very few close friends IN high school. And only one, after and still friends. I'm surprised to hear through a grape vine of how many kids I went to school with have passed before they even reached 65.
Mike, WE've already been here a long time.

We talk about the OLD FOLKS... now that is US!!! The wife is 80, she has no older relatives, a few cousins the same age, and most of her school chums are gone... small school, Cove.

I wear that as a badge of honor! I figure the longer I live while still being mobile makes my chances better for going quick and relatively painless. When that time comes.
when I was diagnosed with diabetes in my 50s... the doc warned me that I have longevity in my family (dad was 85 when he died, and mom just turned 97), so I would live with the effects/disabilities for a long time. Has turned out to be too true.

Oregon doesn't have much of a pig problem that I have observed as yet . They are thick is fleas in the south and central US . I remember shooting 3 one day in my front yard . They wreak havoc on hay meadows and crops , gotta keep em culled as much as possible , given that a sow can have a dozen piglets that is quite a task.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top