JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It doesn't mention anywhere that article that there is virtually no public hunting lands in Texas.

Yeah, public land in the GREAT, big state of Texas is 4.2%. Virtually no where people can hunt without paying a land owner for the privilege. Kinda' late now to be begging people to come kill pigs me thinks.

Last Edited:
It doesn't mention anywhere that article that there is virtually no public hunting lands in Texas.

Yeah, public land in the GREAT, big state of Texas is 4.2%. Virtually no where people can hunt without paying a land owner for the privilege. Kinda' late now to be begging people to come kill pigs me thinks.
Don't mess with Texas Bro…:p:p:p

Don't mess with Texas Bro…:p:p:p
I want to admire them. Not a hunter myself, but being highly respectful of hunters and hunting, I think it sucks that you have to pay for a license and then pay for the privilege to get a place to take game that belongs to public. Like the water that flows in the rivers belongs to the public. But then I grew up in, and then moved to, a state that has a lot of public land.

I want to admire them. Not a hunter myself, but being highly respectful of hunters and hunting, I think it sucks that you have to pay for a license and then pay for the privilege to get a place to take game that belongs to public. Like the water that flows in the rivers belongs to the public. But then I grew up in, and then moved to, a state that has a lot of public land.
AFAIK Mike...

From my reading at texasguntalk.com, there are a lot of landowners that still invite or allow people to come onto their land to help control the hog population. That said, a lot of them have also wised up to the market prospects of people wanting to hunt hogs.

As far as the people's game goes... yep, that's a bummer. Most of the guys on the forum there own land or aspire to own land. Not too many city fellers on that forum. But there are also a lot of "outfitters" that raise game to for guided hunts.

It's definitely different from what we are used to here. Best thing to do there I think is become a bass fisher. ;)

True, but 4.2% of Texas is more land than Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined, and more land than Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire or New Jersey. It's also more public land area than most other states.

I think it's pretty easy and reasonably priced to be able to hunt private land. And personally, I'd be willing to pay a little bit to not have to hunt in woods that look like a pumpkin patch in hunting season.

AFAIK Mike...

From my reading at texasguntalk.com, there are a lot of landowners that still invite or allow people to come onto their land to help control the hog population. That said, a lot of them have also wised up to the market prospects of people wanting to hunt hogs.

As far as the people's game goes... yep, that's a bummer. Most of the guys on the forum there own land or aspire to own land. Not too many city fellers on that forum. But there are also a lot of "outfitters" that raise game to for guided hunts.

It's definitely different from what we are used to here. Best thing to do there I think is become a bass fisher. ;)
I'll admit I probably don't know much about it. I do know that our own state has a whole LOT of beautiful forest with a lot of no trespassing signs on it. These last two years Wifey and I have been using road day trips a lot for recreation. It saddens me when I think back to the years that you could pretty much pull over anywhere and just walk out in the forest. Get out and hike to a lake or crick and fish, or mushroom hunt.

I'll admit I probably don't know much about it. I do know that our own state has a whole LOT of beautiful forest with a lot of no trespassing signs on it. These last two years Wifey and I have been using road day trips a lot for recreation. It saddens me when I think back to the years that you could pretty much pull over anywhere and just walk out in the forest. Get out and hike to a lake or crick and fish, or mushroom hunt.
For sure.

I don't know about the west side, but here the logging companies that own much of the land have closed them off due to misuse by the public. Sad.

For those who are ignorant of feral hogs and do not come from that part of the world... They are doing this because the term breeds like rats truly applies . In Oklahoma the state legislature made it a crime for land owners to create sanctuaries for wild pigs because of they spread so quickly. They are not even considered game animals , legally they are classified as invasive and a pest because of the damage they do to habitat.

You are correct. I dont disagree with your sentiment.

I have a friend in Nagaodoches area. I think he pays $4-600 a year for his lease.
He fills his deer tags every year.
Averages a hog every 2 weeks. Kills several coyotes every year. Takes several species of animals on his lease each year. I have not heard one complaint from him about it. He also uses the land to go out and target shoot and to test new rifle loads that he has worked up.

Lots of folks around here, myself included, pay for the use of a range with super restrictive rules and policies. Plus you run the risk of a negligent discharge from the dummy in the lane next to you.
The rules that he has to follow are pretty basic. Clean up after yourself and lock the damn gate.

There are pros and cons to everything in life. If you are already in TX and have a lease. That $10/hog bounty could go a long ways to paying for the lease and licenses.

ETA, I have open invite to go hunt with him, anytime. Now i just need to figure when to do that.

Maybe out in The Alvord Desert area?
Mmmmmmm, NOT my cup of tea at all.

I really enjoy the Sonoran desert with all it's diversity of nature, but here in OR I want all the forests, rivers, and lakes. I miss backpacking up in the High Wallowa mtns. Fishing brookies and small rainbow on ultralight gear, a casting bobber, and a homespun buggy looking fly.

Mmmmmmm, NOT my cup of tea at all.

I really enjoy the Sonoran desert with all it's diversity of nature, but here in OR I want all the forests, rivers, and lakes. I miss backpacking up in the High Wallowa mtns. Fishing brookies and small rainbow on ultralight gear, a casting bobber, and a homespun buggy looking fly.
Yeah, me neither. I really miss occasional visits to the wide open of the desert. I don't want it permanently, but miss it. Our spring trips for years were to Lake Powel. Fishing, rock hounding. General sight seeing driving on roads that weren't even paved at the time, and very few people around.

We fished those brookies too in small natural lakes and beaver damned creeks in The High Uinta's of Utah.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top