JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Much on this list could be viewed as applying more to First-world urban locations more than the entirety of humanity around the globe.
Although, in the case of wireless communications for example, yup, landline are pretty much dead everywhere on the planet, and oddly enough, will probably hang-on longest in the First-world. Anywhere they haven't already been installed by now, will now just go wireless.

The idea that music will disappear is laughable...

I for one fall into "the books will not be forgotten camp"...But what else would you expect from a guy who loves antique guns?...:D

To me a computer , kindle , nook or any other electric reader ...is cold and impersonal , while a book has warmth and sense of history about it.
Andy
All good things but I think more important is that they have some modest level or permanence. The dystopian dreams of the "Firemen" of Fahrenheit 451or of the "Ministry of Truth" of 1984 will be much easier to attain in a world of nothing but electronic media. How much of today's electronic media would survive an EMP or Carrington type event? I don't mind reading electronic books but I like to have the hard copy version of anything important. The constant effort to re-write history is a little more difficult when there still exists contemporary books of the time (not that they're always true either). My hard copy books will still work even with only solar power.

The music started to die when it and art where no longer offered as electives in the school curriculum. ....

Before that and worse in my opinion and experience is the elimination of shop classes. Knowledge of how to make real,l tangible, useful THINGS. The knowledge that such things are even possible much less how to actually do it. I wonder how many (if any at all) kids in the average high school class today have ever even heard the word "lathe", much less seen one or have any idea how to use it. The lathe. Arguably the single most significant achievement since the discovery of fire yet few grasp there even IS such a thing and they're unlikely to learn about it in "school".

Before that and worse in my opinion and experience is the elimination of shop classes. Knowledge of how to make real,l tangible, useful THINGS. The knowledge that such things are even possible much less how to actually do it. I wonder how many (if any at all) kids in the average high school class today have ever even heard the word "lathe", much less seen one or have any idea how to use it. The lathe. Arguably the single most significant achievement since the discovery of fire yet few grasp there even IS such a thing and they're unlikely to learn about it in "school".

I agree. I enjoyed shop classes. Made things I had and used for years. Made my mother a napkin holder in 8th grade. it was on her table until the day she died when I was 64.

This is a lost art in schools any more. College prep is all it is about and they do a piss poor job of that. My kids were still able to do auto shop, welding and all. We had a construction business and full shop, so they had lived that life from the time they could walk. I had them driving tractors at 10 years old and able to effectively run an excavator or dozer by 14.

I taught them all how to drive 10 and 13 speed transmissions. I gave them all basic flight instruction. The youngest graduated 12 years ago and shop classes are gone, auto is gone and woods is gone. No interest they said. Bullsh*t. They has to cut costs to keep up with these obscene increase in PERS and something had to go and shop class was it.

I loved shop in high school and the ag mechanics class gave me the push to study agricultural engineering in college and that lead to a good career in the construction business. A friends son was not going to a 4 year college. He did 2 years in a vocational trade school for welding and now works at Zidell and makes over 100k a year, bought a house and is doing well while some other guys he knows cannot get 40K a year jobs with bachelors degrees and owe up the azz for student loans.

I do not know where this country is headed, but with the huge numbers of youth being entitled snowflake millennials, who is going to build our infrastructure ?? The US will be a country who has to import trade labor from other countries because our society has bred it out of our work force.

The U.S. is a country that has to import trade labor from other countries because our society has bred it out of our work force.

Fixed it for you.

I twice drove Youth groups to Tijuana to build houses for families living under tarps. The teenage boys were pathetic. They didn't know how to hold a hammer, saw a board, or use a tape measure. The girls didn't know either, but at least they listened to instruction and were far more productive. The boys seemed to be experts at computer games and talking trash.

True that "SHOP" made many people what they are today because it was "hands on". Now all the schools teach kids to pizz & moan if they don't get their way!!!:mad::mad::mad: Imagine the world in 10 years from now when workers only apply for jobs to sit in a cubical & play games and tell the bosses to F Off.... Oh wait, that happened 20 years ago... my bad:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

I twice drove Youth groups to Tijuana to build houses for families living under tarps. The teenage boys were pathetic. They didn't know how to hold a hammer, saw a board, or use a tape measure. The girls didn't know either, but at least they listened to instruction and were far more productive. The boys seemed to be experts at computer games and talking trash.

I was involved with some of those youth groups in a house build situation and can agree with that. I still do some media work on projects like that and can attest that the work ethic completely sucks. They cannot put them damn phones down long enough to pickup the wrong end of a hammer. How they can accomplish anything productive is beyond me.

True that "SHOP" made many people what they are today because it was "hands on". Now all the schools teach kids to pizz & moan if they don't get their way!!!:mad::mad::mad: Imagine the world in 10 years from now when workers only apply for jobs to sit in a cubical & play games and tell the bosses to F Off.... Oh wait, that happened 20 years ago... my bad:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
I see the teachers handing out candies to the kids as they get on the bus. The custodian tells me that they do it all day as a reward for good behavior. Some of these kids are severe ADHD cases already, and these stupid twits for teachers are sugaring them up... being rewarded for doing what the are supposed to do anyway? What the freak is that!?

I see the teachers handing out candies to the kids as they get on the bus. The custodian tells me that they do it all day as a reward for good behavior. Some of these kids are severe ADHD cases already, and these stupid twits for teachers are sugaring them up... being rewarded for doing what the are supposed to do anyway? What the freak is that!?

Yep, trophies for attendance only, the ruin of public schools and civilization
nowadays.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top