JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or as I call them Bubblegumsoft

To make a long story short for the second time in a year, Bubblegumsoft has skrewed me by messing up yet another computer!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
The first time was last New Years Eve - Bubblegumsoft did one of their automatic updates and in the process the update sent a corrupted file and my Vaio was stuck in a reboot loop. After a weekend of calls to Bubblegumsoft customer service and talking with mostly non English speaking morons, I ended up driving to Seattle to have my Vaio fixed - to their credit for free.

This time my work computer - a six month old HP - notified me that Bubblegumsoft was installing automatic updates. When done, my laptop would not allow me to sign in using my pin or password. I literally cannot get past the sign in screen when I start my computer:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!

Is there a way I can reset this or has Bubblegumsoft left me with a very expensive brick?

Yikes, I'd suggest more time on the phone. I've actually had reasonably good luck with their tech support in the past but I will admit I use a Mac now and have for a few years.

Yikes, I'd suggest more time on the phone. I've actually had reasonably good luck with their tech support in the past but I will admit I use a Mac now and have for a few years.

I tried it and it didn't go well. Three different tech assists, each one with English skills worse than the last.

The very last one couldn't get it into her thick skull that I could not get past the logon. I literally got so frustrated that a perfectly good bottle of Moosehead found itself flying across the room.

The last time around I had to take my computer to the Microsoft Store in University Place - it looks more and more that I will be doing that again.

Btw is there any way I can shut off automatic updates on the other two laptops?

You didn't say which version of Win you are using so here's how it's done in 8.1:

Start > Control Panel > Windows Update > Left hand menus select: Change Settings > Select from the drop-down, "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them"

It's up to you to clear or check "Recommended Updates The Same Way I Receive Important Updates" and "Give Me Other Updates For Other MS Products". >Click OK, exit out of Control Panel.

Next time updates are available you'll get a notification, a window will appear listing the updates, then you can look up what each update will do before installing it. Not all the updates are useless, the important ones plug vulnerabilities and some even fix some of their earlier mistakes.

There is a great big Bubblegumming problem with Windows trying to force you to update to win 10. I went through this on my desk top finally having to reinstall Win 7 pro 64 and backed up all the files I wanted/needed to keep on a storage drive. My laptop is Win 8.1 and I have it set to notify me of any updates but not to auto install. I then go through the list of updates, Avoiding the ones infected with malware, and install them only. M.S. has been really funny to deal with, and I imagine a class action is in the works for them to fix this or refund BILLIONS in destroyed systems!

Honestly, this whole process is a massive charlie foxtrot.

Personally, I highly recommend sticking to FireFox as a browser and running both Ad Block Pro (there's another newer adblocker out there, I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but there's supposedly some issues with ABP) and no-script. This makes the web a raging pain in the butt to use until you get used to it. I also recommend never installing adobe flash for any reason. This will certainly cause other compatibility issues, but it's a massive security concern.

That's step 1 if you're committed to using a windows environment, however it's absolutely important that you do this. The next step is to turn off automatic updates. Again, speaking of myself personally, I typically do not install updates unless they are "critical security" and even then I usually wait 2-3 weeks to see if problems creep up.

Now, if you're just trying to get into your computer, and make repairs, you're probably going to need a windows install or rescue disk. Normally, this would be easier to do with a working computer, but it's just an ISO file you download, burn to disk, and then mostly follow the directions.

What I recommend you do first is make a linux rescue disk: SystemRescueCd
Then I'm going to tell you to read the manual. Then read the manual again.

Now, if you don't have one already, go get a USB backup disk (something to copy your files to) and back up your data before you do anything else.

Then using your "windows system repair" disk, (available here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc) see if you can unlock the system by "repairing" it. It may be easier to re-install your system, which is a whole 'nother article. Try these steps first, and at least back-up your data.

Depending on where you want to go long term, I'm slowly pushing some of my windows systems over to linux. and hope to be windows free in 2 years (some of my software is only available in windows, but I'm going to try running it in WINE). When it comes to MS products I'm done.

I solved the problem

In the end I had to take out the battery, then turn on the laptop without the battery or internet. I got to the login screen, the PIN wasn't recognized but my password was. It went through the whole "We Have Updated Windows" crawl (translation we have updated more apps that you never use and never will use). After that no problems, it seems to have worked. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks to all who replied!

Permanent fix: go to linux. I've been using Ubuntu for years, before that Arch and Puppy Linux. I will never go back to Windows, because I value peace of mind, and performance. Every once in a while I get dragged into fixing something on my wife's Windows machine, and it is torture.

I can never figure out why so many stay with Windows. "Everybody else does it", I suppose. But what a price to pay, to remain a member of the thundering herd. :)

Permanent fix: go to linux. I've been using Ubuntu for years, before that Arch and Puppy Linux. I will never go back to Windows, because I value peace of mind, and performance. Every once in a while I get dragged into fixing something on my wife's Windows machine, and it is torture.

I can never figure out why so many stay with Windows. "Everybody else does it", I suppose. But what a price to pay, to remain a member of the thundering herd. :)

I prefer Macs but there is some software that won't run unless your running an emulator. It's like buying a high end car, your getting what you pay for up front.

PC'a are cheap to fix but break a lot and are quickly outdated in comparison

@ The OP - I would get an external drive, format it and install windows on it. Google how to start windows from an external drive. The you can copy the files you want to keep and then reformat your main hard drive and re install everything.

That's about as easy as it gets with windows - it's a time sink and pain. (The above assumes you have another computer or access to one).

I was an early Linux adopter back in the early '90s (kernel 0.99.xx) when it was still beta. Stayed with it for years because I both enjoyed tinkering under the hood and being an independent oddball nerd. Now I use Mac because I'm at a time in my life when I just need sh$t to friggin' work. I'm no less odd today, I just have less time to tinker.

To be outright blunt, 98% of issues are caused from the end user. Not the computer, or Operating System :rolleyes:
Don't drink and drive. Someone take the keys away

Last Edited:
To be outright blunt, 98% of issues are caused from the end user. Not the computer, or Operating System :rolleyes:
Don't drink and drive. Someone take the keys away

PC's parts and software are all made by different company's to loose standards. They are prone to issues every time there is a software upgrade of any kind.
I have been into computers for 30 some odd years and PC's caught on because they are cheaper then Macs.

In fact Windows 95 was a direct copy of apples OS in looks and user interfaces. Windows has been playing catch up with apple since DOS.

Apple makes their own parts in house and also develops the OSX in house (which is free to upgrade now - vs Windows which rapes you with every new OS they put out) to be compatible with their hardware.

PC's need constant tinkering to keep them running well and that takes a certain amount of know how to do properly.

With my Macs, it says it has an update, I press ok and then it still works great.

So yea it is user error but 99% of people can't change their own oil on their car much less update mother board firmware and grafics card updates and all the other stuff you need to know to keep one running for more then 4-5 years.

My mac tower from 2005 still rocks multiple programs and eventually with $300 in ram and processors, will tear up most new PC's.

If you have the knowhow and time and intrest in tinkering with a PC the they are great gaming machines but beyond that they are just a disaster waiting to happen.

My 2¢:p

--- --- ---
---
--- ---
---
--- ---
:s0093:
Favim.com-24669.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show