Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Taurus PT 1911 hammer follow

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by 2ndtimer, Jul 9, 2016.

1. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

I have a Taurus PT 1911 that if you pull the trigger with the safety engaged, then release the safety the hammer will fall to half cock. Are there any gunsmiths in Washington State that might be able to fix it? I would prefer not to have to send it back to Taurus for repair. Not sure if it is a problem with the safety, the hammer or the trigger. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? I am also considering just buying a Ruger SR1911 CMD to replace it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

If you are down near Vancouver then bring it on in and we can take a look. I'll PM you with details

Velzey likes this.
  3. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

4. 2ndtimer

Thanks for the replies, guys. My in-laws live in Centralia, and my sister lives in Renton, so either Redmond or Vancouver could be within range in the near future. Not sure how much to invest in a 1911 with "Taurus" so prominently displayed on the slide. It shoots fine, with a decent trigger pull, I just worry that the "hammer drop safety" could lead to other potentially dangerous problems down the road. It will most likely be Vancouver, since the wife calls the shots where her new Prius is concerned. And Vancouver traffic has to be better than Redmond....

5. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hey 2ndtimer,
    Sound Like you sear/hammer are to negative and That the thump safety is moving just a little to make the hammer follow down. Make the sear/hammer Positive.
    Tony Carrier
    netcarrier@yahoo.com
    503-260-3906
    Portland, Oregon Area
    :D

6. 2ndtimer

Thanks for the reply. Would that imply that maybe the hammer and sear should be replaced (maybe with a Cylinder &Slide drop in kit)?

7. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hey 2ndtimer,
    You can sometimes just make the Sear/Hammer more positive by stoning them. That if you know how to do that. If you don't know, take it to a GunSmith.
    Tony Carrier
    netcarrier@yahoo.com
    :D