JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a brand new logging road on the right. Otherwise once on North Wolf Creek Road it was the 1st right hand turn up a hill. With that new road it is now the second right up a hill. If you follow Nofo Road longer it will take you threw a recently logged area and eventually to a site with a 200 yard shot.

last trip up there someone was at the new logging road shooting the stumps they blocked it off with. I stopped and said there was a new range just up the road. But he was still there shooting the stumps when I left. Guess he did not like stumps.

Map to location @nwslopoke

Untitled (8).png

last trip up there someone was at the new logging road shooting the stumps they blocked it off with. I stopped and said there was a new range just up the road. But he was still there shooting the stumps when I left. Guess he did not like stumps.

Map to location @nwslopoke

View attachment 306740

Thanks. I was just at that fork. Dooh! Good enough then. I just wanted to see where it was. I did see the new road on the first right. It was blocked off but I saw a few shotgun shells around it.

Went out to my favorite spot in the Tillamook State Forest on Sunday and was very disappointed to see that someone had trashed the area. I had just been there a few days prior and it was clean as always. They had been shooting beer bottles, left all of their brass, empty cups, cigarette butts, they even had the nerve to build a bonfire while we are under fire restrictions. We cleaned up as much as we could. Picked up broken glass and a couple hundred spent rounds as well as the random garbage and cigarette butts. Makes me sad. 20160828_125519.jpg

Went out to my favorite spot in the Tillamook State Forest on Sunday and was very disappointed to see that someone had trashed the area. I had just been there a few days prior and it was clean as always. They had been shooting beer bottles, left all of their brass, empty cups, cigarette butts, they even had the nerve to build a bonfire while we are under fire restrictions. We cleaned up as much as we could. Picked up broken glass and a couple hundred spent rounds as well as the random garbage and cigarette butts. Makes me sad.View attachment 309644

I was up at the quarry off of Hwy 6 last weekend and it was trashed again too. Beginning to think that shotgunners are the worst of all. Will bet that I could have picked up 500+ empty SG shells up top alone. Empty boxes of shells, plastic inserts of ammo boxes, assorted trash, half-burned trash, etc, Down in the quarry there were plastic bottles, glass bottles, 2x4s, assorted targets in all levels of destruction, etc. One of these days they will stop allowing people to shoot up there because of the mess. A Sheriff told me one day that the last time they cleaned it up it cost over $40,000 !!

I was up at the quarry off of Hwy 6 last weekend and it was trashed again too. Beginning to think that shotgunners are the worst of all. Will bet that I could have picked up 500+ empty SG shells up top alone. Empty boxes of shells, plastic inserts of ammo boxes, assorted trash, half-burned trash, etc, Down in the quarry there were plastic bottles, glass bottles, 2x4s, assorted targets in all levels of destruction, etc. One of these days they will stop allowing people to shoot up there because of the mess. A Sheriff told me one day that the last time they cleaned it up it cost over $40,000 !!
It's guys like us that help keep it open. Spread the word to ban together to help keep public land open to shooting.

Thanks Lazy and Carley!

It sounds like we need to set up a cleanup effort at Browns Camp to show the irresponsible shooters what can be accomplished when a group of determined individuals focus their efforts on a common goal. I have shot at the pit in the distant past but I quit going to "Clowns Camp" because of the gross misuse and the intermittent closures. I don't know if the area is worth saving but I would definitely be willing to take on a role in any effort to help out a public shooting area that many could benefit from.

It sounds like we need to set up a cleanup effort at Browns Camp to show the irresponsible shooters what can be accomplished when a group of determined individuals focus their efforts on a common goal. I have shot at the pit in the distant past but I quit going to "Clowns Camp" because of the gross misuse and the intermittent closures. I don't know if the area is worth saving but I would definitely be willing to take on a role in any effort to help out a public shooting area that many could benefit from.

I like the quarry but only to a point. I can check the Tillamook State Forest blog, then go to the target shooting tab at the top. It will tell you if it is open or closed. Its a 30-40 drive up there for me. It has an appreciable distance to shoot and is good for pistol or rifle. But I go early, like 7.30 or 8 am. Usually no one up there or there are good people there. Once it begins to get busy I will pack up and leave. Just don't like people walking behind me or my truck. Watched a guy who had backed in aim forward through his car (back across the road). Had a mag inserted and then turned around. I stood there with my shotgun watching no one but him until he looked over at me. Repacked my truck and it was time to leave. Its nice up there when there aren't many people up there.

Well, you guys are on your own for the rest of this year! I've organized too many cleanups since Feb and now I'm going fishing and hunting!

You could, however, give a shout out to anyone who'd join you in a cleanup when ever you want. Doesn't have to be a big thing. It's surprising what just 3-4 folks can do in a short time. If you do, be sure to post some pics of it!

Have a good fall/winter!

Cogs

Went out to my favorite spot in the Tillamook State Forest on Sunday and was very disappointed to see that someone had trashed the area. I had just been there a few days prior and it was clean as always. They had been shooting beer bottles, left all of their brass, empty cups, cigarette butts, they even had the nerve to build a bonfire while we are under fire restrictions. We cleaned up as much as we could. Picked up broken glass and a couple hundred spent rounds as well as the random garbage and cigarette butts. Makes me sad.View attachment 309644
I hope this wasn't off of Salmonberry Rd, louisgnont Rd, or Wolf Creek! Wherever it was, we all thank you for being a steward of our public lands.

Wow Those new Lanes are awesome! Ive yet to shoot at an outdoor spot with actual lanes yet. How is the Dirt Road going In?

If that little ground hugger in your avatar is your daily driver you'll want to go slow I think. Still, I'd say if you have 4" you'd be fine.

I'm the new kid on the block...was up at a practice/training session near Banks yesterday, nice spot. I am interested in finding good spots, happened upon this website, and I'm so glad to find a community of responsible shooters. It's sad when people trash what could be a great practice area for everyone, wonderful when other people take steps to clean up the trash.
Am going to be traveling around Rockaway Beach with my wife next week, I was thinking about doing some shooting, e.g., at the Tillamook Quarry, but I'm a bit creeped out with the idea of non-careful shooters being at places where I want to shoot. Wish all shooters could be NWFA types...

I'm the new kid on the block...was up at a practice/training session near Banks yesterday, nice spot. I am interested in finding good spots, happened upon this website, and I'm so glad to find a community of responsible shooters. It's sad when people trash what could be a great practice area for everyone, wonderful when other people take steps to clean up the trash.
Am going to be traveling around Rockaway Beach with my wife next week, I was thinking about doing some shooting, e.g., at the Tillamook Quarry, but I'm a bit creeped out with the idea of non-careful shooters being at places where I want to shoot. Wish all shooters could be NWFA types...
I live in the area but have not heard reference to the "Tillamook quarry", where is that?

Pretty sure that the 'Tillamook quarry' refers to the quarry up at Browns Camp. This is located up at the top of Hwy 6 on the way to the coast. Guessing maybe 20 min out of Banks. Just before you head down the long grade you will see a sanding shed on the north side of the hwy. Turn there and go back about 2 miles (stay to the left at the y). Turn right at the tee (stop sign) and go about 200 yards. its on the left. As I said I go early because it is usually empty at 8am . Get my shooting in and then I'm done. The quarry is probably 175-200 yards in length. Pistols, rifles, or shotguns work

I was out at the north fork wolf creek site today and collected a full contractor bags worth of trash...which pretty much fills my garbage can at home. Is anyone aware of a friendly business that wouldn't mind the use of their dumpster between the site and Portland?

Beer bottles, fast food trash, shattered wine bottles, shattered 2 liters. Plenty of steel case .223 and alum 9mm. It also looked liked someone took their recycling up to the range and shoot it up on the ground then burned it in the center of the shooting lane. Come on people; pack it in, pack it out.

I was out at the north fork wolf creek site today and collected a full contractor bags worth of trash...which pretty much fills my garbage can at home. Is anyone aware of a friendly business that wouldn't mind the use of their dumpster between the site and Portland?

Beer bottles, fast food trash, shattered wine bottles, shattered 2 liters. Plenty of steel case .223 and alum 9mm. It also looked liked someone took their recycling up to the range and shoot it up on the ground then burned it in the center of the shooting lane. Come on people; pack it in, pack it out.
Thank you for being a great steward of our public lands! It is despicable that people have so little respect for public areas and use them as their own personal trash bin. I wish I knew of a place for that trash to go, unfortunately my local business generates more garbage than our dumpster can handle as is. Thank you again for cleaning up other peoples' mess!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top