JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you for being a great steward of our public lands! It is despicable that people have so little respect for public areas and use them as their own personal trash bin. I wish I knew of a place for that trash to go, unfortunately my local business generates more garbage than our dumpster can handle as is. Thank you again for cleaning up other peoples' mess!

Thanks, though I feel like it's the least I can do to help ensure continued access to public shooting area that benefits all of us. I've been through enough range closures back east to know how the bad actions of a few people can ruin things for a number of responsible folks.

I'll say that so far every time I've been out there, I've only encountered nice people, doing their part to shoot & use the area responsibly.

If anyone that is leaving Tillamook forest area and picks up trash and has no place to dump it, pm me and you can through it in my work trash trailer.
im in forest grove so it's close and kind of on the way back to Beaverton Hillsboro etc.

If anyone that is leaving Tillamook forest area and picks up trash and has no place to dump it, pm me and you can through it in my work trash trailer.
im in forest grove so it's close and kind of on the way back to Beaverton Hillsboro etc.
This is an amazing gesture for these sites! Thanks Drew!

Was told on Friday that Sheriffs were giving out $1000 tickets for those who ignored a Do Not Shoot posting at the quarry up by Browns Horse Camp. Wish they would post a red flag notice on the billboard down by Hwy 6 to save everyone the rough drive back there.

Was told on Friday that Sheriffs were giving out $1000 tickets for those who ignored a Do Not Shoot posting at the quarry up by Browns Horse Camp. Wish they would post a red flag notice on the billboard down by Hwy 6 to save everyone the rough drive back there.
I'll contact ODF and see if we can make that happen. Who did you hear this from? Was it an actual deputy? Or was it, well this one guy told me that some other guy who has a dog that plays with this other guy's dog....?

The forest service states that the Rock pit is "Open" for target shooting.
Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting

Last Edited:
I'll contact ODF and see if we can make that happen. Who did you hear this from? Was it an actual deputy? Or was it, well this one guy told me that some other guy who has a dog that plays with this other guy's dog....?

The forest service states that the Rock pit is "Open" for target shooting.
Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting
Ran into a guy in Cabela's (yeah, I know) and he had been up there on Wednesday. (Made a mistake in the OP on the day). He said there were 2 deputies there and he was informed of it by them. But I've thought it should be posted out front. The ODF office in Forest Grove is the one that controls the quarry and surrounding area. I do not know who controls the Till State Forest website. Its said that the quarry is open(dated 9-1-17) and is never updated that I can tell. I live in Tigard so its helpful to me to be able to check on its being open/closed.

Ran into a guy in Cabela's (yeah, I know) and he had been up there on Wednesday. (Made a mistake in the OP on the day). He said there were 2 deputies there and he was informed of it by them. But I've thought it should be posted out front. The ODF office in Forest Grove is the one that controls the quarry and surrounding area. I do not know who controls the Till State Forest website. Its said that the quarry is open(dated 9-1-17) and is never updated that I can tell. I live in Tigard so its helpful to me to be able to check on its being open/closed.
They typically update the blog and post a big red sign at both the quarry and the Hwy when they close it. I'll email ODF anyway and see what they say.

Have never seen a red sign at the highway note board.
Have you been there when it has been closed to shooting? I know for a fact I've personally seen the sign twice. I guess when I say "big" I really mean 8.5" x 11" normal sheet of paper in a plastic cover. But it clearly states that the rock quarry is "CLOSED" to target shooting. Regardless, there is always North Fork Wolf Creek off 26, a spot that we worked hard with Forestry to build for our use year-round. Forestry has been saying for the last several years that the Rock Quarry would eventually be shut down permanently to target shooting. In this instance i think it was just some guy at Cabela's talking out of his butt.

Have you been there when it has been closed to shooting? I know for a fact I've personally seen the sign twice. I guess when I say "big" I really mean 8.5" x 11" normal sheet of paper in a plastic cover. But it clearly states that the rock quarry is "CLOSED" to target shooting. Regardless, there is always North Fork Wolf Creek off 26, a spot that we worked hard with Forestry to build for our use year-round. Forestry has been saying for the last several years that the Rock Quarry would eventually be shut down permanently to target shooting. In this instance i think it was just some guy at Cabela's talking out of his butt.
What? A gun guy over embellish something?! I have but the website does say that they can close down at anytime which I do understand. Will hate to see it go away but people sure do trash it out with no regard to it being a privately owned operation.

What? A gun guy over embellish something?! I have but the website does say that they can close down at anytime which I do understand. Will hate to see it go away but people sure do trash it out with no regard to it being a privately owned operation.
Just spoke with Tillamook County Sheriff's office. Rock pit is Open for business. In fact, the deputy I spoke with was writing up a report at this moment about some guy who shot himself in the leg yesterday at the rock pit. I will still say, if you haven't been to North Fork Wolf Creek it's a much better place to go.

Just spoke with Tillamook County Sheriff's office. Rock pit is Open for business. In fact, the deputy I spoke with was writing up a report at this moment about some guy who shot himself in the leg yesterday at the rock pit. I will still say, if you haven't been to North Fork Wolf Creek it's a much better place to go.
Thank you for doing this. Good work. Thanks.

Forestry has been saying for the last several years that the Rock Quarry would eventually be shut down permanently to target shooting.

I really hate to hear this. It would be a shame for it to be shut down. That would put even more pressure on the NF wolf Creek sites. It is after all within the Tillamook State forest? And it's an easy site to clean up. If the plan is for forestry to shut down all other sites that people choose to shoot at within OUR forest, that would suck! We go out and spend our time, money and sweat cleaning these sites. Plus shutting down the Beaver Dam pit would just drive people to shoot at sites that are harder to reach.

I really hate to hear this. It would be a shame for it to be shut down. That would put even more pressure on the NF wolf Creek sites. It is after all within the Tillamook State forest? And it's an easy site to clean up. If the plan is for forestry to shut down all other sites that people choose to shoot at within OUR forest, that would suck! We go out and spend our time, money and sweat cleaning these sites. Plus shutting down the Beaver Dam pit would just drive people to shoot at sites that are harder to reach.
It's not because of maliciousness on the part of Forestry. It's because it's main purpose is a rock quarry. There is minimal surface rock left to mine, except for the road/firing line area. After that is mined they will have to start mining down. The guys at the Forest Grove ODF that manage Tillamook keep their personal politics completely out of their jobs and really do passionately believe the forest is for everyone's use. We will hopefully be building 2 more spots near North Fork WC this summer. The benefit to relocating shooting to North of 26 is there is very few other activities that happen up there. As long as we as a community continue to keep the forest clean, Forestry will continue to work with us.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top