JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
UPDATE!
Next week Dept of Forestry will be closing the Wolf Creek shooting locations for a few weeks while improvements are made. These improvements are designed to increase the safety of these areas and provide fire prevention steps and improve the areas for the viability of target shooting. Official press release with more details will be posted soon!

Darn, I think you beat me by a little bit. Thanks Norm. You heading out any time next week? If so maybe we can get together and head out.

North%20Fork%20Wolf%20Creek%20Project_zpsuwhzfiq5.jpg
Document: <broken link removed>

Was shooting at second turnout at Salmonberry this last Friday and took out 2 bags of trash along with my brass. Broken glass, shotgun shell casings, used food containers, plastic junk, paper cups, pisses me off to see that in the forest. Every time I go out I try to bring back some amount of junk.

It was spotless 3 weeks ago- and people were leaving their trash and even unfired rounds on the ground right in front of us as we were cleaning it up.

I hope they consider that it may be difficult for some people to navigate through huge boulders! There is a benefit to being able to back a rig up and pull a table and chairs out of the back and set up a few feet from your vehicle. The Yacolt burn site that Wifey and I helped clean was terrible to move through. There was a deep ditch to cross and huge boulders to squeeze through making it difficult for those not as "spry".

I remember discussion about making these sites more fire safe and easier to clean up. I took that to mean clearing brush from firing lanes doing some leveling and building berms by moving earth. I don't remember anything of "Barriers" to make access more difficult.

I hope they consider that it may be difficult for some people to navigate through huge boulders! There is a benefit to being able to back a rig up and pull a table and chairs out of the back and set up a few feet from your vehicle.
What benefit do you see from this?

That's why the K-rails at the firing line will form a table. There are very obvious safety issues that arise from people using vehicles as storage locations in a firing area. How many times have all of us been flagged by people grabbing a gun off a truck bed and turning to shoot out in the forest? That's the reason I quit going to the Quarry near Brown's camp. Having a table at the firing line means you don't have to use your truck bed anymore.

Well, I have to bring my fire arms, ammo, table, target stands etc, to the range in my vehicle don't I? Seems pretty plain to me? If I have more equipment that will fit on a table I want it near me for easy access and security. If I need to schlep all that stuff through an obstacle course, you've now made the place impractical for me, and some others to use.

Well, I have to bring my fire arms, ammo, table, target stands etc, to the range in my vehicle don't I? Seems pretty plain to me? If I have more equipment that will fit on a table I want it near me for easy access and security. If I need to schlep all that stuff through an obstacle course, you've now made the place impractical for me, and some others to use.

did you do any cleaning at the Lousignont site? I imagine it will be similar where you can pull right up to the boulders, they are easy to walk through since they are just to keep the cars out and set up right beyond

f758l0n.jpg

when ive been to a popular public shooting locations where others are presently shooting Ive been swept by a muzzle and sometimes from individuals retrieving their guns from their vehicles.

one doesnt show up at a gun club with an uncased rifle behind the firing line I dont see why the expected etiquett on public lands should be any different...

but I dont know how to politely convey that so I always end up leaving...

Thank you for the heads up Norm. My son-in-law and I are heading there tomorrow morning early. Glad we didn't wait till next weekend. I will be interested to see how the area looks now since its been 2 months since the cleanup.

did you do any cleaning at the Lousignont site? I imagine it will be similar where you can pull right up to the boulders, they are easy to walk through since they are just to keep the cars out and set up right beyond

View attachment 296728

We weren't among those that went to the Louisignot site, that doesn't look like a problem there though.

one doesnt show up at a gun club with an uncased rifle behind the firing line I dont see why the expected etiquett on public lands should be any different...

This is the the way it should for sure. I've shot so little in the forest the last four years because we belong to the JCGC. I guess people got dumb and careless as I remember people being friendly and safe when we'd go to the Browns camp pit. But we only ever went early week days.

Mike, the "table" will be a flipped over K-rail / Jersey Barrier. You will get roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide and 20 feet long. We tried to make it so people would have space, but still maintain safety from having to walk back and forth to their vehicle.
If you want, I am going up there on Wednesday, more than willing to meet you and take you up with me to survey the progress.

My snl and I were up there this morning shooting. Jason from the Forest Service came by and we talked for awhile about the upcoming improvements. We both were impressed to see how clean the sites were. We were there roughly from 8 till 11 and saw only 1 other vehicle besides Jason.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top