JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what I use so I never leave trash.

download_20160723_072418.jpg

Nice stand. simple and lite. I went to Standard Steel by my house in NE Portland, and bought a few steel plates for $8/per. 1/4" 12x12. The 9mm didnt really do anything at 50-100 yards, 40 S&W dented it, but the 223/556 definitely penetrated, but was still fun to shoot. Next time ill get 1/2"
I've never been to Timber. Ill look it up
I am going there on Wednesday do shoot some rounds I loaded up. What's I like about timber lots of trees so you have shade and not in full sun while you shoot.. steel plates are diner to shoot I think get a ding unlike paper targets. I have a 3/4 inch thick 6" round works nice.

Shooting steel isn't legal on USFS lands, not sure about state. Be careful, especially with fire dangers this time of year.
Where's the proof? Only thing I see, in the USFS rules, is "#6. "No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the people engaging in target shooting." None of the 10 rules say steel isn't legal.

Steel can be just fine, as long as the other fire safety conditions are met in the fire season (no dry tinder, better ammo selection such as lead rather than steel or copper core bullets and a soil or gravel impact zone). It is always best to have your steel angled to deflect a downward shrapnel path.

The idea that steel is not acceptable may simply be someones personal preference, however, I don't see anything anywhere that says is illegal.

State lands say the same thing. As far as I can tell, no one has deemed it illegal.

Cogs

Fair enough, guess I had read things wrong. Looking now I see where they ask that steel targets be avoided, especially with steel-core ammunitions.

Thanks for that! Looks like NF-45 is a few miles west of NF-54. First camping with the kiddos as well, so we'll see if there is actually time to shoot this trip!
Ha! I wasn't aware of a 54 road. Thought you got the numbers swapped in the first post. Oh well. Hope it's a good time for you all!

I went to Wildcat on Saturday (9-10-16), and no shot up toilets to report.
Thank you "The Nothing" for giving me great directions, highlighted satellite image, and coordinates. The drive here from Portland is beautiful, and took me just over 50 minutes on country roads that I hadn't driven before.
Here are a few pictures I took of the location.

20160910_103729.jpg
20160910_103737.jpg
20160910_103750.jpg
20160910_103810.jpg

I was at 36 pit the other day,and it looks absolutely terrible.I didn't have any bags with me,and it would take a dumpster anyway.
Also saw a couple illegal spots WAY up the 5710 road.
People have been shooting at the radio tower at the very top.
And all of the dispersed campsites along 57 road have been trashed by transients.Found lots of copies of "street roots" laying around amongst the used tampons,condoms,wine bottles,and Walmart bags.
Simply disgusting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads