JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was at 36 pit the other day,and it looks absolutely terrible.I didn't have any bags with me,and it would take a dumpster anyway.
Also saw a couple illegal spots WAY up the 5710 road.
People have been shooting at the radio tower at the very top.
And all of the dispersed campsites along 57 road have been trashed by transients.Found lots of copies of "street roots" laying around amongst the used tampons,condoms,wine bottles,and Walmart bags.
Simply disgusting.

March 18, 2017, 9 AM - 12 Noon

36 Pit Cleanup, Mt Hood National Forest, Hwy 224 at the 36 Pit.

cleanupcover600.jpg

Sponsored by; Trash No Land, USFS Mt Hood National Forest, Clackamas County Dump Stoppers and Northwest Firearms.

Google Maps: Google Maps 11 miles East of Estacada on Hwy 224

GPS: 45.196422, -122.180072

BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch), outdoor clothes, boots & gloves.

BYVS! (Bring Your Volunteer Spirit!)

googleearth36pit400.jpg

This is a small area and won't take long to cleanup. It sees a lot of use and gets messy often. It's a place we need to keep in good condition.

Bring some toys for some fun & safe recreational shooting after the cleanup!

If you value the privilege of free recreation in Mt. Hood National Forest, join Trash No Land, Northwest Firearms, USFS and Clackamas County Dump Stoppers as we take a stand against trash on public land.

Together, we're going to make a difference!

Anyone been to this spot recently, 45.110587, -122.061089?

I went up there last Summer and haven't been back since. Just wondering what kind of condition it's in now. Last Summer it was fairly clean.

Anyone been to this spot recently, 45.110587, -122.061089?

I went up there last Summer and haven't been back since. Just wondering what kind of condition it's in now. Last Summer it was fairly clean.

Come to the clean up on Saturday and then check it out !

I have not been there since the snow - it should be pretty good as far as I know

The Miller Road Quarry is on BLM land and there are frequently fish biologists working on projects along the river that necessitate shutting down shooting. It should be posted when they are there, but people obviously need to look. The area was never intended to invite or support target shooting.

Miller Road off Highway 26 milepost 38 Welches
Update March 28 2017

There are fish biologists working in the Sandy River adjacent to this Miller Road "Quary" every day now through the end of June from 8:00 am until 3:00pm. There is a posted closure on the BLM gate stating this.

Please respect this and wait until after 3:00pm if you want to use this site, and pass the word to your friends. It will go a long way toward improving the reputation of our target shooting sport.

There have been complaints of bullets coming near them, and they are rightfully uncomfortable with this.

Funkmaster, I haven't been out to Miller to shoot since last fall, but gate was closed then as well. I used to live in Brightwood and have since moved to Sandy--. People shoot at Miller all the time and I could hear it from my house. As far as I know, the only restrictions are as per the BLM sign restricting times when fish biologists are on site. Some Yahoo painted "no shooting" on the gate, but I'm sure it's a local sick of the noise. Like I said, haven't been out there since Sept of 2017, but unless something has changed, I would say you're good.

Funkmaster, I haven't been out to Miller to shoot since last fall, but gate was closed then as well. I used to live in Brightwood and have since moved to Sandy--. People shoot at Miller all the time and I could hear it from my house. As far as I know, the only restrictions are as per the BLM sign restricting times when fish biologists are on site. Some Yahoo painted "no shooting" on the gate, but I'm sure it's a local sick of the noise. Like I said, haven't been out there since Sept of 2017, but unless something has changed, I would say you're good.
I drove by the other day and it looks like someone payed that also. The county it city would have put a real sign up not that garbage scratch. Someone up the road is probably tired of the noise and put that on the gate because it was never there before.

The snow level has been kinda high. I'd imagine it might be a bit slushy at 3700', but I wouldn't expect it to be much. 5 Way is even lower at 3200, if it looks good there, then keep on goin!

Is there going to be another clean up at wildcat? I was up this past weekend and what a mess! The same garbage as always but only saw a Tv this time with one single bullet hole in it. There is snow still up at the main gate but people are shooting. I did speak with a few of the people up at the spot and ask that they pick up what they shoot and gave out a few bag to a few of the people. I took home three bags and a box full of brass.

Hi Reloadr, No firm location picked out yet, but, on my schedule is a cleanup for Mt Hood on Sat June 9.

Just finished one up at Fish Creek area last Sunday. Next is in Tillamook at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes on May 12th (I'll be posting that, in the Events & Get Togethers, section soon).

Thanks for doing what you can and talking it up with others! It's how we roll!

Miller Road off Highway 26 milepost 38 Welches
Update March 28 2017

There are fish biologists working in the Sandy River adjacent to this Miller Road "Quary" every day now through the end of June from 8:00 am until 3:00pm. There is a posted closure on the BLM gate stating this.

Please respect this and wait until after 3:00pm if you want to use this site, and pass the word to your friends. It will go a long way toward improving the reputation of our target shooting sport.

There have been complaints of bullets coming near them, and they are rightfully uncomfortable with this.
This last weekend (5-20-2018) I drove up to Miller Rd, I was also there about 3 weeks ago. Last time the sign on the gate had the 2016 changed to 2018, so if you go by that it says no shooting until 3pm all days and there was a cutoff like 8pm I forgot. But this weekend the 8's had been ripped off, I am not sure if this is vandalism but it could get people in trouble.

Also both times I noticed that there are now targets stuck to live trees and just off the road so people are shooting into the woods with no backstop. This is incredibly dangerous and wreckless.

And lastly there is an incredible amount of trash in there. I think I counted 3 TVs, and lots of bottles including glass.

In closing I would like to put together some volunteers and a truck or two and get the key to the gate and spend an afternoon cleaning the area up so it doesn't get shut down. Also I'd like to either call the authority or the office in Salem listed on the sign and see if we can get signs or directions where not to shoot and where is ok. I don't want to get this place shut down but it needs to be fixed. Any ideas, help, and input would be appreciated.

I think someone around there works nights and put the sign up about not shooting till 3pm. No way forest service or Salem put that sign up. I am up to help with the clean up though.
The sign that says no shooting until 3pm is a legit state or forest service sign. It's not something someone handmade and threw up to screw with us target shooters.

Thanks to @Delasangre4231 for letting us know about this. I've been in private conversation with him and we've worked out a plan.

Currently checking with the Forest Service about the location and possible cleanup for June 23rd. Will start a new thread about it, with all the details, in the Events & Get Togethers section as soon as we get confirmations.

This will be a good opportunity to show the nearby community that there are responsible gun owners out there who care about responsible shooting sports and are willing to do something about it. (we just don't believe that new laws, or closures, will solve the problem)!

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads