JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good info Cogs.
I've only tried once to find someplace to shoot on this side of the river and just gave up and started heading out to Tillamook. I only manage to get out and shoot on Wednesdays so I was usually the only person around. Now, if I can figure out where these places are, I might try to stay a lil closer to home.

Good info Cogs.
I've only tried once to find someplace to shoot on this side of the river and just gave up and started heading out to Tillamook. I only manage to get out and shoot on Wednesdays so I was usually the only person around. Now, if I can figure out where these places are, I might try to stay a lil closer to home.
I found it the place this Saturday and had a blast literally. Lots of trash left behind so me and a buddy packed out 5 trash bags of stuff. I plan to bring a rake next time for the shotgun shells. Lots of law around more than usual. This summer will be interesting with the limited space. Pm me and I will give you directions.

I found it the place this Saturday and had a blast literally. Lots of trash left behind so me and a buddy packed out 5 trash bags of stuff. I plan to bring a rake next time for the shotgun shells. Lots of law around more than usual. This summer will be interesting with the limited space. Pm me and I will give you directions.
Where did you go? I all ways have a box of trash bags with me.

I will post some more directions to Mt Hood Forest sites soon.

I can help anyone who wants Mt Hood Forest information - send me a private message and I will message or call you as you prefer.

To respond to rumors or concerns:

The Forest has not closed any area to shooting for a long time.

There is still a gate at the bottom of rd 45 aka "Memaloose" that is not mean to restrict access to shooting or anything else, but has to remain closed until the BLM finishes cutting hazard trees that present a danger to motorists along the first few couple miles, which is their land. I am going to check in on this progress and advocate for opening it ASAP.

All shooting sites / pits on road 45 are open and accessible from the other end of Road 45, which is Hillock Burn Road, accessed from Highway 211 between Estacada and Colton.

The pit area along highway 224 near milepost 36 has been closed because it is temporarily being used by ODOT to stage highway equipment and debris. This was the foundational purpose of this area, and it will continue to be used occasionally for this during construction activity. It is a small area, and so cannot reasonably be used for shooting while there are personnel and equipment nearby.

There is a newly improved area off of Highway 26 (or 224) at the end of Wildcat Mtn Road- the first left after entering the Forest - the 2609 road. The road, that was already slated for closure, was closed with a large earthen berm in a location compatible with safe use by recreational shooters, should they choose to do so. (The FS does not, by policy, designate shooting areas at this time, but endeavors to conduct this, and future work in a manner that provides opportunity )There is a bouldered parking area before the berm to demarcate the area. There is another cleared lane adjacent to this same parking area, with perhaps 100 yards available (75+) that could be used simultaneously.

There is no other road or spur off of Wildcat Mtn open to shooting due to trails and trajectories, so please do not shoot at the trailhead (obviously) on the right or beyond the green gate.

People have been shooting up Fish Creek Road #54 - which can be fine as long as the shooting guidelines are met, however they have been shooting trees down and leaving trash, so please do not continue to use these inappropriate sites.

Thank you Lars. Great update. Sounds like our cleanup, April 23rd, will be at Wildcat (Rangerlars said it's trashed already!). This will give us first hand knowledge and experience with the improved area. Sounds like it's more inviting and much better than forging through brush and trees or stumbling around in a gravel pit.

Looking forward to seeing this! So set your calendars to April 23 and plan on a great Saturday at Wildcat!

Cogs

D
I drove out to road 45 first gate open. I stopped at first shooting spot got a target set up to site in rifle. So I pulled out my gun case and then I realized I left the keys back at home. Lol! So I will try again tomorrow.

D
I drove out to road 45 first gate open. I stopped at first shooting spot got a target set up to site in rifle. So I pulled out my gun case and then I realized I left the keys back at home. Lol! So I will try again tomorrow.

Ouch I bet there were some 4 letter words at the time:rolleyes:

@Cogs , My off road vehicle is out of commission right now. Not sure how long it is going to take until it's fixed or replaced so I will most likely miss this event.:oops:

Many apologies and my best goes out to everyone that is there to help!!!:cool:

Ouch I bet there were some 4 letter words at the time:rolleyes:

@Cogs , My off road vehicle is out of commission right now. Not sure how long it is going to take until it's fixed or replaced so I will most likely miss this event.:oops:

Many apologies and my best goes out to everyone that is there to help!!!:cool:
Oh yes a few four letters words. Lol

D
That first place on the left, I believe, is the one we recommend NOT to shoot at. That should be the one where several trees have been shot down and no real berm. I realize a lot of people still shoot there but it doesn't fit in with the forest service rules. LE knows about it and so does Clackamas Co Sheriff. It's the first place they check.

Just a heads up. I'd hate to see you get ticketed.

Have to try one further up. Google map or earth will reveal some gravel pits along the 45 or some of the spurs.

Cogs.

That first place on the left, I believe, is the one we recommend NOT to shoot at. That should be the one where several trees have been shot down and no real berm. I realize a lot of people still shoot there but it doesn't fit in with the forest service rules. LE knows about it and so does Clackamas Co Sheriff. It's the first place they check.

Just a heads up. I'd hate to see you get ticketed.

Have to try one further up. Google map or earth will reveal some gravel pits along the 45 or some of the spurs.

Cogs.
Thanks for the heads up.

Where did you go? I all ways have a box of trash bags with me.

Here is a head's up for you guys:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/3-bags-of-trash-nwfa-bronze-membership.98125/ ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top