JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm collecting parts for a precision type AR build. I'm saving some money where I can and focusing the extra funds on the important parts.

Wilson Combat Super Sniper 20" fluted barrel
Wilson Combat adjustable gas block
Young National Match BCG
JL Billet 17" FFHG
POF trigger (might end up putting this in my M4 and putting an Elftmann in this rifle down the road)
Noveske Super Badass charging handle
Ergo Deluxe Tac Grip
Phase 5 Bolt Release
Phase 5 Winter Trigger Guard
KNS Pins

Here's where I'm saving some money:

RRA stripped upper
Anderson stripped lower
Standard A2 stock
Strike Enhanced LPK w/o trigger or grip

Any thoughts? I already had the forged receivers laying around so I figured I'd use those since forged is forged IMO. I actually like the A2 stock so I don't need to spend $$$ on a UBR or anything.

I haven't ordered the barrel, bcg or gas block yet. Bartlein and Krieger are out of my price range, but I've looked seriously at Faxon and Noveske also.

Last Edited:
The lower, the BCG and all the other goodies aren't going to make it more accurate. Stick to a high quality upper and barrel. As far as the Elfmann trigger, I'd go two stage for any kind of precision distance work. I know people around here argue about it, but when shooting at a long distance, you want to stage it, then breath in, then exhale. The first stage helps so much there. YMMV.

And don't cheap out on the optic. :)

Thanks for the input. I misread the Lilja site. Their barrel is about $200 more than the Wilson. Not too bad.

I've never used a 2-stage trigger, but I'll look into it for sure. It'll definitely get good glass. Don't really have anything in mind yet, but I'm sure it will cost as much as the rest of the rifle if not more.

Last Edited:
I'm collecting parts for a precision type AR build. I'm saving some money where I can and focusing the extra funds on the important parts.

Wilson Combat Super Sniper 20" fluted barrel
I think these are ER Shaw barrels
Krieger, Lilja, WOA and even RRA (Wilson Arms) in .223 Wylde
The sleeper deals would be WOA or RRA

Wilson Combat adjustable gas block
Probably not needed, but OK

Young National Match BCG
Over-priced but good.....Toolcraft FTW

JL Billet 17" FFHG
Personal choice

POF trigger (might end up putting this in my M4 and putting an Elftmann in this rifle down the road)
Meh...Geiselle is on sale

Noveske Super Badass charging handle
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 or 3

Ergo Deluxe Tac Grip
Personal

Phase 5 Bolt Release
I wouldn't for a precision build

Phase 5 Winter Trigger Guard
I like the Magpul shape

I'd use regular pins

Here's where I'm saving some money:

RRA stripped upper
Anderson stripped lower
Last time I looked, RRA was still using "rifle" uppers
Which means no M4 cuts
It will still work with a barrel that has M4 ramps but it will be slightly funky looking
having the Anderson rollmark devalues the whole rig, even though "a lower is a lower"
Go to Schuyler Arms and grab a Gen 2 Aero Precision matched set and be done
Gen 2 has the tightener (padded screw) so that eliminates the need for the KNS pins

Standard A2 stock
Strike Enhanced LPK w/o trigger or grip
Good

Any thoughts? I already had the forged receivers laying around so I figured I'd use those since forged is forged IMO. I actually like the A2 stock so I don't need to spend $$$ on a UBR or anything.

I haven't ordered the barrel, bcg or gas block yet. Bartlein and Krieger are out of my price range, but I've looked seriously at Faxon and Noveske also.[/QUOTE]

What makes these high end match barrels so expensive? My ballistic advantage barrel was just over 200 with a pre installed low profile gas block and a 1 moa (or sub moa, dont remember) guarantee. The thing shoots ragged holes, and it's not a "precision" ar.

Not trying to bash on anything. Just curious.

What makes these high end match barrels so expensive? My ballistic advantage barrel was just over 200 with a pre installed low profile gas block and a 1 moa (or sub moa, dont remember) guarantee. The thing shoots ragged holes, and it's not a "precision" ar.

Not trying to bash on anything. Just curious.
I think you can get a pretty dang good barrel these days without throwing down a fistful of Benjamins.

White Oak
RRA
Criterion
Are a few that come to mind.

With the high dollar barrels you get :
Cut rifling vs. button rifled
Stress relieved
Air gauged
Hand lapped
Blah blah

The bug holes must be smaller because the competition guys use them.

Last time I looked, RRA was still using "rifle" uppers
RRA in my experience would be an excellent choice. RRA factory built uppers at
a discount. All Products | PK Firearms
18 inch???:Dhttp://www.pkfirearms.com/rock-river-arms-r3-competition-upper
RRA_R3_Competition_Upper_3.jpg

I like PK, they have good stuff for honest prices.

Lower right pic is what I was referring to in my previous post :
M4feedramps_zps26190408.jpg

A RRA rifle set up is going to look like upper left.

Lower left is the bad one as shown and labeled.

I just looked at my RRA upper. It doesn't have M4 ramps, but it is machine out some. It has minor "ramps". Still not preferred, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe replace it down the road.

As for the Anderson lower - I don't care much about value since it's for me, not for sale. I'll run the Anderson...at least for now.

Will do. Parts arrival has slowed as it is time to spend money on gifts for other people, not myself right now. It may take a few more months to complete, but I'll post how it ends up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top