JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I participate in the Renton Fish and Game Black Rifle competition. (Super fun if you haven't done it before, try it out after checking their website)

I don't personally own a plate carrier or a tactical vest, or war belt, but I have seen many vests and "battle rigs" with spots for shotgun shells. At the competition there was even a guy there who while performing in the event with his AR and pistol, had about 5 shotgun shells in a container on his belt.

I also see "tactical" magazines, show "operators" with a couple of shotgun shells in their Molle webbing but are not carrying shotguns in their load out.

So what purpose do these shotgun shells serve?

I understand 3 gun competitors obviously use them, but it does not appear to me that these set ups are aimed at 3 gun competitors.

Chapstick??...it can get reeaalllly dry out there!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH1wbBgAFqFUOUbty5i9cU_lpJk988kjb79QkiQqAEhB94Lp53.jpg

"Look at me, I'm so Tacti-Cool..."

The ONLY functional reasons I can see are using the same rig for BR and 3-gun, or using a duty-rig where you normally carry a shotgun, in both cases wanting a consistent "standard load that feels and handles same every time."

I have a buddy who's an RFGC member... wonder if they'd let me give it a go with the Gremlin. (An "un-rifle rifle," technically a pistol--10.3" CAR-gas barrel like Mk 18 but with a Shockwave Blade at rear.)

"Look at me, I'm so Tacti-Cool..."

The ONLY functional reasons I can see are using the same rig for BR and 3-gun, or using a duty-rig where you normally carry a shotgun, in both cases wanting a consistent "standard load that feels and handles same every time."

I have a buddy who's an RFGC member... wonder if they'd let me give it a go with the Gremlin. (An "un-rifle rifle," technically a pistol--10.3" CAR-gas barrel like Mk 18 but with a Shockwave Blade at rear.)

You can use whatever you want in the competition as long as it is chambered in something at or below the same power factor as .223 or 7.62x39 or .300 black out, AR pistols are totally a go with the brace, there was a guy using that on Saturday. I use a Tavor personally. The guy who runs it personally does not like obnoxious muzzle brakes being used because while he is running next to/behind you during your competition run he is just getting blasted by it, but other than that, you are encouraged to use and wear anything you want to use. This is a great way to test your gear at "full speed" to see if it lives up to your ideas of reliability and functionality for how you think it would work during use. I see a lot of guys show up with their suped up rifle or tactical gear and find out after running it live, quickly and under pressure, that it doesn't work how they thought it would at all or that fancy rifle they have isn't working because of modifications they made or crappy ammo they use. In any case, I have found it an awesome way to have a good time and also test gear while being as competitive as you want to be. We see all skill levels (people who shoot competitively often and people who have never shot competitively before) at these events which have about 20-40 shooters typically. A person must have a adequate ability in firearm handling of their rifle and pistol and a thorough understanding of firearm safety otherwise they will not be able to participate, but generally, those people who are very new to either guns or to competitive shooting are just instructed to take their time, walk very slow and that seems to create a environment for success for them. On the flip side we have guys who are experienced run and shoot on the move while engaging targets. It is cool to see how everyone does it differently and maybe gleam ideas from the experience of others. Typically there are always some military guys there, some LEO's and of course just your extremely patriotic civilians who love to shoot too. Free for members and only $5 for active duty military or LEO's, $20 otherwise.

RFGC

The real operators carry they're shotshells upside down! So tactical! :D

I thought they kept one in their mouth like a cigar so they could spit it into their open chamber of their AOW 10 inch pump that they keep strapped to their thigh for Operating Operationally at Optimum Operator levels of tactical effectiveness.

I looked and looked again but none of my "Tactical gear" has any of those shotgun shells...:eek::D

Just kidding ... maybe its just like when you buy a large ruck ... you have all this space now and you just feel the need to fill it , even if you really have no use for those items...
Andy
\ DSC06034.jpg

I thought they kept one in their mouth like a cigar so they could spit it into their open chamber of their AOW 10 inch pump that they keep strapped to their thigh for Operating Operationally at Optimum Operator levels of tactical effectiveness.

I dunno man, I always carry my Bowie knife in my mouth. But that's just me!!! o_O

I used to keep the heavy, 12ga 3" #4Buck rounds upside down in my stock sock. A member here counseled me against doing that because he had seen upside down rounds fall out during running. That seemed more than reasonable to me, so I shifted to right side up and I'm all proud that I'm doing it right! Until, I thought "You couldn't run to the driveway, you fat, old, disabled, dick nard!!!":(

Last Edited:
Possible reasons:
  1. They sufffer erectile dysfunction, and those are their Rx pills of MyDixAFloppin'
  2. Lazy (that would be me).
  3. Sensible. My day pack, I pack for all possible scenarios - 2-3 laptops, tools, super glue, knives, first aid, spare batteries & USB power, space blanket, bungee & para cord, multiple ignition sources, etc. You get the idea. Though, if I reconfigure that gear, and take something out because I don't need it, I _always_ regret it at a later date. For example, yesterday, I always carry specific tools in my day pack, and didn't have them yesterday when I really needed them. Reason? I had taken everything out to do some repair on my pack, shifted most things over to a different one, then had to travel. The stuff I needed is still sitting in the organizer tub. Useless.

I disagree. I believe there is some validity to a pen being made out of solid aluminum/steel and being employed as a puncture weapon better than your average bic pen. But on the flip side, just because an item isn't labeled as "tactical" doesn't mean that it cannot be utilized in a "tactical" manner. For example, there is no such thing as a tactical stapler, but if I had the desire to and the situation warranted it I could use a stapler in a "tactical" method. I wouldn't want to be struck in the head with a nice metal swingline if I could avoid it.

I do agree that overall the word "tactical" is a marketing ploy to inflate prices for anything a seller wants to market.

Ultimately it the consumer who is responsible for discerning what is effective for them and what is hyped up marketing.

BTW - I don't favor a tactical pen, but there is such a thing as a nice 8 inch long polymer spike that gets through metal detectors without a problem and it has a nice sharp point for puncturing. They sell it on midwayusa for like $2 or something.

Any bad mofo knows that a SHTF scenario might involve liberating a 12ga from some hapless fool scrambling for the same vital resources. And then it would only have 3-6 rounds in the tube. So every camo bandolier should contain spare rounds of... everything.

Taking a quick break from my afternoon honeydew list. Time to rappel to the fridge and crack a tactical cold beer.

Last Edited:
I looked and looked again but none of my "Tactical gear" has any of those shotgun shells...:eek::D

Just kidding ... maybe its just like when you buy a large ruck ... you have all this space now and you just feel the need to fill it , even if you really have no use for those items...
Andy
\View attachment 377460
Come on Andy we all know your gear bag is basic survival hunting gear lol no need to mess it up with a plastic shotgun shell

"Tactical" lost all meaning when they started selling tactical pens.

Typed on my tactical computer using my tactical keyboard which is in
my tactical music room. You should see my tactical guitars.
Hey now I have one of those never know when you going to have to go Gross point blank on someone

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews