JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got this e-mail from Ron Wyden

(Dear Mr..............

Thank you for writing me about a proposed U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) rule change related to certain knives. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958 has limited the sale and distribution of knives with spring-assisted mechanisms across state borders since 1958. In June 2009, CBP announced its intention to reinterpret the federal rules governing enforcement of this law. Specifically, the CBP proposal would extend the law’s prohibitions on importation to include any knife that can be opened using one hand or has spring assistance -- including many utilitarian knives that are now traded legally.

I share your concerns about this proposal and the potential impacts it will have on law-abiding Oregonians and Oregon’s knife industry. I also believe that Washington should take the time to fully hear and properly address public concerns before moving forward with these types of changes. Because of this, I sent a letter to CBP urging an extension of the public comment period. When I did not receive a response from CBP, I chose to cosponsor an amendment to the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill to rewrite the Switchblade Act and exclude these knives from the definition of a switchblade. You may be pleased to know that the Senate adopted this amendment without objection. Please also know that I will continue to support efforts to protect knife owning Oregonians and our state’s knife industry.

Again, thank you for keeping me apprised of your views. If I can be of any further assistance to you on this or other issues, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,

Ron Wyden
United States Senator)

I would love to hear from a industry rep on the amendment and how it will affect their company's.

Bark

I don't trust Senator Wyden when it comes to these kinds of issues.

However, in fairness to him and his purported concerns about Oregon's knife industry, I would also like to hear from an industry spokesperson on their assessment of his Amendment.

If you manage to find industry comment, please share.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top