JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TBH, it's a meh for me, as I reload everything except the unreloadable .22LR, and I hardly ever shoot more than sixty rounds of any calibre centrefire in a single day. Like I mentioned before, I have large stock of .22 laid away for my purchase as and when, as I can only hold 1000rds of the stuff where I live and I have other stuff to store as well. I'm never out of any ammunition, BTW, and my largest calibre right now, .45-70 Govt uses home-cast bullets and a light nitro load.

My FAC says that I can have up to 700 rounds of each other centre-fire calibres I shoot - 6.5 Swedish, 7mm Mauser, 7.5 Swiss, .308 Win and .357 Mag - with our teeny hutches, WTH would I store it all?

A pal of mine in OR has a cellar-full of stockpiled ammunition - great if you feel the need, as he obviously does - just like many of you do, I'm sure. IIRC he has a lot of it in pre-loaded magazines - about four hundred each of AR, AK and Tavor - dunno about his handgun stuff, but he does have a few carbines in 9mm as well.

But if you haven't already figured it out, this place operates on a different set of rules, laws and regulations that, while seeming strange to you, are nothing out of the ordinary here.

And we put up with them or don't shoot at all.

tac

The gun laws you live under I fear is what the 'gun safety crowd' calls
"Reasonable Gun Laws". :eek::eek:
Your thread started about reloading the 7.5X55 Swiss. I started reloading the 7.5X55
for my K-31. Still learning a new caliber. Any help will be appreciated.
I used the 30 cal. 168 SMK and IMR 4064. I read online about the 7.5X55
uses 30 cal. bullets? Strange but they seem to work well? Is this correct? I love the
Gp-11 ammo beautiful barss. But NOT reloadable!o_O I have acquired some
Norma and Partizan Privi 7.5x55. Also I have used 284 Winchester
brass. It works works well.:rolleyes:

The gun laws you live under I fear is what the 'gun safety crowd' calls
"Reasonable Gun Laws". :eek::eek:
Your thread started about reloading the 7.5X55 Swiss. I started reloading the 7.5X55
for my K-31. Still learning a new caliber. Any help will be appreciated.
I used the 30 cal. 168 SMK and IMR 4064. I read online about the 7.5X55
uses 30 cal. bullets? Strange but they seem to work well? Is this correct? I love the
Gp-11 ammo beautiful barss. But NOT reloadable!o_O I have acquired some
Norma and Partizan Privi 7.5x55. Also I have used 284 Winchester
brass. It works works well.:rolleyes:

Mornin', Ron - hope your festivations are proceeding satisfactorily.

Just like to point out that IMO, the term 'reasonable gun laws' makes about as much sense as 'slightly pregnant'.

I guess that IMR4064 is a kind of suits-most powder, and I shoot it for my .308 Win loads under 155gr Lapua Scenar bullets. 7x57 Mauser is also a reasonable case for reloading, too.

However, THE definitive powder for the much larger capacity but lower pressure 7.5x55 case is Reloader17. Start at around 49gr and go up to 51gr, watching for signs of excessive pressure as you go up in 0.5gr increments. I settled on 50.5gr - nicely fills the case, too, which is what this cartridge likes. Normal warnings and cautions apply, assuming that your K31 is in good condition.

In spite of difficulties, many people of my acquaintance DO reload the excellent quality Swiss brass, after converting it to Boxer priming. .284 brass here is about as hard to find as you can imagine, and is the province of the F-TR shooters with their golden guns, not us plebs with our $90 Swiss items.

Tha MAIN problem with reloading the K31 is that pesky tight chamber, and the way too modern shape of that GP11 bullet. Only by shooting Berger VLD bullets will you actually match that long ogive, this allowing you to chamber an ordinary 175gr bullet to the correct OAL without it driving the bullet into the case as you load. The PPU bullets are the right shape, but are not up to snuff with the required precision - I've found that they can weigh in at anything from 172.5gr to 176gr - certainly not a match for the real deal. As you note, .30cal bullets suit it just fine, as indeed they should - 7.5mm is actually .2952796" - near enough for gubmint work. The GP11 bullet actually measures out at .307" - seems to work well, but time will tell...;)

Don't forget that the figure of 7.5mm actually describes the nominal bore diameter [NBD], and does NOT include the depths of the grooves. So just as the .308 Win is of a .300" NBD, so is the K31 and the '03 Springfield et al.

Best for the New Year!

tac

Last Edited:
Thanks Tac. I read about the problems with the tight K-31 chambers.
I tried the RCBS FL dies. I have reloaded about hundred rounds that
worked and shot well. I am going to have to try some Reloader 17.
My K-31 shoots real well. I could do a lot better if it had a rear aperture sight
with windage adjustment. Front sight pretty fuzzy with the notch rear sight.o_O

Swiss Products of Kallispel MT make a VERY fine diopter-type rear and front sight unit that is distributed in USA by Brownell's and Graf's dealerships.

Needless to say, I have one, but with the Gehmann infinitely variable [IV] iris at the back and IV aperture at the front. 'snot cheap though, although is IS a coupe of hundred $$$ less expensive that the Swiss item made by Wysse. By the time you've added the spiffy foresight unit it's about the same price as the basic Wysse model, which, until recently, did not go up to 1000m like the SP version did. More to the point, the SP version is fully sanctioned by the Swiss Federal Shooting Associations.

I use Lee dies, BTW - works in my K11 AND K31.

If you haven't already done, join swissrifles.com. Gives you direct access to all the real mavens on Swiss schtuff, with a good few in Switzerland. The youtube person, bloke on the range [always good watch] is also a poster there along with most of us on gunboards swissfirearms forum. My load, BTW, came from Milprileb on both fora.

tac

BTW - here's a couple of pics of the sight set-up. I leave the foresight unit on the gun all the time, as it is outside the sight plane of the scope when fitted.

upload_2016-12-26_23-29-31.png
upload_2016-12-26_23-30-10.png

This was the previous set-up -
upload_2016-12-26_23-32-3.png
upload_2016-12-26_23-32-41.png

As I noted before - Graf's and Brownell's are the US stockists, but be patient if they are out right now - these things are not churned out by the thousand in Hongpan.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top