JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Those of us who shoot Swiss schtuff and like the GP11 milsurp ammunition have a real problem here in yUK. It's called 'there ain't none'. Well, not zackly true, since there are two dealers in the entire yUK, including Norn Iron, who DO have some. Trouble is -

a. The nearest is around 100 miles away, and gas is $8.35/gal.

b. The stuff itself is $110.00/C.

c. Ammunition sales here in yUK are face-to-face only, as it has to be entered on your FAC by the vendor.

Regarding my homeloads, I've been futzing around for quite a while, not really getting anywhere fast. Some looked promising, but lied to me on the paper. Some were just nothing but flinging bullets - expensive items here for good stuff - downrange in a kind of desperation.

Until today.

With the absence of many of the familiar US-made propellants here in yUK and Yoorup, because they have some kind of hallucinogenic or cancerous content, I'm having to go back to good ol' Vihtavuori, and for a .308cal, indeed many .30cal, N140/50 seems to be the stuff. I started low, as one does, and gradually worked up to 47.5gr, under a 155gr Lapua Scenar bullet, of which I have around a thousand handy.

This was the result of five consecutive shots, with the temperature at around 34F, wind around 5mph and peeing rain -

upload_2017-12-17_19-34-50.png

The flyer was actually the first shot.

Here is the rifle I used -
upload_2017-12-17_19-42-25.png

The scope is a genuine steel El Paso Weaver [I collect them] 3 -9 zoom. This one came from the gun store on the left, set back off Highway 101, as you entrer Gold Beach OR. It cost me an even $25. Mounts are by Warne of Tualatin and the mount is from the boys over in Kallispel MT.

The K31 is a late 1944 beech stock with an arsenal-replaced op rod - there was a problem with the metallic composition on many in that build year, thankishly solved interim. The gun cost me a cup of coffee short of £80 back in 1989 - then that would have been around $150, but I did get 150 rounds of GP11 thrown in as a sweetener. I went back a week later and got the K11 for a tenner more. Both came with slings and muzzle covers - good, eh?

tac

On a side note, if you're looking for one there was a whole rack of Schmidt-Rubin rifles at Cabela's in Tualatin today. I didn't look too close in case one made it into my car, but there were both full and carbine length rifles; prices looked to be in the $450-550 range. I wouldn't mind owning one, but will have to save up some pennies.

Those of us who shoot Swiss schtuff and like the GP11 milsurp ammunition have a real problem here in yUK. It's called 'there ain't none'. Well, not zackly true, since there are two dealers in the entire yUK, including Norn Iron, who DO have some. Trouble is -

a. The nearest is around 100 miles away, and gas is $8.35/gal.

b. The stuff itself is $110.00/C.

c. Ammunition sales here in yUK are face-to-face only, as it has to be entered on your FAC by the vendor.

Regarding my homeloads, I've been futzing around for quite a while, not really getting anywhere fast. Some looked promising, but lied to me on the paper. Some were just nothing but flinging bullets - expensive items here for good stuff - downrange in a kind of desperation.

Until today.

With the absence of many of the familiar US-made propellants here in yUK and Yoorup, because they have some kind of hallucinogenic or cancerous content, I'm having to go back to good ol' Vihtavuori, and for a .308cal, indeed many .30cal, N140/50 seems to be the stuff. I started low, as one does, and gradually worked up to 47.5gr, under a 155gr Lapua Scenar bullet, of which I have around a thousand handy.

This was the result of five consecutive shots, with the temperature at around 34F, wind around 5mph and peeing rain -

View attachment 414108

The flyer was actually the first shot.

Here is the rifle I used -
View attachment 414110

The scope is a genuine steel El Paso Weaver [I collect them] 3 -9 zoom. This one came from the gun store on the left, set back off Highway 101, as you entrer Gold Beach OR. It cost me an even $25. Mounts are by Warne of Tualatin and the mount is from the boys over in Kallispel MT.

The K31 is a late 1944 beech stock with an arsenal-replaced op rod - there was a problem with the metallic composition on many in that build year, thankishly solved interim. The gun cost me a cup of coffee short of £80 back in 1989 - then that would have been around $150, but I did get 150 rounds of GP11 thrown in as a sweetener. I went back a week later and got the K11 for a tenner more. Both came with slings and muzzle covers - good, eh?

tac
That's a very nice K31 and some good shooting !
We have quite a candy store over here, eh ?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top