JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a Kimber Ultra II that kept having failure to fire issues due to lightly dented primers, and although I liked the gun I could not deal with the unreliability. I sold it to a gunsmith who said he could adjust the timing necessary to resolve the problem between the grip safety and the firing pin safety (the Swartz safety on all the series II Kimbers). He later told a friend that all he did was remove the rear sight and pull out the pin located under the sight that blocked the firing pin when the grip safety was not mashed all the way down, something my hand shape is not able to do reliably during timed & rapid fire drills.
Semper Fi

I would take out the rod that goes up thru the frame as well.

Of all the firing pin safety systems, the Swartz style has had the most timing problems, and that's not a good thing.

I don't care for any firing pin safety, the potential is there for the disaster...meaning 'click' when you want 'boom'

I would pull the safety system out if you want to keep the Kimber. Other than Kimber, you're going to be limited in what's available in 9mm without the firing pin safety system in a 1911 platform. Springfield, or an older Colt would be the only options I can think of at this time.

Am not sure who all puts the firing pin safety system in their guns. STI doesn't, not sure about Dan Wesson.. I know Springfield does not use any type of system either.

IIRC, I don't think you need to pull the sight off to remove it. If it's similar to the series 80 colts (I know it's technically a series 90) you should be able to remove the firing pin, and it will drop out the bottom once the pin is out.

Also, once you do this, you probably would want to disassemble the grip safety and remove the lifter so it doesn't ride on the slide, or cause binding (or shearing). Re-assembling the sear group on a 1911 is a daunting process the first time you do it, but once you figure out that the sear can only fit in there one way, it should go pretty quick after that (especially if you have 5 hands :).

I would take out the rod that goes up thru the frame as well.

Of all the firing pin safety systems, the Swartz style has had the most timing problems, and that's not a good thing.

I don't care for any firing pin safety, the potential is there for the disaster...meaning 'click' when you want 'boom'

I would pull the safety system out if you want to keep the Kimber. Other than Kimber, you're going to be limited in what's available in 9mm without the firing pin safety system in a 1911 platform. Springfield, or an older Colt would be the only options I can think of at this time.

Am not sure who all puts the firing pin safety system in their guns. STI doesn't, not sure about Dan Wesson.. I know Springfield does not use any type of system either.

Dan Wesson and Ruger do not use a FPS. (Thank God!)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top