JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a Lee Ram Swage so hoping that works out, but I had a thought looking at my RC2. I have the priming arm setup on it and was curious if anybody had ever thought about putting a swaging rod in place of the priming mechanism? Not sure it would be quite strong enough, but would be nice to be able to size, decap, and swage all at once.

By watching the video, it appears that the bottom piece slides into shell holder slot, which is on every single stage press. And I do like that you do not have to push the handle in really hard to release the shell like on the RCBS swaging set up.

By watching the video, it appears that the bottom piece slides into shell holder slot, which is on every single stage press. And I do like that you do not have to push the handle in really hard to release the shell like on the RCBS swaging set up.
With the Lee ram swage, yes. It looks pretty spiffy so for $50 I figured I'd give it a shot. It's spring loaded too so it would be damned hard to stick a case on the swaging rod.

My original post was more so if people might think the priming arm on a Rock Chucker could be modified to fit a swaging rod instead of the priming rod. It would be pretty slick to be able to size and then push the arm in and swage on the down stroke.

so if people might think the priming arm on a Rock Chucker could be modified to fit a swaging rod instead of the priming rod.
Given the design of the RC priming arm I do not believe it could be modified to provide the support needed to properly align with the case and to remain solid enough to properly swage the case.

It's obvious the bottom piece requires the 'solidity' of the shell holder slot (along with that of the ram) to function properly.

FWIW an easy way to modify crimped cases is to use a RCBS case deburring tool by sticking the 'flaring' end of the tool into the primer pocket and giving it a quick twist - crimp gone.

Last Edited:
Given the design of the RC priming arm I do not believe it could be modified to provide the support needed to properly align with the case and to remain solid enough to properly swage the case.

It's obvious the bottom piece requires the 'solidity' of the shell holder slot (along with that of the ram) to function properly.

FWIW an easy way to modify crimped cases is to use a RCBS case deburring tool by sticking the 'flaring' end of the tool into the primer pocket and giving it a quick twist - crimp gone.
That is fine when doing a low volume of cases. But if I'm going to prep .223 or .308, I'm doing hundreds of cases at a time so I'd prefer something a little easier on the hands with a mechanical advantage.

I'll more than likely end up just using the ram swage (assuming it works as well as it should) and get a rapid case kicker to speed up the process even more. It's fun to think up new ideas though. Whether they're good or not is a toss up.

Last Edited:
Best find another $50+ and buy yourself a serious swaging tool like a Dillon SS 600, well worth the price for mass swaging duty.
I have mine mounted on an in-line fabrications plate, I can use it then store it out-of-the-way

IMG_2936.jpeg

I have a Lee ram swage and once its set up and adjusted it works good. You can deprime, size and swage all on one press at the same time but it takes something like a Mark 7 or Dillon 1100. Both multi station progressives. On a single stage press the press in made to do one thing at a time, hence the name single stage. Before I got my progressives I'd set up my Rock Chucker to do one step do all of that step then change out the die/setup and do all of the next step, wash rinse and repeat.

It's fun to think up new ideas though. Whether they're good or not is a toss up.
I understand this well - as I often (like daily) think 'out of the box' with ideas for myself and friends as I am the local welder/machinist/Jury Rigger !

Here is one of my 'personal best' - using my lathe to chuck up my Lee case trimmer !

The trick is to chuck up the CUTTER and feed the cases onto it, as opposed to what Lee recommends which is to chuck up the case HOLDER and feed the cutter into the spinning case.

The difference being is with the cutter chucked up it can be left running throughout the case trimming process and it is much easier to to swap cases out of the shell holder in hand - especially if you machine a case holding handle to mount the Lee case holder - as I did!

IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1752.JPG

I have a Lee ram swage and once its set up and adjusted it works good. You can deprime, size and swage all on one press at the same time but it takes something like a Mark 7 or Dillon 1100. Both multi station progressives. On a single stage press the press in made to do one thing at a time, hence the name single stage. Before I got my progressives I'd set up my Rock Chucker to do one step do all of that step then change out the die/setup and do all of the next step, wash rinse and repeat.
I swapped the main die bushing out for an LnL bushing adapter to speed the process up for that exact reason. The Rapid Case Kicker looks pretty nifty too so I'll probably end up giving it a shot as well since it appears to work with all case sizes that fit into the press.
I understand this well - as I often (like daily) think 'out of the box' with ideas for myself and friends as I am the local welder/machinist/Jury Rigger !

Here is one of my 'personal best' - using my lathe to chuck up my Lee case trimmer !

The trick is to chuck up the CUTTER and feed the cases onto it, as opposed to what Lee recommends which is to chuck up the case HOLDER and feed the cutter into the spinning case.

The difference being is with the cutter chucked up it can be left running throughout the case trimming process and it is much easier to to swap cases out of the shell holder in hand - especially if you machine a case holding handle to mount the Lee case holder - as I did!

View attachment 1864124 View attachment 1864126
I was using the Lyman cutter and their instructions say the same thing. It never made any sense to me to have the case holder in the drill/motor. I chuck it up in my cordless drill and then run the case holder by hand. If I had a lathe, I'd probably end up with a setup like yours. Although the Giraud trimmer is sure appealing. I just have to do a lot more shooting and prepping brass to justify it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top