Suggested minimum/required tools for AR build..

Reactions
Question: What sort of "tools" would be recommended to have to complete a new AR build?

I know there are several "special" tools out there but I'm curious if anyone has a list of tools that one should definitely have on hand to put an AR together?

Are there other tools that aren't necessarily required but DO make the process easier and/or simpler than just the "typical" contents are a general purpose tool box?

I'll get whatever tools are needed... but I don't want to spend a ton of green rectangles on stuff that's not necessarily "required" for the build.

Last edited:
Reactions
Pin punches, roll pin holders (punches), barrel wrench multi tool. If installing barrel onto upper receiver...head space gauges, small hammer. Upper receiver vise block.

Reactions
Outstanding... thank you. Have or will have all of these once parts arrive. :s0155:

Would a person even need these if the rifle being ordered is a completed upper, and parts for completing a stripped lower? I cant imagine anyone would need any of those unless truly "building from scratch"

I am also under the impression that when you buy an completed upper.. its just that... Completed. Connect it to the lower and go shooting?

Reactions
You should definately get some sort of barrel vise jaws if you are going to be installing any muzzle device.Using an upper receiver block is not good, you can snap the locating pin on your barrel or hog out the notch in the upper receiver.

Reactions
I built mine using only a screw driver, multi-tool, and a vise.

I lightly tapped the roll pins with my Gerber until they sat tight enough to put in the vise. Worked just fine, but the end of the roll pins aren't completely flush. Should be mostly a cosmetic issue though, and I'm sure I can find a way to make them flush WITHOUT buying punches. If I put my upper together, I'd need a lot more specialized tools, I'm sure...but improvisation saves money :D

Also, advice for installing the takedown pin detents and springs: Put a towel over your head.

Seriously.

You don't need a fancy tool like AR15.com would have you believe... just grab yourself a Gerber and drape something over the work area to keep it from flying away if you lose your grip. It happened to me before I thought of the towel, and I was sure I would be buying new detents.

Reactions
I cut up an old plastic cutting board and used it to to keep the jaws of the bench vise from marking up the upper reciever.

Old drill bits can be ground down into punches for the small roll pins.

A standard pair of pliers with masking tape on the jaws comes in handy.

The only tool I have had to buy is the armorers tool.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom