JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question: What sort of "tools" would be recommended to have to complete a new AR build?

I know there are several "special" tools out there but I'm curious if anyone has a list of tools that one should definitely have on hand to put an AR together?

Are there other tools that aren't necessarily required but DO make the process easier and/or simpler than just the "typical" contents are a general purpose tool box?

I'll get whatever tools are needed... but I don't want to spend a ton of green rectangles on stuff that's not necessarily "required" for the build.

Last Edited:
Pin punches, roll pin holders (punches), barrel wrench multi tool. If installing barrel onto upper receiver...head space gauges, small hammer. Upper receiver vise block.

Outstanding... thank you. Have or will have all of these once parts arrive. :s0155:

Would a person even need these if the rifle being ordered is a completed upper, and parts for completing a stripped lower? I cant imagine anyone would need any of those unless truly "building from scratch"

I am also under the impression that when you buy an completed upper.. its just that... Completed. Connect it to the lower and go shooting?

So can someone suggest some good books that will help with assembling the AR family of rifles ?
I intend to build mine completely,no assembled anything unless done by me.
RK

You should definately get some sort of barrel vise jaws if you are going to be installing any muzzle device.Using an upper receiver block is not good, you can snap the locating pin on your barrel or hog out the notch in the upper receiver.

I built mine using only a screw driver, multi-tool, and a vise.

I lightly tapped the roll pins with my Gerber until they sat tight enough to put in the vise. Worked just fine, but the end of the roll pins aren't completely flush. Should be mostly a cosmetic issue though, and I'm sure I can find a way to make them flush WITHOUT buying punches. If I put my upper together, I'd need a lot more specialized tools, I'm sure...but improvisation saves money :D

Also, advice for installing the takedown pin detents and springs: Put a towel over your head.

Seriously.

You don't need a fancy tool like AR15.com would have you believe... just grab yourself a Gerber and drape something over the work area to keep it from flying away if you lose your grip. It happened to me before I thought of the towel, and I was sure I would be buying new detents.

I cut up an old plastic cutting board and used it to to keep the jaws of the bench vise from marking up the upper reciever.

Old drill bits can be ground down into punches for the small roll pins.

A standard pair of pliers with masking tape on the jaws comes in handy.

The only tool I have had to buy is the armorers tool.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top