JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want to stop in a couple of the pawn shops close to me and see IF they'll do these transfers, get a price and chat 'em up a bit. Everyone should do same so we can get some idea of what shops in different parts of the tri-county/state are willing/wanting to be part of this. It could mean more biz for them, it could also steer US away from the ones not willing to help us spend money in their stores.

A sticky thread would be a good idea, in LARGE BLACK LETTERS at the top of the forums. Joe/mods could confirm info provided by members and then put contact info in the stuck thread so it's not goobed up with a bunch of discussion.

Mike

I want to stop in a couple of the pawn shops close to me and see IF they'll do these transfers, get a price and chat 'em up a bit. Everyone should do same so we can get some idea of what shops in different parts of the tri-county/state are willing/wanting to be part of this. It could mean more biz for them, it could also steer US away from the ones not willing to help us spend money in their stores.

I would think it would be good practice to try and buy some merch anytime a transfer is done. Even a box of shells. So the shops see doing the transfer is good for business.

I met my dealer via GB referral list. He always did the transfers easy peezy, and led to me buying a gun from him. So he knows doing transfers are good for business.

I'm not affiliated with these guys , just passing on info for Salem shooters...........;)
323467b9-6455-4a4f-8a46-9d3ff0ec04db.png
Background Checks for Private-party gun transfers

Tritac provides background checks for any private-party firearm sale or transfer.

Love it or hate it, Oregon's private-party background check law goes into effect on Sunday, August 9th. Tritac will do these checks through the OR State Police portal for only $20 (in addition to the police fee of $10.) This is the same fee we charge for our gun sales.
Usually the process takes just a few minutes, but there have been times when the system is heavily used, and it can take 30 minutes or even longer.

We understand that many gun owners strongly oppose this law, but we wish to provide this service to those who choose to use it. For all of the law's flaws, it does have two positive benefits:
For the Seller: it protects your liability in case the gun is later used in a crime.
For the buyer: it ensures you that the gun you're purchasing is not stolen.

H&B pawn in Hillsboro told me they will not do transfers. They were also under the impression that 941 only applied to handguns, and they told me they refuse to sell handguns, and any handguns they take in they resell to other FFL's.

While I do not agree with 941 and contacted my state senators and representatives multiple times to tell them this, my shop in Sweet Home will do 941 transfers.

At the end of the day, my job is to take care of my customers. Just like I don't judge the person who chooses one brand of gun over another, I will not judge the person who decides to comply with this law.

My transfer fee is $20 plus the $10 fee to the state. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

If the opportunity should come to affect the political system in a manner that would lead to the revocation of this law, I will be as active as my family and business schedule allow me to be. I am a gun guy first and a gun shop owner second. I bought and sold and traded guns for 15 years before I had my license. It was one of the joys of firearms ownership. If I got bored, I simply traded to something new. I have missed that while having to run everything through my license, and if/when I let my license go, I will miss that due to 941...

PACIFIC PAWN & CASH

A relatively new pawn shop at 11146 NE Halsey will do private FFL transfers for $30.00 total.
Talk to David or Craig.

Mike

To add to the list for those that are keeping a list, a friend of mine did a trade last week. He used 99 Pawn on McLoughlin in Milwaukie. He said it took about 30 minutes. They charged $30 total with the BGC. Since it was a trade, it was $60 - the fees applied to both guns and both 'buyers' - two transfers, two BGC's. He paid his fee, the other guy paid for his own.

Good grief. $60 to do what we could do legally just a month ago for free. What a giant frickin' turd we got dropped on us. And we're here because the people of Oregon made the wrong choices, or worse, chose not to vote at all. 2016 elections aren't that far off. Keep these fees in mind when you choose who to vote for. Keep in mind the registration they're keeping on you and your personal property when you decide who to vote for. And remember what they said - this is just the "first step" - when you make your decision who to vote for in 2016. They will have been energized by their victory this year. You can darn well bet that if they still hold the majority come 2017, we will lose even more. What's next? Magazine restrictions? Waiting periods? Bans on certain types of weapons? Do we really want to be the next California?

I would think it would be good practice to try and buy some merch anytime a transfer is done. Even a box of shells. So the shops see doing the transfer is good for business.

I met my dealer via GB referral list. He always did the transfers easy peezy, and led to me buying a gun from him. So he knows doing transfers are good for business.
Until they up their price.. Which they'll do in time.. They all will. And it gets to the point to where we break the law, limit our purchases or file to have an amendment made that caps a price for Transfers and BGCs.

Okay, I ended up doing my first SB941 FFL sale this week. I have talked to several FFL's about private sales - to say they are largely confused about the process is an understatement. Seems everyone does it a little differently and currently, my preferred local home-based FFL isn't ready to do any until he gets some better clarification.

My buyer wanted to meet over on the west side, so we ended up going to Tigard Pawn. I've done online transfers with them before, but this is my first sale post 941, so it's a learning experience. They had told me on the phone to bring a color copy of my DL, front and back, with me, as the seller. Transfer fee with BGC is $25, same as for an incoming transfer.

Now, they hadn't really clearly explained the process over the phone, but here's how it went down. He asked the buyer to look over the gun first and see if he wanted it, which he did. The next part was weird because I asked if they would do the BGC first before taking it on the books. He said no, they don't do it that way. So, what he did was ask 2 questions of my buyer - have you ever been convicted of a felony, or do you have any reason to believe you are prohibited from owning a firearm. He said no. So, he had the buyer pay me right there and said I could go, at which point, the FFL said they were taking possession of the gun and would deal directly with my buyer from this point on. I paid the $25 fee and confirmed with the buyer that he was okay with this process, which he was (can't say I would have been as a buyer) and left.

Now, why didn't they do the BGC up front while we're both there? The simple reason was this - he said that the BGC's that day had been taking in excess of 90 minutes and that he was going to send the buyer off to run errands while it processes - he said there was no reason to tie us both up for that time. When I asked what happens if he gets a delay, he said they'd hold the gun for the delay period. When I asked what happens if he ultimately gets a denial, he said "it gets complicated" :confused:

I thought the whole process was weird and I'm not sure I want to use them again. What if the guy hadn't passed? Would I have been responsible to pay a reverse transfer fee and BGC on myself (he didn't answer that question for me)?

I don't know, this SB941 stuff is a big steaming pile of crap. The politicians don't know what's going on. The OSP can't function reliably and efficiently. The FFL's can't agree on what to do.

Honestly it was hardly worth the pain in the butt to even do this sale for a cheap old shotgun.

And I still can't believe the buyer was willing to pay me and let me go out the door before anything was finalized with the FFL. Maybe he was just as confused as I was and didn't want to pass on the deal. I don't know. But damn...

Okay, I ended up doing my first SB941 FFL sale this week. I have talked to several FFL's about private sales - to say they are largely confused about the process is an understatement. Seems everyone does it a little differently and currently, my preferred local home-based FFL isn't ready to do any until he gets some better clarification.

My buyer wanted to meet over on the west side, so we ended up going to Tigard Pawn. I've done online transfers with them before, but this is my first sale post 941, so it's a learning experience. They had told me on the phone to bring a color copy of my DL, front and back, with me, as the seller. Transfer fee with BGC is $25, same as for an incoming transfer.

Now, they hadn't really clearly explained the process over the phone, but here's how it went down. He asked the buyer to look over the gun first and see if he wanted it, which he did. The next part was weird because I asked if they would do the BGC first before taking it on the books. He said no, they don't do it that way. So, what he did was ask 2 questions of my buyer - have you ever been convicted of a felony, or do you have any reason to believe you are prohibited from owning a firearm. He said no. So, he had the buyer pay me right there and said I could go, at which point, the FFL said they were taking possession of the gun and would deal directly with my buyer from this point on. I paid the $25 fee and confirmed with the buyer that he was okay with this process, which he was (can't say I would have been as a buyer) and left.

Now, why didn't they do the BGC up front while we're both there? The simple reason was this - he said that the BGC's that day had been taking in excess of 90 minutes and that he was going to send the buyer off to run errands while it processes - he said there was no reason to tie us both up for that time. When I asked what happens if he gets a delay, he said they'd hold the gun for the delay period. When I asked what happens if he ultimately gets a denial, he said "it gets complicated" :confused:

I thought the whole process was weird and I'm not sure I want to use them again. What if the guy hadn't passed? Would I have been responsible to pay a reverse transfer fee and BGC on myself (he didn't answer that question for me)?

I don't know, this SB941 stuff is a big steaming pile of crap. The politicians don't know what's going on. The OSP can't function reliably and efficiently. The FFL's can't agree on what to do.

Honestly it was hardly worth the pain in the butt to even do this sale for a cheap old shotgun.

And I still can't believe the buyer was willing to pay me and let me go out the door before anything was finalized with the FFL. Maybe he was just as confused as I was and didn't want to pass on the deal. I don't know. But damn...

That transaction sounds screwed up from beginning to end.
Getting complicated upon a denial sounds like an understatement you were payed for it so you don't own it the shop has possession of it but did not pay for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top