JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This chap seem to have had good luck with the large pistol primers in rifle cases:

"I use LG pistol primers with cast bullets in the 30-06,7.62 x 39 308,8x57,7.62R,303Br,30-40,7.5 Swiss....you name it.Velocity is uniform with powders from BullsEye to 4759 .The last two years i shot over 15,000 of Federal 150's and Win LP in the 30-06 and 7.62 x 54 with neigh a problem with 16.0 2400,14.0 TrailBoss ,8.5-12g Unique and or 8.0 of B E and GC or plainbase bullets.No filler or orienting used.Velocities were never more than 1600 fps with my loads.Standard deviations are often single digit with the pistol primers.i have never had a misfire though the primers are deeper seated than LR primers.
With the current import Win brand 7.62 x 54 cases the LP primers are the ticket as the pockets are too shallow for most LR primers.

HMP"

Source: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...-primers-used-in-place-of-large-rifle-primers
And he is shooting much reduced loads. Myself I don't play that game. If I want something less powerful I use a smaller gun. All my rifles are zeroed for full power loads. I don't play the "gallery game" to save a few cents. And my time is more valuable than screwing with gallery loads.

And he is shooting much reduced loads. Myself I don't play that game. If I want something less powerful I use a smaller gun. All my rifles are zeroed for full power loads. I don't play the "gallery game" to save a few cents. And my time is more valuable than screwing with gallery loads.
I am looking at shooting reduced loads to save money on powder and allow me to fire my rifles at the TCGC silhouette range (pretty much limited to cast bullets in rifle cartridges with a couple of exceptions).

I am looking at shooting reduced loads to save money on powder and allow me to fire my rifles at the TCGC silhouette range
Completely understandable !

I only load a couple 'reduced' rounds (.357 & .30-30) and mostly for a more 'relaxing' shooting experience. Reduced report, recoil and less wear and tear on the gun and the option to use plated or lead bullets.

And the savings on a little less powder and bulk bullets don't hurt either!

This chap seem to have had good luck with the large pistol primers in rifle cases:

"I use LG pistol primers with cast bullets in the 30-06,7.62 x 39 308,8x57,7.62R,303Br,30-40,7.5 Swiss....you name it.Velocity is uniform with powders from BullsEye to 4759 .The last two years i shot over 15,000 of Federal 150's and Win LP in the 30-06 and 7.62 x 54 with neigh a problem with 16.0 2400,14.0 TrailBoss ,8.5-12g Unique and or 8.0 of B E and GC or plainbase bullets.No filler or orienting used.Velocities were never more than 1600 fps with my loads.Standard deviations are often single digit with the pistol primers.i have never had a misfire though the primers are deeper seated than LR primers.
With the current import Win brand 7.62 x 54 cases the LP primers are the ticket as the pockets are too shallow for most LR primers.

HMP"

Source: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...-primers-used-in-place-of-large-rifle-primers
Primers back out to meet the bolt face. There's no way they could withstand umpteen thousand pounds of pressure with just a small press fit.

I had forgotten my 303 British die set, so I had to improvise with the 303 loads. I started with new primed brass and I used the 30-30 seating die to seat the bullets. To test the pistol primer, I used a fired case. To decap it I used the 308 stem from my Lee 7.62x39 sizing die and the 7.62x39 shellholder flipped upside down. I set the fired case on the shellholder, stuck the stem inside the case and gave it a light whack with hammer. The spent primer popped right out. To install the pistol primer I pushed it in with finger just to get it started then used my press ram to set it the rest of the way. Because I didn't have a 303 shellholder, I couldn't use the lee priming arm and was only able to seat the primer flush with the case head. Even though the large pistol primer wasn't fully seated, it still went bang when I pulled the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top