JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stopped by a larger sporting goods store a couple days ago and couldn't help but check out the gun counter. I was fondling a handgun and wanted to take it down to check out machining quality. I was told no guns were allowed to be field stripped in store, not by customers or employees. I then asked how I was supposed to inspect the firearm before I make a purchase and the employee just shrugged his shoulders and said "I didn't make the rules". Unfortunately their rules just lost a customer. Just another reason to stick to the smaller local gun shops.

if i ever buy a gun from a sportsmans or cabelas i make sure its NOT the one out of the display. mainly for this reason. people mess with them and dry fire them a million times.if i want a new gun, i want a NEW gun. not one thats been in 1000 different peoples hands. :rolleyes:

the ONE time i went to NWarmory an employee was dry firing a glock like a mad man. pointing it every which direction racking the slide, dry fire, changing mags...wtf?!?

TBH, I've never heard of anybody taking a gun down to check if it's OK. What, exactly, are you looking for?
I hadn't had a chance to handle that particular brand of gun before. I wanted to see the quality of build, machining marks and general fit/finish of the gun.

I hadn't had a chance to handle that particular brand of gun before. I wanted to see the quality of build, machining marks and general fit/finish of the gun.
i know what youre sayin man. what if you were to get it home and something be jacked up. i have a friend that bought a cerakoted glock 19. the cerakote was done 3rd party and the gun was sold as new. never fired. some how, the tip of the striker got bent upon assembly or whatever and the gun wouldnt fire. had to replace the striker on a "brand new" gun.

I was in Fisherman's several years ago when a younger employee had a large flat blade screwdriver stuffed into the ejection port of a handgun. When I asked what he was up to I got the Holier than Thou answer that just made me shake my head. I notice that punk didn't last long...

I think there MIGHT be times when a 'minor' field strip is acceptable - such as with a used gun.
A local pawn shop has allowed me to partially strip down used guns I have been interested in but I would not ask to do it on a new gun unless I saw something that was clearly not right or possibly damaged or broken. Heck at that point I would probably stop looking at it altogether.

I could see where at a sporting goods store they may not trust the personnel to know how to take down guns. Indeed, at some LGSs they may not have that kind of trust in their personnel either. But there should be somebody there who can. It doesn't hurt to ask.

i know what youre sayin man. what if you were to get it home and something be jacked up. i have a friend that bought a cerakoted glock 19. the cerakote was done 3rd party and the gun was sold as new. never fired. some how, the tip of the striker got bent upon assembly or whatever and the gun wouldnt fire. had to replace the striker on a "brand new" gun.

Not what most of us would think of as a NEW gun if buba joe (the cerakote guy) has already been effing it up already.:rolleyes:

Now if it were a 1911 I could see the need to insect it, especially if it had not yet received its "idiot mark" from an amature inspector.:s0112:

Last Edited:
The gun I just bought from a big name store involved them getting pissy that I locked the slide back. I wasn't having any of his Bologna and went on fondling it as I pleased. Screw them and their rules, they can kick me out and I'll buy the exact same model somewhere else. If you're quick, you can field strip a lot of things to inspect before they even know what you're doing
:s0124:

I could see where at a sporting goods store they may not trust the personnel to know how to take down guns. Indeed, at some LGSs they may not have that kind of trust in their personnel either. But there should be somebody there who can. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I agree.... sporting goods employees rarely know anything beyond the price and the maker. The store really can't have customers taking firearms apart, maybe screwing something up, while some dodo watches them do it and doesn't know enough to prevent it, nor know how to fix it.

Hate to say this. But when I buy a supposedly new gun from a gun store I hate the fact that they have let even prior inspecting customers even handle and dry fire it. I would be even less happy to hear that they let customers field strip guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top