JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stopped by a larger sporting goods store a couple days ago and couldn't help but check out the gun counter. I was fondling a handgun and wanted to take it down to check out machining quality. I was told no guns were allowed to be field stripped in store, not by customers or employees. I then asked how I was supposed to inspect the firearm before I make a purchase and the employee just shrugged his shoulders and said "I didn't make the rules". Unfortunately their rules just lost a customer. Just another reason to stick to the smaller local gun shops.
Be my luck, a customer would decide to break down a Ruger Mark III and leave it for me to put back together...

I'll give you guys a little perspective from our side of the counter, we do not allow customers to take guns apart PERIOD! The reason we have the rule in place is to avoid any damage or extra wear to our firearms. We probably only get asked to take something apart 1 or two times for every 100 guns we sell. We've had customers come into the store, try to take a firearm apart and break or damage something and turn around and walk right out the door without even an apology. We also have had customers come in and ask us to take apart a bunch of guns just to satisfy their curiosity with no intention of buying one. It's also nearly impossible to know how to take apart every gun we have (over 1000) on command without 15-20 minutes of reading the manual or watching a youtube video, I don't know how to take apart every gun we have so its unreasonable for me to expect that of my employees.

The feedback we've gotten from customers is that the vast majority don't want a bunch of random people they don't know, who may or may not know what they're doing taking the guns apart on something they may buy. I would guess most of the members here have more knowledge than the average customer so while some people may actually know how to take a certain firearm apart a large portion of people have no idea how to do it.

On used firearms we will take them down to a reasonable level if one of the employees in the store knows how to do it or can figure it out quickly for you to inspect (I'm here 80-90% of the time we're open so I usually take care of it).

On new guns we will break them down and let you inspect them upon request while the background check is being run, if you find something you don't like with the firearm we can cancel the transaction and you can go on your way not out anything. We want our customers to know how to take their guns apart so we regularly break them down and show customers how to do it during the background check. Sometimes that involves us reading the manual or watching a youtube video if its not a gun the employee is familiar with.

Communication is key, tell the store straight up that you want to buy the firearm but have some concerns and a lot of times the rules will be bent or a good store will find a way to make the customer happy.

Especially with the internet these days. The total breakdown of any firearm can be observed in video format or potentially even at the manufactures website. If someone demands to perform it in a store, they can step into the 21st century and watch it performed online, without having to harangue stores to perform it. People don't buy cars asking them to be taken down to the frame and component parts....

I don't buy guns at cabelas or bass pro because of the trigger lock policy. If I can't feel the trigger and action prior to purchase: that's a deal breaker. Field stripping though...I would say that's a policy I would not let customers do. but if I were the gun counter person and I was intimately familiar with the firearm I would do it for them, but not allow them to do it themselves to prevent damage.

The biggest thing that sold me on my SR1911 was feeling that beautiful trigger. After pulling the hammer back and feeling that trigger, cycling the action...I was in love and whipped out my ID and CPL and handed them to the gun counter guy and told him to go get the transfer paperwork, cause this beauty is coming home with me!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top