JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WOW been going to all sorts of Gun shops and sporting goods stores since I was 11-12 I'm now 61. I have bought more then a few firearms through these kinds of sellers. I can't think of a single Handgun I ever thought about field stripping at the counter.
I have asked to field strip a few, USED guns, over the years at LGS & other. No one batted an eye.
I can only remember doing one of them, a CZ 75. Every other single one, they did the disassembly.
Once I didn't even need to ask, at BiMart of all places. I was looking at a SCCY. The clerk was telling me she had one, that it was a great gun, and proceeded to remove the slide to show me the internals. She made it look ridiculously easy.

If a customer at my LGS proceeded to strip a gun without asking, that violates the bounds of courtesy. Courtesy and respect are hallmarks of good gun owners and good people. Those who violate it would be asked to leave an never return.

Frankly, I would like to shake that guy's hand. I won't apologize for wanting to look closer at something I'm about to spend a week's pay on and the staff should be understanding of that, as well as better trained on what they're selling to better help the customers. Take only a couple minutes to read a manual and I know I've seen employees jaw jacking longer than that

Big box store min wage employees. :rolleyes:

I once applied at a KMart for something to do while I was wintering. Retired with 50yrs in electronics. I wanted to work in the, guess what, electronics section, but they offered me a job in housewares... I guess I knew too much??? Didn't take the job.

I wouldn't spend my money for a new gun that the store has let people strip down and play with. I want new in box that others haven't played with or I can go elsewhere. Used you spend your money and take your chances, new means new.

When I bought new firearms in the past, from places like BiMart, Coast to Coast, Ace Hardware, the clerk always goes into the back and gets a NIB firearm out. I didn't realize there are places that sell you a "new" gun out of the display case. Nope, not buying it!!!

So is that a good thing or a bad thing then? Not sure where you are going with your comment.
With hundreds of millions of guns here in the US, something must be working right. Manufacturers test fire guns before they leave the factory. We have market driven industry standards that ensure quality and not some ministry telling us how to live our lives and buy our guns. So far, it seems to be working here. If there's a problem with a new purchase, we send it back to the manufacturer and they take care of it. If they don't, they are not likely to remain in business. In the US, raw numbers drive quality control.

You dog! I had the same thoughts and didn't say anything! You're such a troublemaker!!!

Free market works, and it's always better for us here in the U.S. than gov control would be. But hey, everything in Europe is better... just ask them. Wait, no, don't... too late...

Ah well... The Guild has spoken. I know nothing about proofs on guns, don't want to know, don't care. I don't buy expensive guns, antiques, German guns, Afrikaner guns, whatever. Give me a factory made Ruger and call it good enough. Now hold my beer and watch this!!!

Bravo, well said. Pip pip.

You're killin me!

On this Memorial Day... God Bless Argonaut, he sure loved his Euro guns. You are sorely missed my friend!!!

Last Edited:
The gun I just bought from a big name store involved them getting pissy that I locked the slide back. I wasn't having any of his Bologna and went on fondling it as I pleased. Screw them and their rules, they can kick me out and I'll buy the exact same model somewhere else. If you're quick, you can field strip a lot of things to inspect before they even know what you're doing
:s0124:
To be fair here, locking the slide back is not field stripping and a rule against that seems unreasonable. I've never not locked the slide back on anything that had one. I also pull the trigger (with other hand in the way of the hammer so it doesn't slam shut). If it doesn't have a hammer, I ask if I can dry fire to feel the trigger, sometimes causing a search for snapcaps behind the counter and sometimes not. I put the mag in (if it has one) and drop it out. Open the cylinder or rotate the cylinder while using the ejector rod. I'll operate the slide release (with my hand on the slide so it doesn't slam). But all of those things are just normal lookyloo stuff -- field stripping at the counter isn't (at least in my opinion), although I have asked a gun counter worker to remove the bolt on bolt action rifles (nobody ever refused that request).

I must be the totally odd ball in this batch.

I'll compare two or three of the exact gun before deciding which one of them looks or feels better than the other. Yes, manufacturers stride to make their whiskey taste the same each batch, but that doesn't mean each batch is the same. This also doesn't mean that each batch was made using the same ingredients or portions. Analogy aside, I've seen hard core brands make it to store shelves missing parts. I've seen idiots behind the counter do really dumb things to really nice guns.

With all that said, it's not mine until it is mine. Until then it is the stores or the other persons. Therefore I'll continue to inspect the property I wish to buy, BEFORE I buy it. If it doesn't meet my expectations, no deal. I've walked on a bolt action ruger because of rust in the trigger mech area, after removing the bolt and actually getting the store to remove the stock as I wanted to ensure the visible rust did not go further past that point. It did, and I didn't buy the gun. They sent it back to Ruger. I would have had to if I bought it.

So yes, I vote inspect, beyond all means inspect the item of whatever nature before purchasing.

Does this mean the next person might get a gun that's been taken apart and reassembled. Or dry fired a bunch. Perhaps, but hopefully they inspect it to their liking and make a decision based on that.

If not, I'd love to hear the logic used for other things, like cars, or a home.

I could understand the European side of this. It sounds really nice to have an oversight type system in place. Hard to compare that to the US though. We get to have tons and tons of options based on the freedoms of not having such scrutiny placed on the market. I think that says a lot in itself for our country. If I was to go through the process of owning a gun over seas, I wouldn't feel too horrible knowing that the manufacturer went through the proper legal means to ensure my gun didn't need inspection. Though, I'd still probably inspect it! :)

not uncommon. I would not want just anybody tearing my guns apart.
They also get: "ooops" where did that go, here you put it back together.
Lots of problems here with customers taking guns apart.

I'll give you guys a little perspective from our side of the counter, we do not allow customers to take guns apart PERIOD! The reason we have the rule in place is to avoid any damage or extra wear to our firearms. We probably only get asked to take something apart 1 or two times for every 100 guns we sell. We've had customers come into the store, try to take a firearm apart and break or damage something and turn around and walk right out the door without even an apology. We also have had customers come in and ask us to take apart a bunch of guns just to satisfy their curiosity with no intention of buying one. It's also nearly impossible to know how to take apart every gun we have (over 1000) on command without 15-20 minutes of reading the manual or watching a youtube video, I don't know how to take apart every gun we have so its unreasonable for me to expect that of my employees.

The feedback we've gotten from customers is that the vast majority don't want a bunch of random people they don't know, who may or may not know what they're doing taking the guns apart on something they may buy. I would guess most of the members here have more knowledge than the average customer so while some people may actually know how to take a certain firearm apart a large portion of people have no idea how to do it.

On used firearms we will take them down to a reasonable level if one of the employees in the store knows how to do it or can figure it out quickly for you to inspect (I'm here 80-90% of the time we're open so I usually take care of it).

On new guns we will break them down and let you inspect them upon request while the background check is being run, if you find something you don't like with the firearm we can cancel the transaction and you can go on your way not out anything. We want our customers to know how to take their guns apart so we regularly break them down and show customers how to do it during the background check. Sometimes that involves us reading the manual or watching a youtube video if its not a gun the employee is familiar with.

Communication is key, tell the store straight up that you want to buy the firearm but have some concerns and a lot of times the rules will be bent or a good store will find a way to make the customer happy.

I'll give you guys a little perspective from our side of the counter, we do not allow customers to take guns apart PERIOD! The reason we have the rule in place is to avoid any damage or extra wear to our firearms. We probably only get asked to take something apart 1 or two times for every 100 guns we sell. We've had customers come into the store, try to take a firearm apart and break or damage something and turn around and walk right out the door without even an apology. We also have had customers come in and ask us to take apart a bunch of guns just to satisfy their curiosity with no intention of buying one. It's also nearly impossible to know how to take apart every gun we have (over 1000) on command without 15-20 minutes of reading the manual or watching a youtube video, I don't know how to take apart every gun we have so its unreasonable for me to expect that of my employees.

The feedback we've gotten from customers is that the vast majority don't want a bunch of random people they don't know, who may or may not know what they're doing taking the guns apart on something they may buy. I would guess most of the members here have more knowledge than the average customer so while some people may actually know how to take a certain firearm apart a large portion of people have no idea how to do it.

On used firearms we will take them down to a reasonable level if one of the employees in the store knows how to do it or can figure it out quickly for you to inspect (I'm here 80-90% of the time we're open so I usually take care of it).

On new guns we will break them down and let you inspect them upon request while the background check is being run, if you find something you don't like with the firearm we can cancel the transaction and you can go on your way not out anything. We want our customers to know how to take their guns apart so we regularly break them down and show customers how to do it during the background check. Sometimes that involves us reading the manual or watching a youtube video if its not a gun the employee is familiar with.

Communication is key, tell the store straight up that you want to buy the firearm but have some concerns and a lot of times the rules will be bent or a good store will find a way to make the customer happy.
Good post. Good input.

I'll add to my original post.

I inspect with the intention to buy.

I only window shop if I'm not looking to buy.

LOL
I'm on the gun store's side on this. I saw a knothead strip a 1911 He held the barrel up high to look through it at the light. When he twirls it to look though it the other way, he dropped it, badly cracking the glass counter top.
For every one guy who can competently strip and reassemble a pistol, there's 5 who are complete idiots that shouldn't be allowed to handle any gun they haven't paid for in full.

A no trigger pull policy.
Bimart expects you to purchase a pistol and not even know what the trigger pull feels like.. really irritated me.
Went to sportmans instead.

Bass Pro back in San Jose would hand you any firearm with a big trigger lock installed. An d no, they would not take the lock off to let you test the trigger. SMH

Bass Pro back in San Jose would hand you any firearm with a big trigger lock installed. An d no, they would not take the lock off to let you test the trigger. SMH

I won't buy from Cabela's for this very reason. Also for the reason that their prices are so much more expensive than even mom and pop shops. Just the other day I went to the Tualatin Cabelas and saw they were selling a used EAA Windicator for $299. Buds gun shop sells the same gun new for $284.

I'll add that when I ask to see a firearm, I'm intending to purchase it. If the guy behind the counter hands one to me just because (odd how often that happens when your're a regular) , I'll probably hold it a little but that's it. If it's a used gun, I'm absolutely gonna go as far into it as I can get away with because a couple times now I've seen chunks and gouges, or just flat out worn out parts I didn't expect. I'm not paying hundreds or thousands to inherit a problem. I'm buying used for 3 reasons: they don't make it, I can't find it, it's a great deal. If I buy from an individual on this site, however; I just buy the thing. I got the pictures/info I wanted before I met them and I usually meet people halfway which means an hour drive for each of us. I'm not gonna be a dick and walk away after we both put in an effort.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top