JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
G'day. Just stumbled across the forum and being always keen to learn about the activities of other people with the same interests I decided to browse a few of the threads. Liked what I read so decided to join in and hopefully make some new friends across the pond. Not much to say about myself as I am a pretty boring sort of bloke. Love clay pigeon shooting and hunting wild dogs and hogs as well as some of the tasty feathered things that end up in the pies I make. We have a vastly different hunting scene here in Australia so I would appreciate reading as much as possible about how you ladies and gentlemen hunt, what loads you find most suited to what game and of course how you present the game you take for the table. If you are interested I can talk about how I prepare the game I take here, I love eating and over the years I have learned a trick or two in how to serve up delicious game based meals.

Welcome to NWFA. Glad you found it.

I'd like to read about some of your recipes. Of course with pictures too.

:s0059:
Wow, do you mean I will have to learn how to take pictures as well? I can do that, but I am a slow learner. I will post some recipes for things like Kangaroo tail and Hare Ragout, a bit of wild pig and of course rabbit and pigeon pie. I will also see if I can make head and tail from some of the fabulous game meat meals my Chinese wife prepares as they add a whole different dimension to using what I harvest. Looking forward to it.

Are you sure? We have Bear, Cougar, Dear, Elk, Coyote and wolves here.

Nothing with a pouch except maybe possum's. :D
Yes, I am sure. We have bear (Koala), feral cats as big as cougars (I have measured them and from nose to rectum they have been up to 48" long), deer now abound in Oz, we do not have Elk, but we do have these big Asian Buffalo (not Bison though) and our wild dogs (Dingos) here are sort of like a cross between a wolf and a coyote. They will hunt in packs, they don't bark, rather howl and only bred once a year. So pretty similar world apart from the evolutionary differences. As for the pouched stuff, lots of them but no real sport in them, good eating though.

Welcome to NWFA. Glad you found it.

I'd like to read about some of your recipes. Of course with pictures too.

:s0059:
Here's a nice easy one to start with.
Hot cakes.
A couple of cups of self raising flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of butter, sufficient water to form dough (the amount of water will depend on the flour as it can vary).
Place dry ingredients in a bowl, rub in the butter to form a crumbly mix, slowly add water until mix is to your liking.
Let the dough stand in a warm spot for 30 min.
Tip dough onto floured board and gently press to about 1/2" thick.
Take cookie cutter and cut out circles of dough, about 1 dozen from this mix.
Cover the dough to prevent drying (use a wet tea towel) and let stand for 30 minutes.
In a skillet put in some butter and some olive oil, bring it to a temperature just below where the oils smoke.
Place the hot cakes in the oil with enough clearance so they do not join together with cooking, when lightly brown on the down side turn them over and brown the other side.
Serve hot with any dish, or serve cold with jam, syrup, vegemite or honey.
P1000144.JPG

Jefferson is a proposed state that combines part of Northern California and part of Southern Oregon to become a new state. The reason is that these areas comprise mostly rural areas and rural folks, but both states are dominated politically by the large population centers which have a decidedly larger tax base and a much more liberal philosophy.
That results in a tremendous disparity in quality of life for more liberty and independent minded people.

In reality I don't expect it to happen, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. ;)

P.S. The State of Jefferson has an interesting history. The idea was just getting off the ground in the 1940's when it was knocked out of the papers by the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was a semi-serious movement so who knows what might have happened.

Greeting from Roseburg area, this forum is easy to find on a map from you go due north then make a sharp right after California. If you turn too soon you will be making a Left at California :eek::rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews