JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon Caves National Park

Actually, it's a National Monument.

OCNM is a pretty good show cave given what they have to work with. As someone else noted, the Chalet is pretty cool. The loop trails outside the cave are really nice (be sure to leave enough daylight to complete them). A Bigfoot was even sighted relatively recently along one of the trails...

Other things to do:

Portland area
==========
Old gorge scenic highway w/waterfalls
Multnomah Falls
Crown Point
Oregon Zoo
Oregon Museum of Science & Industry
Beacon Rock (just across the river in Washington). Nice hike to top & views.
Mt. Hood
Mt. St. Helens in Washington

Near Salem
Silver Creek Falls State Park - Short to long loop trails w/lots of waterfalls
Evergreen Air & Space Museum

Bend Area
========
Pilot Butte
Lava Butte
Lava River Cave State Park
Lava Lands
Crack in the Ground
Lost Forest
Fort Rock
Over-the-horizon backscatter radar site (near Lost Forest)

Southern Oregon
=============
Oregon Vortex House of Mystery (you might be disappointed!)
Crater Lake National Park
Oregon Caves National Monument
Trees of Mystery
Redwoods near Brookings, or go a short way into California to Redwoods NP
Rogue River Jet Boats

Others mentioned good coast places.

There are many others...

There's also a big air museum near Tillamook IIRC that's home/was home to the Spruce Goose/Moose(?)...whatever Howard Hughes giant plane was. It's well worth a visit.

There IS an air museum near Tillamook. Mostly old warbirds, it's in an old
blimp hanger. Just the building is worth a look.

That's NOT the spruce goose museum. That's the Evergreen Air and Space museum in McMinnville. About an hour inland from Lincoln City. If you go, plan on a day there.

What part of Oregon are you going to, and what are your interests?

So my GF and I are gonna celebrate our 1 yr anniversary by checkin out the Oregon coast but dont really want to deal with all the stupid tourists and college kids on spring break.
So where are some cool places to go? The only place I want to make it to is the Vortex where the magnetic field is all weird. The GF wants to see some beaches and ocean.
Are there any old forts or cool stuff along those lines?
Gonna be going in the 2nd weekend in April.

Stupid tourists? What makes you any different from anyone else who visits the coast?

Some of us here on the coast actually like tourists.

And personally, I'd go to Sea Lion Caves. You have to see it to believe it!

Cannon Beach; Bill's Brew Pub downtown, Chili Cheeseburger with a brew. Then walk on the beach later to enjoy the breeze.
Strawberry Hill Wayside; head North on the basalt headland, look for a cave midway towards Neptune State Park. Ya might find an agate worth keeping...
Oh also at Cape Perpetua stop at Cook's Chasm(south end) esp. if it's storming or huge swells.

Stupid tourists? What makes you any different from anyone else who visits the coast?

Some of us here on the coast actually like tourists.

And personally, I'd go to Sea Lion Caves. You have to see it to believe it!

I work up in the bars in Leavenworth, WA and I hate tourists, so I assumed most people who live in tourist spots feel the same

Pacific City, if you hate the touristy spots.
Hit the Pelican Brewery in PC for a few pints of their seasonal stuff, grabbing some bottled brew on the way out. Head north just a click or two then drive down on the beach...bring firewood & keep a tide table handy (available at the little market across from the brewery for free--where you should also pick up some smoked salmon {OMFG good} and a dozen oysters to throw in the fire whilst you drink the beer on the beach. The place is nearly deserted by most standards.
Now that I think about it, don't go there...I need to keep my spot a secret! :)
Paradise IMO

Don't forget about the Tillamook Cheese factory in Tillamook. I practically live off their cheese.

There's also a big air museum near Tillamook IIRC that's home/was home to the Spruce Goose/Moose(?)...whatever Howard Hughes giant plane was. It's well worth a visit.

Obviously the coast has great scenery, lots of hiking, etc, but the south coast (Bandon to Brookings) is by far the best in Oregon, and only parts of the CA coast rival it.

You're not going to avoid tourists anywhere on the OR coast, but the northern part is by far the most congested, plus, it also has an abundance of yuppies, old people, and Portlanders.

If you make it to Coos Bay or Reedsport, you can get a first hand look at our legendary poverty. Aside from Eureka, CA, there's not another coastal town in the entire US that has a higher per capita of panhandlers, tweakers, unemployed loggers, punk kids, and scumbags than Coos Bay does. It's the armpit of the world. There is a super walmart there though...which is the best thing about it.

Gold Beach has jet boat tours that run up the Rogue River, which is about as scenic and awesome as you could possibly ask for.

Astoria has a big bridge, bad traffic, a reasonably interesting museum, and the Astoria Column.

Brookings is home to the tallest bridge in Oregon...and also a lot of snobby people.

If you're not content with just taking in the beauty of the coast itself, then those are about the best things going on down here.

I'm no expert on Coos Bay /North Bend but did not find the poor white trash quotient any higher there than Albany, Springfield, Grants Pass.... it is not Bend.....Bandon.... Lake Oswego.... Ashland... Sadly... the lib towns (Blue) towns have the best education... restauants... schools...

but only funded by people with $$$$$$ TRAVELLING TO THEM........... .

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews