JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was hunting deer on a ridge in Eastern Washington a good number of years ago. It was pretty much rolling hills with 30-40 foot pine trees. I came upon a solitary rock that was basically round ish and a good 40 feet in diameter. No rocks bigger than a foot anywhere around it. Coyotes or something had dug a den deep under one side of it. Weird.

Probably an "erratic" a boulder left by a glacier thousands of years ago. Could be part of Canada!
I was hunting deer on a ridge in Eastern Washington a good number of years ago. It was pretty much rolling hills with 30-40 foot pine trees. I came upon a solitary rock that was basically round ish and a good 40 feet in diameter. No rocks bigger than a foot anywhere around it. Coyotes or something had dug a den deep under one side of it. Weird.

Once way back in about 1985 I was fly fishing by myself at North Mathieu Lake in the Three Sisters Wilderness area. I was the only person there standing about 20 feet out in the lake when a young girl with a huge backpack showed up on the other side of the lake. It's only about a 5 acre lake, very clear and pretty. She stood on this rock outcrop and dropped her pack, took off her boots, and then everything else and jumped in. She swam around for awhile, never paid any attention to me, got out, dried off, put her stuff back on and hiked on down the trail. It was actually kind of weird.

Must have been 1981... I was with my high school girlfriends dad and her neighbor (A St. Helens Oregon Policeman) just outside Vernonia deer hunting. We were in a clear cut area and decided to walk through a stand of timber to see if we could scare up a nice buck. This stand of trees was maybe 100 yards wide and 3-400 yards long.

Midway through the trees we came across a clearing. In that clearing, up on blocks, was a nearly new Chevy Silverado. No way in or out of there for anything larger than a dirt bike. The front and rear suspensions had been cut out with a torch. Nothing remained but a shell. At the time it had been a very high end pick up.

Anyway, the police officer we were with took down the VIN number and reported it that evening.

Turns out there were a rash of stolen vehicles in the area. The police figure one of the helicopter logging companies in the area was involved. They'd cut a clearing and then drop the stolen vehicle in for stripping.

As a side note.. I won't mention names, but I recently looked up that Policeman on google. I found mugshots of him. He was arrested in 2012 in southern Oregon and convicted of Burglary. People change sometimes....

Must have been 1981... I was with my high school girlfriends dad and her neighbor (A St. Helens Oregon Policeman) just outside Vernonia deer hunting. We were in a clear cut area and decided to walk through a stand of timber to see if we could scare up a nice buck. This stand of trees was maybe 100 yards wide and 3-400 yards long.

Midway through the trees we came across a clearing. In that clearing, up on blocks, was a nearly new Chevy Silverado. No way in or out of there for anything larger than a dirt bike. The front and rear suspensions had been cut out with a torch. Nothing remained but a shell. At the time it had been a very high end pick up.

Anyway, the police officer we were with took down the VIN number and reported it that evening.

Turns out there were a rash of stolen vehicles in the area. The police figure one of the helicopter logging companies in the area was involved. They'd cut a clearing and then drop the stolen vehicle in for stripping.

As a side note.. I won't mention names, but I recently looked up that Policeman on google. I found mugshots of him. He was arrested in 2012 in southern Oregon and convicted of Burglary. People change sometimes....

Boy, those guys were some rocket scientists! As if the truck was ever found (and apparently it was) it wouldn't be easy to assume a chopper was used to get it there. I wonder how many choppers and chopper pilots were working that area during that time line? Would have been a short list I would guess.

Great story!

Once way back in about 1985 I was fly fishing by myself at North Mathieu Lake in the Three Sisters Wilderness area. I was the only person there standing about 20 feet out in the lake when a young girl with a huge backpack showed up on the other side of the lake. It's only about a 5 acre lake, very clear and pretty. She stood on this rock outcrop and dropped her pack, took off her boots, and then everything else and jumped in. She swam around for awhile, never paid any attention to me, got out, dried off, put her stuff back on and hiked on down the trail. It was actually kind of weird.

If that's weird, I want to live the weirdest life possible!

....I need to take up fly fishing.

My Ruger P85 was stolen in Stockon Ca. Police later recovered it in a drug bust.

They shipped it to Clackamas County Sheriff's and I went in and picked it up.

So hold out hope for that 25 20 it does happen.

I would be nice to hear from anyone who has had guns returned from an LE agency after similar situations. I have had two experiences in my life with this and they both resulted in no returns.

I have never posted on this site before but, I have a story for " strange things found in the woods".
This September while archery elk hunting on the SW Washington coast a hunting partner had hit a cow elk and radioed for some help. He was already in the woods for over an hour before I got to him and I knew approximately where he was. I found his markers and then started tracking my way to him. As I was walking and following a blood trail I look up in front of me about 20 yds and I see something sticking out of a old cedar blow down. Instantly my mind registered that it looked like a old red butt pad from a rifle. I walked up to it and gave it a light tug. It came loose and, sure enough it was the butt stock of a rifle. It had broken (rotted actually) at the back of the reciever. So I got on my knees and started digging a little to find the other half of the rifle. As I dug a little I got into an old black garbage bag and kept digging. I couldn't believe what I had found, an entire collection of weapons. These things were buried down through a creek bottom and over a half mile from the nearest road. Under that log was 3 long rifles, all of them scoped, 1 pump shotgun, and 1 very old Winchester lever gun with a saddle ring and, 1 old wheel gun. All of them were incredibly rusted and most of the wood was rotten except the Winchester. It was an old octogon barrel in 25-20.

I marked the location of them and continued on. When I got back to them I put all of them in my pack except the shotgun and hauled them back to camp. On my go home day I called the Sheriff. They came up to camp, took a report and took them away. I checked in with them about 3 weeks later. The weapons had been stolen in a home robbery in the 90's and the victim was "since deceased" I was told and no next of kin was listed to contact.

One of the best stories I've ever heard.

rifles_zpse80957e4.jpg

Donovan sang something about God playing with marbles.. maybe you found one! :p

We were out cutting wood, when I was about 12.
I found an old case of soggy dynamite and carried it to show my dad.

In his own loving way, he said "Take that SOB back where you found it".

Not, "Be careful, son".

I had nearly the same experience up at Scout lake by Mt Jeff, only it was some old fat dude standing on a rock by the lake. Not nearly so sublime.

My Ruger P85 was stolen in Stockon Ca. Police later recovered it in a drug bust.

They shipped it to Clackamas County Sheriff's and I went in and picked it up.

So hold out hope for that 25 20 it does happen.

Way back in 1990 or so my house in Stockton, CA was burglarized. They caught the thief before he was able to leave because my alert neighbor called to report someone looking into the windows and looking suspicious. They found a couple dozen other guns at the guy's apartment and notified me and everyone else who'd recently reported guns stolen to come down to the station and reclaim our guns. I got all mine back, but all the semi-auto pistols were missing their magazines, including my 1903 Colt .32 pocket with the original factory magazine. I've never figured out why that was. I bought some aftermarket magazines to make them operable, and recently acquired a factory original 1903 Colt .32 Auto magazine for ONLY $150 (check eBay if you think that's expensive).

Way back in 1990 or so my house in Stockton, CA was burglarized. They caught the thief before he was able to leave because my alert neighbor called to report someone looking into the windows and looking suspicious. They found a couple dozen other guns at the guy's apartment and notified me and everyone else who'd recently reported guns stolen to come down to the station and reclaim our guns. I got all mine back, but all the semi-auto pistols were missing their magazines, including my 1903 Colt .32 pocket with the original factory magazine. I've never figured out why that was. I bought some aftermarket magazines to make them operable, and recently acquired a factory original 1903 Colt .32 Auto magazine for ONLY $150 (check eBay if you think that's expensive).
that would just make a guy mad! my brother had a S&W 9mm stolen, got it back from the San Bernardino Sheriffs 5 years later. Lots of wear but it still had the magazine!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top