JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my neighbor finally bought a 10/22 to control his varmints 2 weeks ago..first gun he owned. Then his high school kid makes a "threat" at school. Of course, school went nuts with it, kid is picked up, and the father is a mess. He calls to ask me if I could store his gun per the resource officers request. (at 10 pm so not able to play the transfer game regardless)

SO..I told him no, because of the screwed up Oregon laws I was not sure. Willing to go down and play the transfer game if he needs. But is there any legal way to store his gun (I own 3 10/22s so it wouldn't be lonely) in my safe?

And if not, how about storing the trigger group and he keeps the serial numbered parts? At least then it is nonfunctional.

Ps, I emailed ceasefireoregon for advice, I will post any replies I get. Should be a hoot.

I suggest that you tell your neighbor to store it somewhere he can put a lock on it, and only he has the key or combination, such as a safe or in a locked cabinet or locked gun case. If he doesn't have access to these type of secure storage areas, he can probably go to a gun store and buy a trigger lock mechanism...problem solved. The point being that he has the firearm secure and he is the only one who has the key.

Last Edited:
So my neighbor finally bought a 10/22 to control his varmints 2 weeks ago..first gun he owned. Then his high school kid makes a "threat" at school. Of course, school went nuts with it, kid is picked up, and the father is a mess. He calls to ask me if I could store his gun per the resource officers request. (at 10 pm so not able to play the transfer game regardless)

SO..I told him no, because of the screwed up Oregon laws I was not sure. Willing to go down and play the transfer game if he needs. But is there any legal way to store his gun (I own 3 10/22s so it wouldn't be lonely) in my safe?

And if not, how about storing the trigger group and he keeps the serial numbered parts? At least then it is nonfunctional.

Ps, I emailed ceasefireoregon for advice, I will post any replies I get. Should be a hoot.

Non serialized parts can be bought on the internet with a credit card so I'd say that's not a great idea.

They DO have self storage vaults for people with a ton of money and now guns then they can keep at home but honestly for a .22 I would just play the transfer game - he can drive it up here and save you $10 for the OSP background check.

I wouldn't want to get caught holding it and risks your gun rights for $25 or less.

Just my 2¢

I would advise you to follow the advice that Ceasefire Orgeon gives you, which will be to melt down the rifle with an acetylene torch.

That will solve your neighbor's problem.

podborka_59.jpg

the onus is on the "seller" to get the background check done. He would have to pay for that. Then when its time to transfer it back to the owner, you would be legally required to get the background check done on the actual owner. You can make him pay for that if he wants it back.

another option is have the owner buy some kind of gun lock like a trigger lock, put it on the gun but only you keep the key. Gun stays at their house.

What he can do is have a family member in the same state hold onto it. I'm all for a bg check but this is a perfect example of why sb941 is completely stupid.

I don't know what to say other than it's sad we live in these times. I didn't grow up with kids threatening schools. I can't imagine...the wrath....from my father if I had ever done that in school. Screw the legal impacts...I would be hiding from my dad! *Shrugs* guess that's another topic in what's wrong with our country?

Edit: I do recall sb94commie saying it can only be immediate family? Like wife, husband, ect.

Oregon law gets grey when it has to do with gun storage, after all you can put a rifle in
a storage unit and well the storage company violates no law and yet they own the storage you own the lock. Another way which is silly for one rifle is he parks his property at yours and puts the rifle in it.
But I'm no lawyer.

So here is the reply from ceasefire that of course does not help...

Thank you for contacting Ceasefire Oregon. We cannot provide legal advice. We can tell you about Oregon firearm laws. You should not, however, take this information as legal advice.

According to the Oregon Firearm Safety Act (SB 941), a background check is required to transfer a firearm between non-family members, You and your friend can to go to a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL) to do this.

As an alternative, your friend could give the firearm to a qualified family member (i.e. someone who can legally possess a firearm) or ask local law enforcement to take possession of the firearm until other arrangements can be made.

According to the Oregon Firearm Safety Act (SB 941) transfers without a background check are permitted to the gun owner's qualified family members including:

d. A transferor's: spouse or domestic partner; parent or stepparent; a transferor's child or stepchild; a transferor's sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt or uncle, first cousin, niece or nephew, or the spouse or domestic partner of any of the above relatives; e. Spouse or domestic partner to any of the relatives noted in 2(d) above;​

Additional information is on our website.

SB 941 was enacted to prevent criminals from easily buying firearms. No one wants to harass law-abiding gun owners who are trying to prevent a tragedy.

Again, thank you for helping your friend and working to keep your community safe. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Penny Okamoto
Ceasefire Oregon

Good on you for thinking on helping out a friend/neighbor.

As mentioned, yeah either FFL transfer it, or suggest ways in which he can disassemble it & lock it up where the kid cannot have access to it. At all.

Give you or someone else outside the home the key.

Best in this circumstance would be out of the home, for documentation purposes.

ie...he can prove, with documentation, that the gun is no longer in his posession.

Do not get involved any further than offering an FFL transfer, with the contract to transfer it back when all is fine and well, or you may end up in a "he said" type situation.

Maybe mentioned before, How about go take the barrel off and take it home, then the gun is not functional any more. pretty easy on a 10/22.only need a couple of common tools. and the barrel is just a gun part, not a gun anymore.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top