JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am wondering if there is any benefit to packaging the already packaged store bought pasta using my FoodSaver. Would the double packaging help with storage? The packages will be in 5gl buckets with gamma lids and oxygenation packets.

vacuum seal it in it's original packaging. when you store it in the 5 gal bucket, it's triple sealed. archeologist will dig you and your pasta up in 3 millennia and note how well your pasta was preserved.

Having worked in the high speed packaging world for years I wouldnt vacuum seal. Any seal of package integrity issues and you are begging air to come in. Also with consumer grade vacuum seal machines you dont get rid of all the air you just get rid of the excess air. Throw it in a bucket with a chunk of dry ice. Once the dry ice is almost fully evaporated close and seal the lid. Keeps a slight over pressure in the pail. Much better to have positive pressure of a somewhat inert gas than negative pressure.

Having worked in the high speed packaging world for years I wouldnt vacuum seal. Any seal of package integrity issues and you are begging air to come in. Also with consumer grade vacuum seal machines you dont get rid of all the air you just get rid of the excess air. Throw it in a bucket with a chunk of dry ice. Once the dry ice is almost fully evaporated close and seal the lid. Keeps a slight over pressure in the pail. Much better to have positive pressure of a somewhat inert gas than negative pressure.

+1
And adding...
Because carbon dioxide is heavier than air. It stays in the bucket. Don't believe yourself? Light a match see how deep into the bucket it burns. Then you know it's ready for sealing.

Great tip on the dry ice!

If you don't want to go that route, and are still considering vacuum sealing...check out oxygen absorbers. LDS home store has 100 packs for $12. I just bought a bunch & it was $3 shipped for 4 packs.

Note: vacuum seal any unused absorbers.

-Also, while at the store site you can download there short text: "Basic Physical Health with Limited Resources - The Beginning of Self Reliance". Very nice well rounded how-to's & simple reminders.

vacuum seal it in it's original packaging. when you store it in the 5 gal bucket, it's triple sealed. archeologist will dig you and your pasta up in 3 millennia and note how well your pasta was preserved.
The archeologist will dig up you and your 5 gallon bucket artifact, scratch his head, and decide that your bucket o' pasta must have been a "religious artifact". (Old archeology joke: if you don't know what it is it's a "religious artifact")
Church of the Spaghetti Monster maybe?

I am wondering if there is any benefit to packaging the already packaged store bought pasta using my FoodSaver. Would the double packaging help with storage? The packages will be in 5gl buckets with gamma lids and oxygenation packets.

Edited...

I usually head over to Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukie, they have some fine long-term storage buckets. The newer ones are like the 5-gallon paint buckets and the new lids have an outer gasketed ring that snaps down pretty much in permanent fashion, then there is an inner gasketed screw on lid that allows access to the contents. (maybe these are what you are referring to?) They are great for filling up with rice or whatever...their black bean soup mix is really good! You can pile in as much stuff as you like and set it aside for the zombie apocalypse.

Don't forget the baby wipes.

Edited...

I usually head over to Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukie, they have some fine long-term storage buckets. The newer ones are like the 5-gallon paint buckets and the new lids have an outer gasketed ring that snaps down pretty much in permanent fashion, then there is an inner gasketed screw on lid that allows access to the contents. (maybe these are what you are referring to?) They are great for filling up with rice or whatever...their black bean soup mix is really good! You can pile in as much stuff as you like and set it aside for the zombie apocalypse.

I've gone to Bob's Red Mill and done just that. They also used to have wheat for sale already sealed in buckets, but I haven't seen those available lately.

Edited...

Yeah, sounds exactly like what a gamma lid is. Really nifty.

--and thanks for the reminder about Bobs Red Mill, good stuff in general. Winco can get 20-50lb bulk bags of many of Bobs grains in for you at a decent price. Saves on the drive for folks further away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top