JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have three 5-gallon gas cans and wanted to see if I could store fuel for 5 years and still be able to use it. In order to maximize my efforts, I filled the cans with clear gas (non-ethanol) and treated them with Pri-G. There are two dosage levels of the Pri-G product I used: 1/2 oz per 1.25 gallons to preserve good fuel, and 1 oz. per 1.25 gallons to bring bad fuel back to life. Since I intended for this to sit at least 5 years before use, I added the double dose, 4 oz. total in each 5-gallon can, even though my fuel was new.

Fast forward approximately 6 years. I wanted to test the fuel and rotate it to be sure I have a good backup supply, so I gave it the smell test and, once passed, put 5 gallons in my pickup which already had about 15 gallons in the tank. Driving it indicated no ill effects, so I dumped the other 10 gallons in and it ran no differently than it ever has. After my experience, I can confidently state that gasoline can be safely stored for 6 years or more if using clear gas, and adding a good dose of Pri-G.

Last Edited:
no experience with pri-g but have been using stabil for years. start with non eth gas. I put it in my generator, rototillers, chipper, anything that is going to sit for a while

I have a 55 gallon drum that I don't recall how long ago I filled it to the top and added some Pri-G occasionally. I do know it has been at least 2 years since I filled it and did not open it since then (IIRC). I do not keep real close track of it, because I have 5 gallon safety cans that I usually use for small engine use.

When the price of gas comes back down I will probably rotate it out.

I've never had problems with stored gas and I don't bother with whether it has ethanol or not. I also leave gas in various small engines for months at a time and have had no problems, same with motorcycles.

The only times I have had problems with gasoline has been when it had water in it, and that was one particular vehicle.

I have three 5-gallon gas cans and wanted to see if I could store fuel for 5 years and still be able to use it. In order to maximize my efforts, I filled the cans with clear gas (non-ethanol) and treated them with Pri-G. There are two dosage levels of the Pri-G product I used: 1/2 oz per 1.25 gallons to preserve good fuel, and 1 oz. per 1.25 gallons to bring bad fuel back to life. Since I intended for this to sit at least 5 years before use, I added the double dose, 4 oz. total in each 5-gallon can, even though my fuel was new.

Fast forward approximately 6 years. I wanted to test the fuel and rotate it to be sure I have a good backup supply, so I gave it the smell test and, once passed, put 5 gallons in my pickup which already had about 15 gallons in the tank. Driving it indicated no ill effects, so I dumped the other 10 gallons in and it ran no differently than it ever has. After my experience, I can confidently state that gasoline can be safely stored for 5 years or more if using clear gas, and adding a good dose of Pri-G.
Way cool, that explains how this feller got along for so long.

1647725450465.png

I think the big trick is to start with clear gas (no ethanol). Thanks for sharing that info.

Fast forward approximately 6 years. I wanted to test the fuel and rotate it to be sure I have a good backup supply, so I gave it the smell test and, once passed, put 5 gallons in my pickup which already had about 15 gallons in the tank. Driving it indicated no ill effects, so I dumped the other 10 gallons in and it ran no differently than it ever has. After my experience, I can confidently state that gasoline can be safely stored for 5 years or more if using clear gas, and adding a good dose of Pri-G.
That's a bold move! I will bet you had 3 steel Nato style Jerry Cans of high quality (not the cheap chinese imitations or plastic cans). I've been doing the same thing, leaving a tag on the can of the date of fill. I too add pri-g, and also Stabil 360. I haven't had the courage to leave it longer than a year. Good to know - thanks for the heads up.

I once bought a car that had sat in a driveway for 10ish years, I started it up and drove it home on what was in the tank. Didn't even dilute it or add anything, just drove on it tell it was time to fill up again. I've also parted out a few cars most where parked for some reason or another for an extended period of time before I bought and parted them out. I've also drained the tank and put it in my jeep or truck even stuff that smelled off. Never had any issues, but then I wouldn't try it in a high performance/high compression engine.

That's a bold move! I will bet you had 3 steel Nato style Jerry Cans of high quality (not the cheap chinese imitations or plastic cans).
I'm using Justrite Type II steel safety cans since they're stored in my garage. Made in USA and were about $70/each when I bought them 6 years ago. Can't find them now for under $100...

What are you looking for in the smell test? What does spoiled gasoline smell like?
Just wanted to be sure it still smelled like gas. Nothing scientific about it.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe it besides "different" but when its old it does have a different smell to it.

On a separate note my advice is to never let ethanol gas sit in a carbureted engine, injection isn't as susceptible to getting plugged/clogged up because they are high pressure. But carburetors are easily clogged the ethanol attracts moisture and gums things up.

Thought I should clarify by "sit" I mean extended period of time as in over winter even a couple months is generally fine.

In the late 1980's (before gasahol in Oregon) I bought two 1960 Thunderbirds that hadn't been run for at least five years from two different sellers. I winched them onto a car trailer and brought them home. I didn't trust the gas that was in them, and drained the tanks before even trying to crank them over. The gas that came out was a green color, and had no strong vapor smell. I had to purge the fuel lines and the carburetors before starting the engines.

Even without ethanol, the gas had gone bad. From my experience, modern gas seems to have some sort of stabilization additives. Ethanol gas still goes bad faster and eats up fuel system components, especially in small engines. I buy non-ethanol regular gas for my small engines, chainsaws, and lawn/garden equipment. I run ethanol gas in a fuel-injected 7.5L (460) 1995 Ford truck that sits a lot, especially over the Winter, and it seems to work OK.

For long term storage of gasoline you want to keep it dry and at a stable temperature mainly. Kept in a more airtight container than an average gas can and properly stored gas will still be usable in low performance engines.

The main problem people run into with ethanol gas is letting it sit in the float bowls of a carburetor. Those air nowhere near airtight and allow the gas to slowly evaporate out, leaving the green colored goo in all the cracks and crevices.

If you let the float bowls run dry before storage this is not a problem and can save a lot of headache.

What are you looking for in the smell test? What does spoiled gasoline smell like?
It doesn't smell like gas, more like, "something oily, never smelled before."
I'd compare it to some baijiu or tequila that I've consumed before. A "WTF?" smell.
Yeah, have had to clear out lots of green goo, and have two float bowls / carbs to rebuild presently.
Don't even know where to get "non-ethanol" gas, and wouldn't trust that it is truly that.

In the late 1980's (before gasahol in Oregon) I bought two 1960 Thunderbirds that hadn't been run for at least five years from two different sellers. I winched them onto a car trailer and brought them home. I didn't trust the gas that was in them, and drained the tanks before even trying to crank them over. The gas that came out was a green color, and had no strong vapor smell. I had to purge the fuel lines and the carburetors before starting the engines.

Even without ethanol, the gas had gone bad. From my experience, modern gas seems to have some sort of stabilization additives. Ethanol gas still goes bad faster and eats up fuel system components, especially in small engines. I buy non-ethanol regular gas for my small engines, chainsaws, and lawn/garden equipment. I run ethanol gas in a fuel-injected 7.5L (460) 1995 Ford truck that sits a lot, especially over the Winter, and it seems to work OK.
McCall Oil co at their dozen service stations around Portland Gresham Eugene sold Gasohol (E-10) as early as the summer of 1980 I managed service stations for them and sold it at 3 of the Stations I ran. All the other stations in the chain sold it as well. I ran a 1970 Opal 1500 Station Wagon on it with a little Weber two barrel carb it ran like a raped ape.

Interesting discussion. I wonder if the summer/blend additives might gunk the gas up quicker. Thanks for the gas tank link DM. These $170 Stainless Jerry cans make those look like a bargain:) (ps, I don't own these, just regular Wavien Polish made jerry cans which are awesome). https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/5-gallon-20-liter-stainless-steel-metal-gelg-jerry-can/

In case anyone doesn't have the link to where one can get non-ethanol: https://www.pure-gas.org/ If you live in Portland and choose "Oregon", just be aware that they list 11 stations with non-ethanol in Vancouver but you need to select "Washington".

.....and there was an app on the iphone for a while as well.

One thing to remember is that a lot of stations use shared hoses, meaning the first (1/2 gallon maybe) of your expensive non ethanol is not what you are paying for. The contents that you are missing on this transaction goes into the next person's tank. Not an issue when I'm driving the wife's car with the gas jugs, just squirt a half gal in the car and fill the tanks. On the motorcycle or my diesel pickup I just deal with it, LOL.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top