JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always changed my own oil in my previous vehicles and still do it my self for my 2014 Ford Taurus. At the dealer it would cost around $50-$60, I can change it myself using Motorcraft synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter for around $28.

Walmart sells the Motorcraft craft oil and filter.

Not only is it cheaper but I also enjoy working on my car.

I do. It is more economical as I run full synthetic on my '02 F150. Takes about 6.5 qts. or so. No way I'm going to spend $70 or more on an oil change at the dealership, WallyMart, or one of those drive in places like Speedy Lube.

BX/PX has Mobil 1, Castroil, and Penzoil full synthetic for $23 and less per 5 qt. jug. O'Reillys get my money for a Wix filter since the BX/PX caries Fram.

Well if you consider dealer cost vs retail? 5 qts oil + filter, doesn't ring up to $60.00. That's what Honda jacked their price up to. And that's why our next car won't be from that dealership, and maybe not even Honda.
Retail oil change (and what I pay) is $74.95+tax. 5qts of euro diesel and a decent filter is $70 or more. Then consider the drain plug and/or washer. The savings is less than the convenience.

I've seen the horror stories and aftermath of the places that change oil when they make simple mistakes. Which they pretty much have all been caught doing. So I do as much to all of my own vehicle maintenance as possible.

I've seen many cars damaged by the fast lube shops. Drain plug threads in pan stripped out ,cross threaded , ect . Filters not on tight . Puddles of oil under them the next morning , blown engines, They don't touch anything of miine.

Oil changes are one of the few things I can do anymore. I change the oil in all of our vehicles. It's easy, I know what went in and that it was done right. Once I took my truck to a oil change place and asked them to use the Mobil 1 I brought in. Long story short, I asked for the empty container so I could dump some old oil in it. Lots of hemming and hawing. The guy put the jug in his trunk and didn't even touch my oil. If I hadn't caught them, I would have paid them to let me keep my old oil and steal a jug of Mobil 1.

My vehicles all specify 5K oil changes. I use Mobil 1 and have been changing around 10 months or 8K. Even then, I know I still have a margin of safety. My daughter drives a Ford Focus and mostly freeway driving. I sent in her last oil change sample to Blackstone Lab with 13K on the oil. They recommended going 2K more and rechecking (not change).

Hiway miles on long trips a huge difference, and is easier on everything . driving in town stop and go ,short trips ,and extreme conditions like towing , 4 wheeling ect , 3k max

Retail oil change (and what I pay) is $74.95+tax. 5qts of euro diesel and a decent filter is $70 or more. Then consider the drain plug and/or washer. The savings is less than the convenience.

I was raised by depression era parents. Their brains, being born in 1920 and 1926, were different because of the depression. My brain has the markers, from being raised by them. I don't consider it a bad thing. It's sort of a badge of honor to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top