JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A long time ago when I owned my first car- yes.

Later on when it was less hassle and expense going to oil change place- no.

IMG_20190605_131816260_zpsb0qfcur7.jpg

Nowadays with this rig, oil changes are up around the $90.00 range, so it's back to doing it myself, especially since I now work for a company where I can get synthetic oil at cost. :confused: It's my own labor, and I can change it for less than half the cost of anywhere else.

View attachment 587251

Nowadays with this rig, oil changes are up around the $90.00 range, so it's back to doing it myself. :confused:

Just got my sister a similar rig from Toyota. The dealership threw in 90k miles of oil changes in with the deal. Makes it easy.

1984 GMC 1500, yes. 1969 Chevy 3/4 ton, yes. Merc 75 2-stroke, lower end, yes. Merc 9.9 kicker, yes. 2005 Honda CR-V, hell NO!

OP, I'm right there with you.

A long time ago, when every penny counted, I used to do a lot of my own work.

Now that I am older, and more financially able, there are some things that aren't worth me doing anymore. (meaning = I don't want to do it anymore :D)

Like you, I started doing my own oil changes on my current rig (Ford F350 with a 6.7L diesel) shortly after I got it. 13 QT's of oil adds up real fast when taking it someplace to have it done.

Now, when I am underneath, I think "you know, this feels good! I kinda miss it."

:s0155:

I've seen the horror stories and aftermath of the places that change oil when they make simple mistakes. Which they pretty much have all been caught doing. So I do as much to all of my own vehicle maintenance as possible.

OP, I'm right there with you.

A long time ago, when every penny counted, I used to do a lot of my own work.

Now that I am older, and more financially able, there are some things that aren't worth me doing anymore. (meaning = I don't want to do it anymore :D)

Like you, I started doing my own oil changes on my current rig (Ford F350 with a 6.7L diesel) shortly after I got it. 13 QT's of oil adds up real fast when taking it someplace to have it done.

Now, when I am underneath, I think "you know, this feels good! I kinda miss it."

:s0155:

I have the same truck. For the first few oil changes, I took it to the dealer because I figured the extra inspections by trained, certified technicians might be worth it on the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased in my life.

On the final trip, I saw on one of their inspections sheets under engine; "Ford 6.2L gas V8" (I have the 6.7 diesel). I figure if they can't be bothered to get that detail right, the other checked off boxes on their inspection sheet can't really be trusted either.

I also had them do a tire rotation that trip, when I got home I discovered the fronts had 80psi and the rears 65psi. This confirmed their inspection sheet was complete bunk and from there on I've done my own maintenance.

View attachment 587251

Nowadays with this rig, oil changes are up around the $90.00 range, so it's back to doing it myself, especially since I now work for a company where I can get synthetic oil at cost. :confused: It's my own labor, and I can change it for less than half the cost of anywhere else.

Why is it so high for that rig?
On the new car I bought last year it came with free for life so that one goes to dealer. One jeep the filter is in a spot it is a HUGE PITA to get at filter. So that one I will normally pay for. Now if it was $90 I would I am sure do it myself.

I've seen the horror stories and aftermath of the places that change oil when they make simple mistakes. Which they pretty much have all been caught doing. So I do as much to all of my own vehicle maintenance as possible.

That is why I AVOID the "quick in and out" joints. I just do not trust the kids they have working there. Figure going to the place I get my work done is a little more but them I trust far more.

Something to make oil changes a little easier. I have these on our rigs.
F-111 - Engine Oil Drain Valve 14mm-1.25 | FUMOTO

Those are awesome. I've had one on my cars for the last 15 years. Makes it a breeze and no chance of stripping the oil pan.

As far as oil change places go, I don't trust them one bit. I used to drive a company vehicle and put on a lot of miles so I would get oil changes done at quick lubes instead of the dealership due to convenience. Those monkeys jacked up so many things that I lost complete faith in any of them. I would NEVER let them touch my personal car.

Back in the day, I changed the oil on our vehicles myself, religiously, on the old 3,000 or every three months rule. Ditto most other routine maintenance (filters, plugs, wires, fluids, bulbs, etc.).

These days, I'm so slammed for time, that I have our regular mechanic down the street from my office/workshop handle it. True, if I did it myself, it would be a bit less cost-wise, but the newer vehicles don't require it as often, and I run full synthetics. (shrug) If I was ever less shot up time-wise, I might handle it again.

P.S. Not sure on those quick lube places either. I never personally have had a problem the few times I've used them, but I have heard of issues.

I change it myself because of mistakes made when I've had it done - including a drain plug rattling loose on the drive home. It was only by luck that the engine wasn't damaged. If I had a trusted mechanic then maybe. Changing it myself also means I can pick the oil, filters, and do other routine maintenance. It also guarantees that crusher washers get replaced and I am a big fan of fumoto valves as well. Makes the job much easier and cleaner.

Most oils are pretty good these days, just stick to the change interval bast on type. Filters are a whole different critter, and some are much better than others. Orange filters don't get used in any engine I own. I use NAPA Gold based on the forums at bobistheoilguy.com. Believe it or not there are enthusiasts that buy filters and cut them apart to see how they are built as well as do use tests complete with lab analysis and then a dissection of the used filter.

For my car, yes. For my SO's car, we pay somebody else to do it since it requires a proprietary wrench and we thought we were going to sell/trade it before now...

1) They left my oil cap off...oil everywhere. (Shame on them)
2) They filled it 2 quarts low. (Shame on me for going back)

Now I do it myself....unfortunately.

In Nj a gas attendant left my cap open. I thought the idea of a gas attendant was that people aren't smart enough to put in their own gasoline.

I based that off a person commenting that we need the attendants so they don't get gasoline on themselves (how do you even get gasoline on yourself?).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top