JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite part about service places is their "added" services.

I had a very long and loud argument with a tire installer once for opening the hood on my truck when I was there for new tires.

"It's standard procedure"

I was pissed. Absolutely zero reasons to be dicking around with my fluids or filters when I'm paying to have my tires installed.

Don't get me started on the "jiffy" or "oil can" places and there little make believe sheet of colored fluids. They don't even uncap your trans or diff to get a sample of your fluid, not that they should be if your there for only oil. They have bottles of the dirty fluids in the bay and just mock up the placard each time to scare people in an additional charge. Anyone who has swapped diff or trans fluid knows it doesn't happen in the same time it takes to change your oil. Scam.

I used to do it. Now it's cheaper for somebody else to do it.

Doing work on my vehicles is no longer enjoyable with my busy life so I'll spend $10 more to not have to do it. My time and labor isn't free on this one.

"Cheaper"? Lolz.
Ever time one a them btards laid hands on anything I or anyone I knew on, they did their darndest to flat destroy it.
And I ain't even no rocket boi.

And the last time I had my Patriot at Tonkin for an oil change, when they were done, all the stuff in my glove compartment was dumped on the floor and my vehicle registration was missing.

In the CRV changing the cabin air filters would dump the glove box. I just pull them out and use the compressor to blow 'em out.

This thread motivated me! I got home early and thought about turning on the classic country in the computer/loading room and pressing out that other 100 9mm I've got primed. I decided to change the oil in the work truck instead. 1969 Chev 3/4 ton, with a canister oil filter. Under there getting the old gasket out, new one in, and tightening the canister down when it started to rain, rain hard! I'm glad I left the hood down. It only lasted 5 minutes though. You ever notice how a vehicle seems to run better with fresh oil, or a wash and/or wax? One truck down, one to go.

Not sure how it's cheaper? Oil & Filter is $70 at Jiffy Lube, I can do it for $35 and it takes 5-10 minutes tops.
$35 is a lot of Brown pops...

Not sure how it's cheaper? Oil & Filter is $70 at Jiffy Lube, I can do it for $35 and it takes 5-10 minutes tops.

$25 for for a dino oil change at my local shop. It will cost me $20 for filter and oil. $5 for labor is a steal. So not literally cheaper, but considering my time it sure is.

Last Edited:

Damn! That is high. I get mine free from the dealer but the price they list if I had to pay is $40 for Dino blend, $60 for synthetic. This is a dealer, so shocked a lube house is that high.
Damn dealer is in Auburn which is enough of a drive I am tempted to just pay closer to home. I take it to them so there is record of the changes and inspection. In case warranty work is needed. Can show they have been working on the car since new.

Last Edited:
Don't forget the Mobil 1 rebate. You can get $12 back on a 5 quart jug. I bought a jug of Mobil 1 AFE at Walmart for $22.95. After rebate it's $10.95 plus the tax.

This year, Mobil is only offering a rebate on one 5-qt jug. In past years it was up to two jugs. The rebate is all online now and just takes a few weeks to get it.

Some years ago while at OCH, I watched the monitor they which showed various camera angles of my vehicle and I didn't see them lubing the chassis. I went home and checked and it looked as it had never been done! I called and complained and they said they don't lune the chassis. I then begin changing my own oil again... and yes lubing the chassis too.

Wow, this really sounds like the grumpy old man, "back in my day" thread.
Not to defend or condemn oil change places, but here are some actual facts:
-LOF is a loss leader. In a shop setting, it's purpose is to get the car in the bay in the hopes that it needs additional (profitable) work.
-Lube techs aren't seasoned, A-level pros. Some will be some day, but today they're green. Things will be missed and accidents will happen.
If you want a "good" tech to do it then it'll need to be scheduled during additional work while its racked in an actual service bay. These techs are probably getting paid .2 - .3 to do an oil change so while it's no big deal if the car is already racked for a brake job or something, he isn't likely to be actively seeking out waiter LOFs.
-All cars and all customers are different. Some customers will complain if you even hint that there are additional needs while the next will be upset that you didn't notate the inop USB port in the back seat during the multipoint inspection. Can't win.
-There are many things that just aren't intended to be serviceable anymore. Go ahead and try to do a transmission service on your Egoboost in your driveway and tell me if you think anyone can do that for $29 and stay in business. Greasable suspension components and Ujoints are extremely rare anymore.

My advice would be to learn your own vehicle and do it yourself. I already did my speech about intervals. Most areas do curbside pickup of waste oil. If not, lots of shops have waste oil heaters and they'll gladly accept the free fuel.

-Just the unsolicited ramblings of a has-been.

Wow, this really sounds like the grumpy old man, "back in my day" thread.
Not to defend or condemn oil change places, but here are some actual facts:
-LOF is a loss leader. In a shop setting, it's purpose is to get the car in the bay in the hopes that it needs additional (profitable) work.
-Lube techs aren't seasoned, A-level pros. Some will be some day, but today they're green. Things will be missed and accidents will happen.
If you want a "good" tech to do it then it'll need to be scheduled during additional work while its racked in an actual service bay. These techs are probably getting paid .2 - .3 to do an oil change so while it's no big deal if the car is already racked for a brake job or something, he isn't likely to be actively seeking out waiter LOFs.
-All cars and all customers are different. Some customers will complain if you even hint that there are additional needs while the next will be upset that you didn't notate the inop USB port in the back seat during the multipoint inspection. Can't win.
-There are many things that just aren't intended to be serviceable anymore. Go ahead and try to do a transmission service on your Egoboost in your driveway and tell me if you think anyone can do that for $29 and stay in business. Greasable suspension components and Ujoints are extremely rare anymore.

My advice would be to learn your own vehicle and do it yourself. I already did my speech about intervals. Most areas do curbside pickup of waste oil. If not, lots of shops have waste oil heaters and they'll gladly accept the free fuel.

-Just the unsolicited ramblings of a has-been.

Hmmm. Well, I may be old but I'm definitely not grumpy. I used to own a car that I could get the $19.99 oil changes on. But when I bought my Tundra, those oil changes jumped to $90 - $120 (depending on where I looked). It was really a no-brainer to start doing my own oil changes again. Especially when I can buy full synthetic oil from my work for $2.75 a quart.

I went through a period of paying others to do my oil change when I was much busier. I'm still busy but don't drive as much now and, with synthetics, I change my oil every 6-9 months and do it myself. Save about $50. I don't mind crawling under my truck once every 6 months, and it gives me a chance to inspect other items as well.

I work at a dealer, so I let them do it. Plus the current cost of oil/quality filter is just as much as a dealer.

Well if you consider dealer cost vs retail? 5 qts oil + filter, doesn't ring up to $60.00. That's what Honda jacked their price up to. And that's why our next car won't be from that dealership, and maybe not even Honda.

Just did the first oil change on my new Chev PU at 5k (factory rec's 7.5k!). I was surprised to find out it takes 8 quarts, maybe that's how these manufacturers are extending the intervals-by increasing the sheer volume of oil.

I change the oil in my 1993 Nissan pickup truck. I hate the oil filter location since on very back on the left side of the engine. I have reach in a fit an oil filter wrench over the filter. The truck is 4x4 so crawl underneath just fine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top