JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did over 1000 dryfire at home the last couple of weeks with reset, went to the range yesterday thinking "I got this, ezpz". Nope, still can't do the very basic fundamental double tap. First bullet is in "as expected", second went into limbo no where to be found. So frustrated.

IMHO (and IF I may suggest?)......
You're not suppose to..... "pull the trigger" for the 2nd shot.....until you're back on target.

In other words..... Start slow and work your way up (to getting faster).

Aloha, Mark

Many people will jerk the trigger on the second round. It's nice practice to start with an airsoft and then transition. That way you can see where that second shot is going and what the cause is.

How far was your target? I find the second round usually climbs. I only practice double taps with my CCW piece and only inside 5 yards. Anything else is a waste of ammo, IMHO.

You're not suppose to..... "pull the trigger" for the 2nd shot.....until you're back on target.

Aloha, Mark
I'll add, it helps to focus on the target and wait for the sights to come down from recoil. The front aight should land right on target naturally. I make no claim to being a speed steel guy, but I know practice makes perfect. Also costs a lot in ammo, especially now days.

Yep.

Start in slow motion and perform all the steps in slow motion with correct grip, sighting, etc. Then go a little faster doing the exact same physical steps. When you have one speed working, move up a tiny bit. If you fail at the faster speed, drop back down and do that to perfection before going back up. Also, a shot timer will help you slow down because you'll have actual numbers to work from.

Are you building up to the speed or just trying to fire as fast as you can? Dry fire practice is important but does have some limitations with this type of shooting. Suggest starting with controlled pairs at a slower pace and keeping them on target, like a paper plate at 3 - 5 yards. Build up your speed while keeping them on the plate. Speed up until you miss the second shot then slow down a bit.

Don't think of this a basic or fundamental compared with slow fire shooting. It is a different skillset and requires deliberate practice and building up to the technique. It is a transition between controlled pairs (two different sight pictures, followed by another one after you are finished shooting) to quick "double taps" (one sight picture followed by one after the shots).

Don't beat yourself up on this. If it was easy Rob Leatham would be out of work.

A fast miss is still a miss. Practice first getting two solid hits. One thing you might try is to tack up two paper plates side by side and try to put a round in each one. Slow down until you get two solid hits, one in each one. Once you can do that regularly you'll have a base point to work from. Or just get a big enough gun so that a double tap in ridiculous.:)

Check your grip after the first shot: After the recoil has subsided, are your sights back on target? If the gun isn't back where it should be, or if you're adjusting your grip after that first shot, well, then there ya go.

I you hit good enough with one..
Hit good enough with one and then do that again with the second one. You'll be a two tappin foo in no time.. or save a bunch of ammo.

Yep.

Start in slow motion and perform all the steps in slow motion with correct grip, sighting, etc. Then go a little faster doing the exact same physical steps. When you have one speed working, move up a tiny bit. If you fail at the faster speed, drop back down and do that to perfection before going back up. Also, a shot timer will help you slow down because you'll have actual numbers to work from.

Yep! Controlled singles, become controlled pairs, become double taps, become machine gun finger.

Here I always thought to double-tap was just hitting your target with second insurance shot ...I never considered it as having anything to do with a specific time between shots.
As in, hit the target, get closer and carefully shoot again to verify the outcome.

Seems kinda "Movie Hitman" or, Zombieland-ish

Zombieland,The Rules
  • Cardio. To escape a pursuing zombie you will need to out-run it, and this means being in good shape.
  • Double Tap. When in doubt, don't get stingy with your bullets. ...
  • Beware of Bathrooms. ...
  • Buckle Up. ...
  • Travel Light. ...
  • Don't Be A Hero. ...
  • Limber Up. ...
  • When In Doubt, Always Know Your Way Out.

If you find that the second shot is going high due to muzzle flip, just aim you first shot at the groin. Second shot should be fine if it's a bit high from there.

Relax. Things like this require time and experience.

Though it does not account for recoil, Dry fire with a (constant on) laser is an eyeopener as to your real stability during trigger pull.
tape any sort of cheap laser on your gun and just try keep it trained on a light switch or whatever while pulling the trigger.

If you find that the second shot is going high due to muzzle flip, just aim you first shot at the groin. Second shot should be fine if it's a bit high from there.

Relax. Things like this require time and experience.

I'm going to try that next time at the range, good tip. :)

Right now I have zero clue where the 2nd shot is.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews